Red Orchestra: Four Days of Freedom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Orchestra: Four Days of Freedom

Red Orchestra is one of the best realistic shooters on the market today. Begun as a mod for Unreal Tournament, the developers won the "Make Something Unreal" contest and acquired a license for the Unreal engine. Fast forward a few years, and they've now released Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45, the standalone game available over Steam that recreates the war between Russia and Germany. Full of squad-level infantry action, combined arms assaults with tanks, transports, and infantry, and tank-on-tank engagements that take place over gigantic battlefields, ROO is up there with Operation Flashpoint, Ghost Recon, and Rainbow 6 when it comes to realistic first person shooters.

RO never caught on very much at TG; its fatal flaw was that it was not Battlefield 2. I think you'll agree that this is a problem that a lot of games have, not just Red Orchestra, so if you can overlook the fact that all the nice things that BF2 does for you somehow aren't present in World War 2 (gee, really?) you'll probably find that RO is right up your alley. It does, however, cost 20 bucks. Now if you're like me (you're not but for the sake of the argument let's assume you are), you don't just drop 20 bucks on a game without any info. You could check GameRankings.com where ROO is holding steady at 78% (not too shabby for a brutally realistic game that's almost impossible to play withotu teamwork and tactics), or you could check Metacritic where it has garnered itself a respectable 81 (and that's factoring in G4's retarded score of 40), or you could even find out what the revered Dslyecxi thought about the game right before it came out, but seriously, who cares what other people think? You (yes, you!) can find out exactly what RO is like in the upcoming FREE TRIAL! Yep, from December 7th (next Thursday) to December 10th (Thursday Friday Saturday... guess that's Sunday then), the full version of Red Orchestra is yours to download and play over Steam. It might be swarming with noobs that weekened, but you'll get a good idea of what the game is like. In fact, you don't even have to wait. You can preload the thing now so you're ready to play when the time comes.

Click here to preload Red Orchestra!*

*That actually takes you to the Steam page, with a button that lets you preload it. So you're going to have to click twice. Just like you have to click twice when you fire a bolt action rifle, once to fire and once to bolt it. That way you can decide not to bolt it if you want to stab someone with a bayonet real fats. Realism, baby.

Re: Red Orchestra: Four Days of Freedom

Nice, I have wanted to try out Red Orchestra, but there was never any demo. Not being able to try it = not buying it.

EDIT: Sweet, apparently it runs well on Wine.
    Last edited by Lorian; 12-02-2006, 12:32 PM.
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

I don't play it that much but it is a very good game. I think it is similar to BF1942 though. You have "reinforcements" that's similar to Battlefield's ticket system. There are some maps with vehicles. You can pick classes but they are restricted so you don't get a team full of snipers. There are objectives to take similar to flag capping.

The differences make it better. The maps are smaller and more infantry oriented. The sounds put you into the game. Bullets whiz by and blur your vision. Grenades ring your ears. Attacking teams must achieve their objectives for tactical advantages (access to artillery) or even to win. Most of all, you can lean!! :p

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Yes, it's another free trial for RO. There was a demo, back in the summer I believe.

Comment

This is a great, atmospheric game. I wish more people at TG played it.
          Do or do not, there is no try....
          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

thx for adding the news here :)

i hope there will be some players about that weekend, i'll check the TS for some company. maybe some mates follow.

Comment

TG doesnt have servers anymore. To many people complained it wasnt like BF2 so they dint try it out. I enjoyed it but for as new of a game it lacked the graphical experience that other games of the same genre out now. And it was such a resource hog, just dint run good.

Id gladly reinstall to retry it out if we could find a good server to play.
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

The quality of servers really varies depending on who's playing. I've had great games and average games on the same server at the same time of day. It's overall a lot better than BF2 or something, because most of the people who buy a game like this are into teamwork and cooperation instead of dolphin diving and UCB camping, but you know how it is.

Comment

I still play, they recently released a patch with new vehicles and new maps.
                  "If the sword is always sheathed, it will become rusty, the blade will dull, and people will think as much of its owner." —Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai

I prefer a challenge and teamwork rather than a stat loading server without sound tactical ideals.

Comment

I might be able to jump into a few games on Saturday...
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

We could try pubbing.
                      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                      TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                      "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I do occasionally, its a bit hit and miss, but sometimes you get a good team who are communicating and working together.
                        Do or do not, there is no try....
                        -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Ahem, I've put far more hours into BF2 and its mods and expansions than I ever have or probably ever will put into Red Orchestra. By their nature, though, they attract different players. BF2's ranking system, extreme popularity, and easy play mechanics attract all sorts of people, from stats whores to sim gamers to team players to people who just want to shoot at other people. Red Orchestra attracts realism buffs and squad shooter fans. I've joined plenty of Battlefield servers where half the players are loading up jihad jeeps and driving out of spawn, running over allies on the way, and the other half are camping the helicopter spawn point. I've joined other BF servers where people C4 up the jets if they don't get them and detonate their allies, or grab the tanks and drive straight into the enemy's UCB to spawn camp.

Compare that to Red Orchestra, where every vehicle is basically useless unless you've got a teammate or two who communicates with you through voice chat, where you're never going to take down more than two or three people at a time with a bolt action rifle unless you have teammates working with you, and where covering fire and one hit kills mean you can never make a move unless you've considered it or plan on getting killed, and you can see why the kind of people who play RO are much more likely to be gung-ho coordination types than drive into the enemy tank with C4 types.

Just like Ghost Recon, America's Army, Natural Selection, and Operation Flashpoint are usually full of team players who like to communicate compared to Counterstrike: Source, Unreal Tournament, and Quake 3, which are full of fragmonkeys who scream at you for stealing their kills or using camping like a n3wb, RO lends itself to people who cooperate whereas BF2 lends itself to people who TK for fun and punish accidental TKs.
                          Last edited by TychoCelchuuu; 12-06-2006, 11:34 PM. Reason: Misspelled "camping"

Comment

I play occassionaly on WolfGaming Infantry only server. It's where many of the RO developers play also. I was an RO Admin here and developed quite a few mutators for it trying to get it to take off here and it never did.

There's a team fortress type modification for RO called Defense Alliance 2. It's pretty fun too, but it's impossible to find a server with players.
                            It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
                              All I am asking is that you avoid sweeping generalisations.
                              Sorry, but sometimes they're simply true. That doesn't mean they have to be true on OUR servers, but you can't tell me that CounterStrike isn't populated by hackers and smacktards. TG's PCS server isn't like that at all, but CounterStrike, in general, IS. Likewise with BF2 and the suicide tactics/dolphin diving.

If you want to come into this discussion and point out that TG's servers aren't like that, fine. But don't try to blow smoke up people's butts and say that those games aren't like that...
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X