KICK Your Habit Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KICK Your Habit Thread

Tried kicking a habit but not getting any support from friends, co-workers, acquaintances or anyone else you know? Is all you get is laughter, mocking and discouragement? Of course that type of thing would never happen at TG :) Everyone's got your back! So if you have a habit that you would like to break and need to log your progress, this is the thread. Of course there will be those cynics who will try and break your will, but pay them no mind. Wanna quit smoking? Document it here. Want to play MORE video games? This is the place. You can document daily, weekly or even monthly.

Here's my kick:

I drink way too much Coke. Some may call it pop, soda, cola, carbonated beverage, etc. Whatever term you use to call water and sugar mixed together, I drink more than one should. I'm trying to cut back, or if possible, entirely. Nothing better than playing any of my games with a big 7-Eleven 32 oz. Coke at my side. Standing next to the fountain filling up my cup with sweet delicious Coke on a Saturday afternoon anticipating what tactics I'll be using in BF 2 or BF 2142 for the rest of the day is a glorious thing.

However, all the Coke I'm consuming is effecting my health. All that refined sugar has packed on some pounds, rotting my teeth and has made me lethargic alot of the time. One regular can of Coke has 140 calories and 39 grams of sugar! That's 39 packets of sugar! Crazy bad.

So I'm cutting back, way back. For one week, beginning today, I will not have a Coke or any other high calorie beverage. After Wednesday of next week, I will limit myself too two Coke's on Saturday and one on Sunday. It's gonna be really difficult for me. It should be a real test of will. I'll keep a daily post of my progress.

Coca-Cola is my substance abuse problem. This next week could be a descent into madness!
    Last edited by TheFatKidDeath; 11-29-2006, 03:42 PM.
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: KICK Your Habit Thread

Ha, I was in the same boat as you. I used to drink like 5-8 cans of coke a day. I can only imagine my stomach lining disintegrating into nothingness. Well I couldn't stop drinking it so I just ended up switching to drinking only caffeine free diet coke. Although probably bad for me, it's just not as HORRIBLY bad as regular coke (diet caffeine free coke really only has sodium in it, 0 calories, 0 sugar).

Except now at my new job we have a cafeteria and I end up getting a large coke (fountain drink) everyday. I'd get the diet coke, but diet fountain coke is just so horribly awful.

So keep up the good fight, I don't want to hear you screaming over VOIP that your stomach lining has ripped open due to coke.

Comment

Hasn't been an hour since I started this thread and I've already got the shakes. Must resist putting dollar into the Coke machine....
      |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
      - I'm on the local news!

Comment

I'd honestly say it's not to hard to quit caffein since I have done it before, for a very long time, and I used to be in the same range of consumption as well. I'd compare it to quitting heroin cold turkey. It's not so hard once your blind with rage :madsmile:

That said, Soda doesn't seem so bad once your into a few energy drinks a day.
        Focused

Comment

1 can of coke form the vending machine is $0.65. 5 cans a day is $3.25. Assuming you only drink coke on work days you are looking at $16.25 a week. Monthly you would spend $65 or $785 a year. You could build a fairly decent computer EVERY YEAR if you cut out the 5 cokes a day. Maybe that is some motivation for you. Good luck man!
          Retired 6th DB

Comment

Drink 12 ounces of water each time you crave some soda. If you fill your gut you'll eventually get a little nauseous and I promise that will help with the craving.

I'm trying to cut back myself... but I enjoy drinking Bacardi with coke too much.
            USAR

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
              1 can of coke form the vending machine is $0.65. 5 cans a day is $3.25. Assuming you only drink coke on work days you are looking at $16.25 a week. Monthly you would spend $65 or $785 a year. You could build a fairly decent computer EVERY YEAR if you cut out the 5 cokes a day. Maybe that is some motivation for you. Good luck man!
              Excellent points Wimp. I did not even think of the math. Off the top of my head: Here at work, I have at least one Coke a day .65 cents (excluding lunch) during the work week = $3.25. Lunch during the work week, I'd say $1.25 - McDonald's, Subway,etc = $6.25. For dinner during the work week, I usually have a high suger drink (Coke, Lemonade, etc) bought at 7-Eleven or the grocery store, say - $8.50.

