Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen gadgets

To follow up on the recipe thread...

Seen any good kitchen gadgets for the chef that has everything? With emphasis on things that actually get used, and not just take up counter or cupboard space.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Kitchen gadgets

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca.../sku__SI212BLU

This is very cool, works like a charm too :)
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. sigpic

Comment

Was just looking for some Christmas gifts on Amazon today.. Anyone have a decent probe thermometer they can recommend? Stick the probe in the cut of meat in the oven, wire runs to the outside of the oven to the display unit.. Right temp is reached, display unit starts to beep.. The reviews of the ones I looked at on Amazon all kinda stunk. I see Alton Brown use em all the time on his show, so I figure there has to be a good one out there.

I have a couple of these silicon baking mats in my cart.. I see those used on the Food channel too.
      Battlefield Admin() ()
      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
      | for | |

Comment

Never have enough sporks.
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

The Quick Chop is pretty great. I use it to cut onions or mince garlic, or when there's a lot of vegetables to prep. Or if you're looking to spend more a set of high quality knives, like Wusthof's.
          Beatnik

Comment

Three words: Ro-ta-to. Just keep turning the lever, and in no time at all you have apple salad. Assuming you put an apple in the thing and not a cucumber or something.

Comment

deep fryer

I hate dealing with trying to get the oil to the right temperature when I need to fry something, it just ends up more of a problem than its worth. I am currently looking into picking one up.

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                I seriously want to get a few of these sporks: http://www.countycomm.com/spork.htm

One to leave in my car, one to put in my work bag, three to go in our camping gear...

Originally posted by perry View Post
                I have a couple of these silicon baking mats in my cart.. I see those used on the Food channel too.
                All of the new silicone stuff out there for the kitchen is fantastic! I remember when I first saw a silicone oven mitt at Sharper Image. They were also demoing some fancy BBQ grill outside and the salesman picked up a red hot glowing coal with the mitt and then told me to do the same! It wasn't even warm. If you don't like mitts, there are plenty of thinner potholders out there that are VERY cheap and VERY practical. I highly recommend that you throw out your old potholders (ever used one after it got a bit wet? Ouch!) and replace 'em with silicone. Much safer.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by perry View Post
                  Was just looking for some Christmas gifts on Amazon today.. Anyone have a decent probe thermometer they can recommend? Stick the probe in the cut of meat in the oven, wire runs to the outside of the oven to the display unit.. Right temp is reached, display unit starts to beep.
                  America's Test Kitchen is a show on PBS that looks at all sorts of equipment. Here's their page (registration req'd) on remote/cordless probe thermometers. If you don't feel like registering, they recommend the $15 Taylor Wireless Meat Thermometer. My brother and sister-in-law have one (not sure what brand) and love it.

If you like Alton Brown dude look for ATK on PBS. It's a great show and they work quite a bit of food science into their presentation as well.
                  Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                    ThinkGeek has a titanium camp spork:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/8ace/

As I look around my friend's kitchen, I see all the stuff you've all suggested. That's what makes this so hard. :p (And she's a Food TV addict.)

She's currently building a new kitchen (part of adding a second story to the house) and her new dishwasher is one of those that looks like 2 drawers.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                      As I look around my friend's kitchen, I see all the stuff you've all suggested. That's what makes this so hard. :p (And she's a Food TV addict.)
                      Does she have a T-Rex squirt bottle???

Oh yea, I love my Pampered Chef pizza stone.. I cook about everything on it. I'm supposed to be getting a toaster oven sized one for Christmas ;)
                      Last edited by perry; 11-25-2006, 10:31 PM.
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                      | for | |

Comment

Every chef needs sharp knives, and there's no easier way to make that happen than one of these: Fiskars Knife Sharpener

I've got 2 Global knives (8" chef and 8" fillet) that I use a LOT, and this keeps them both razor-blade sharp... It has two wheels aligned in a V - once or twice a week, I'll run the knife through it after washing... just 4-5 passes (all in same direction), and you're a happy camper next time you pull out the blade.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                          Every chef needs sharp knives, and there's no easier way to make that happen than one of these: Fiskars Knife Sharpener

I've got 2 Global knives (8" chef and 8" fillet) that I use a LOT, and this keeps them both razor-blade sharp... It has two wheels aligned in a V - once or twice a week, I'll run the knife through it after washing... just 4-5 passes (all in same direction), and you're a happy camper next time you pull out the blade.
                          Good call. Quality, sharp knives are a must in any kitchen. There are quite a few good quality knives out there. I've got some Henckels Professionals that I've been happy with, but if I were buying kitchen knives now, I'd go with the Kershaw Shun line of knives. I think they're the best on the market right now.

And if you want your knives to get a little bit sharper than the Fiskars sharpener can get 'em, I recommend the Spyderco Sharpmaker for getting a sharper edge that lasts longer. The trick is to put a 30 degree back bevel on the blade, and then a 40-45 degree "micro" bevel on the very edge. The edge will be stronger and last longer. Using just a 30 degree edge, you'll roll the metal edge over the first time it comes in contact with anything harder than wood (like a bone or a platter).
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Probe thermometer: go with whatever Alton Brown suggests. My wife swears by him and cooks great.
                            A kitchen scale is also indispensable - check out this article.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X