Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leonid meteor shower this weekend!

http://www.planetary.org/news/2006/1...006__When.html

And for all you lucky folks living in the Northeast US, you might see as many as 600 meteors an hour! THAT would be impressive.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Leonid meteor shower this weekend!

problem with the leonids and the perseids is that if you're in a major city with lots of ambient atmospherics, you cant see em well. and lucky me, in a perfect spot up in the mountains of colorado and its gonna be snowing.

Comment

I went a few years back when it was the best in years and years and years, they say. We drove almost two hours north of Memphis, on the bank of the Mississippi River. We arrived at our destination just before 1AM and didn't leave until dawn.

I was looking at the ground, having been out for hours, as I rearranged a blanket some of us were lying on. The woman in a chair next to me lit up. Everything lit up. Her FACE lit up! She YELPED, struggling to pull her mouth away from the hot chocolate she was drinking long enough to get our attention! Several other folks made a holler, seeing it for themselves. I turn around just in time to see *fallaway* from this beast of a "shooting star"..... several of the chunks falling *off* of this thing were bigger than anything I'd seen in a long time.

I didn't see the beast itself, but it lit up everything on the ground. I could have read a newspaper. What I *did* see was whatever you call that which it left behind: this blue streak in the pitch black dome of the sky. It looked like a vapor trail, and it hung in the sky for almost 15 minutes, slowly bending and contorting in shape before finally fading out of view.

Man, what a night. Driving home, we came to consensus that, even considering the "slow times" of the night, we saw *something* every *six* seconds throughout the entire night, most of which were quite impressive to one degree or another.

I've always had a fascination with the night sky. I doubt I'll go this year, but I look forward to many more meteor showers in the future.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'm not seeing anything about it for the west coast. Will us west coasters have a chance to see it?
        |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
        [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

The Leonids aren't usually that thrilling. It sounds like they will be better than usual this year, but don't set your expectations too high. If you don't get a very dark location with a very clear sky, that 100 per hour will look more like 3 per hour, because you won't see most of them.
          Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer View Post
            I'm not seeing anything about it for the west coast. Will us west coasters have a chance to see it?
            Everyone should be able to see an increase in the number of shooting stars, but it just won't be that impressive compared to other areas...

How often do you see shooting stars? Wouldn't it be cool to sit out on your back porch with a cup of coffee or cocoa and snuggle up next to someone special under a warm blanket and see a shooting star every minute or so? Occasionally see several shoot across the sky all at once?

I think it's cool...
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
              How often do you see shooting stars? Wouldn't it be cool to sit out on your back porch with a cup of coffee or cocoa and snuggle up next to someone special under a warm blanket and see a shooting star every minute or so? Occasionally see several shoot across the sky all at once?

I think it's cool...
              Yeah maybe, but then again, if it was a constant thing, it just wouldn't be as "special". We dont all get up at the crack of dawn for sunrise, or look forward to the sunset in the evening, because we know it happens every day, even if they too can sometimes be spectacular in the right setting. The fact that we don't see shooting stars all the time, is, for me, the very reason that makes it special to witness.
              Admittedly it would make it a lot easier to plan one of these "snuggle" sessions though.
              It matters not what letters or numbers come before my name, I'll always be 1stMIP.

sigpic

"It is all about being a teamplayer. Give a kitchen sink to a teamplayer and he'll find a way to support his squad with it."
              - John_CANavar (Marshall & Founder of the 1st Mechanized Infantry Platoon)

Comment

It's very cool. I try to catch the Perseids every year, but I often forget. This year, I was camping with family and I just happened to see a shooting star. Then I realized that it was August 12th (? - the day of peak Perseids, I can't remember for sure), and we all ran down to the beach to check 'em out. Unfortunately, the very bright moon came up and washed out the party about an hour later.
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Well, I was busy helping my sister in law move into her new house this weekend, so I only saw ONE shooting star all weekend.
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I just went out for a smoke and saw 4 shooting stars in about ten seconds. 3 were pretty cool, but one of them was HUGE and left a bright, glowing trail that was absolutely gorgeous!

The Perseids are in town, folks!

I just read that they're peaking this weekend and that it's a new moon, so this is prime meteor shower watching!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

same here bro,, last night i seen 3 all together,,, 2 were ok but one was HUGE, BRIGHT, and had a long trail to it,,, best one ive seen yet... BTW this shower has been going on for almost 2 weeks now :P just between tonight and the 12th is suppost to be the best

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X