On the weekends, including eating out, 7-11 stops, etc, I could be looking at $10. So a monthly total of $112 in sugar water! $1344 a year! Yikes!
              |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
              - I'm on the local news!

Comment

In some cases, enough bad food eventually forces your body to take action against your appetite. The colon rises up in indignation and starts bellowing all sorts of demands that you stop treating it like crap. That'll shift you to water in a hurry.

Just remember not to switch to juice. It sounds healthy, but has just as much sugar.

My kick: I need to stop reading/posting in the Sandbox. It causes too much stress being right all the time.
                In game handle: Steel Scion
                sigpic

Comment

i support ya. good luck with it, and ill be checking your progress.
                  QUOTE : "Icsist has a little shameless behavior in the past"
                  Nice remark guys.

Comment

Plus drinking lots of water helps weight loss. Caffeine in soda's dehydrates you, over time without drinking enough water your body will start to bloat a little (kind of like women once a month...). You start drinking water again and you'll lose water weight.
                    USAR

Comment

I need to quit playing video games and wasting my time on forums so much. My instincts tell me this isn't the best place to be starting . . . ;)
                      2142: |TG-Irr| Silverfish
                      BF2: |TG-Irr| Maus

Comment

Wow this is hilarious. I have the same bad habit. My favorite was Vanilla Coke before they discontinued that. I could drink that stuff like it's water. I'm pretty sure drinking soda/pop is what's causing me to put a few extra pounds in the gut area.

We can do it together. I'm with you.

Comment

Originally posted by squeak View Post
                          Drink 12 ounces of water each time you crave some soda. If you fill your gut you'll eventually get a little nauseous and I promise that will help with the craving.

I'm trying to cut back myself... but I enjoy drinking Bacardi with coke too much.
                          Good advice.

Something that is neo with regards to soda and the reasons to stop.

low pH levels (Diet more than reg) that is causing the body to leach bases (bone density) from the body.

High fructose corn syrup. The liver really does not handle this well.
                          Also, your body can transform sugar into fat. Your body transports fat with choelestral. That is a sick amount of cholestral going through the body.

The brain, treats soda as if it were water and water has zero cal/serving, hello. you can drink one of those every hour (36 grams/serving. 4 cals/gram, comes to about 140 calories and hour, and your brain nows nothing, nothing.

Granted your pancerous knows what is going on. That is a sick amount of blood sugar that it has to blank with everyday. Big suprise deabites is now on the 10 top causes of death.

Here is a website i endorse. Read it during the hard times.
                          http://www.watershed.net/top10sd.htm

I would recommend to 86 the Diet soda also.
                          ________
                          I would also recommend to gradually stop drinking soda instead of trying to stop for days and days. The body has really gotten used to those sugar stimulations. It needs them to function. Your brain needs them to function, so cut back slowly.

Cut things in half.

If your drinking 5 liters a day, cut down to 2.5 a day. After feeling ok with that, cut that in half to just 1.25 liters a day. And so on and so on until your body is ok without it.

Cutting back big time is like wanting to get big muscles and trying to do a max bench press before your body can handle the stress invovled.

Instead, slow and easy wins the race. Unless it is auto racing, then you get laped a whole mess of times and come in last place.

In conclusion, drinking soda pop is bad, mmmmk.

Good luck.
                          I feel confident that by new years you will be down do about 1/4th of what you once consumed.
                          (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                          (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                          (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                          Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                          Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

I have to stop posting on these forums when I have homework to do...other than that, I'm good :).

Comment

1. stop checking the TG forums so much and making posts.

I have done well with political stuff. Hell fire, i'll just let Steeler do all the talking, he speaks my thoughts well and and IMO knows his stuff.

2. staying off the computer.

I bought this thing as a tool to start a business.
                              Not two months later my mind talks me into getting a video game. My first on a PC.

Hopefully, come new years (when business starts) my computer useage will be reduced by half.

And that would be huge.
                              Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 11-29-2006, 09:47 PM.
                              (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                              (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                              (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                              Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                              Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement