News Spyder/ Auto Searching?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Spyder/ Auto Searching?

So I'm hoping some of the more technically minded folks have a solution out there for this. I'm looking for a tool/website/whatever that scans news sites (frequency between daily and weekly) for articles based on specific search criteria.

For example, I would like to have a scanner setup on the Dallas Morning News that scanned their site daily for any mention of a client from our client list. I would also love to have it scanned for keywords applicable to my industry, such as "benefits AND health care".

I imagine when all is said and done, I might have a few hundred of these items running. My hope is to be more informed at my job and be they guy that brings the attention of articles about our clients/industry to the firm.

Anyone know of something like this?

Re: News Spyder/ Auto Searching?

What you're looking for is most likely an RSS aggregator with automatic search functionality. I'm not sure of any animals like this currently in nature, but I don't think it would be too complex of a task to create one.

I think the trick is going to be getting the full content of the articles for analysis rather than the normal rss "preview" articles.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Is there something neat you could do with the Google New Feeds?
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Thanks guys, sounds like I want a little more than what is commonly available. I'll give the RSS thing a try for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner View Post
          For example, I would like to have a scanner setup on the Dallas Morning News that scanned their site daily for any mention of a client from our client list. I would also love to have it scanned for keywords applicable to my industry, such as "benefits AND health care".
          You want Google Alerts. I set one up a couple of years ago for a specific nationwide law enforcement operation that I participated in, and I still get emails whenever there's a new article that mentions the specific terms that I included in the alert. I got an email every day back when the operation was taking place, now I get one every month or so... If you're specific enough, I can see how hundreds of these could do exactly what you want them to do. The trick would be finding the key words that won't give you crap that you're not interested in...

Oh: http://www.google.com/alerts

Alternatively, you could set up a Google Homepage just for this research, and have it filled with the various news searches that you want done. Here's how part of my Google Homepage is set up for some general articles that interest me:

Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Google Custom Search Engine

You build a custom search engine that has a defined list of keywords and a defined list of websites.

So you could add they keywords "benefits" and "healthcare" and then add all of the news sites. You save the search, and then you're good to go.
            |TG-12th| asch
            sigpic

Comment

Wow those are pretty impressive Cing and Asch. Not surprised Google would be the solution here :)

I'll give them a try and see what I like the most.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X