I need some help...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help...

I need some help with a project. I've tried several iterations of a gaming news/content site that could be driven by the public. I've played around with several variants but none of them were as easy as I wanted nor did they allow for very rapid addition to the content from just about anyone that wanted to contribute.

I've got a system online now that needs further testing, but I need some help in getting some content added.

http://www.tacticalnews.com

Here's what I need:
    • Links to interesting game-related or world news articles added with a brief summary about what the article is about. The content should be valid and not just "Test Link" type junk. I'll end up deleting any test link crap that shows up, so it would be appreciated if you could link to something you actually find interesting.
    • Votes on existing articles both on the front page as well as items in the "Unpublished" tab. Once articles get 5 votes, they should appear in the All Articles area and/or on the main page of the site.

If you can help out with this, it would be greatly appreciated! This system is kind of a hybrid between Digg and SlashDot, so it could be interested if we get people, over time, that want to contribute content and/or link to content they've written.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: I need some help...

24 Views and only one person actually put up any content? Bah! Slackers!

Thanks for all the additions, Evo. Not we just need to get some people to vote up the articles to make sure they propagate up to the front page.

Comment

Pretty cool. Sort of like blues news but run by many.

Comment

Yeah, that's kind of the direction I'm working on. I need to make sure the back-end application is working properly before I jump into the front-end design.

I can actually use this to be able to pull news content into TG once the submitted content gets enough votes. I want to make sure the RSS feed gets modified based on the vote count as well. But that takes 10 votes, 5 more than it takes to get it on the front page.

Comment

NP, it's a pretty slick site.
          "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
          He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Now the question, did I put it in the right place? Only the boss knows for sure.:icon20:

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

You did it perfectly, Bubba.

I still need some more responses on this. We've got a bit of content up there in the Unpublished area, we just need some more registered users voting on some of the content to push it up past the 5+ votes.

Please please please. Just take a couple moments and pop over and help out with this project. This site could be an EXCELLENT resource to share articles and information that we read on-line with both members of the Tactical Gamer community as well as the rest of the world. We're going to brand this as a TG site once the functionality is all tested and can run TG banners on here as well.

Participating in this project will absolutely help TG in the long run!

Comment

Come on people, what have you got to loose, NADA. Good info can be had from there.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

I wrote an entire blog entry on the release of Goldeneye: Source, only to find that when I previewed it and clicked on the modify button to edit the video embedding code, I lost everything.

Maybe I'll try again later, but I'm too frustrated with it to even bother trying anymore.
                  -Zephyr
                  You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                  We are not a single game.
                  We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                  We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
                    I wrote an entire blog entry on the release of Goldeneye: Source, only to find that when I previewed it and clicked on the modify button to edit the video embedding code, I lost everything.

Maybe I'll try again later, but I'm too frustrated with it to even bother trying anymore.
                    -Zephyr
                    I can understand that frustration. One thing to keep in mind is that this system really isn't the best to hold the full content. It's more like a link repository with summaries of the actual content.

IE: You would write up the entry in an actual blog or post on TG or somewhere about Goldeneye. Then add a link to it at TacticalNews.com with a brief summary of what you're linking to.

I usually copy the first paragraph or whatever is relevant from the actual article to use as my summaries. I do the same with Digg too.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                      I can understand that frustration. One thing to keep in mind is that this system really isn't the best to hold the full content. It's more like a link repository with summaries of the actual content.

IE: You would write up the entry in an actual blog or post on TG or somewhere about Goldeneye. Then add a link to it at TacticalNews.com with a brief summary of what you're linking to.

I usually copy the first paragraph or whatever is relevant from the actual article to use as my summaries. I do the same with Digg too.
                      Yeah...but I felt like pwning with my creative writing skills though, boom headshot.

-Zephyr
                      You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                      We are not a single game.
                      We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                      We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

I think I really like this system. Very slick!
                        Retired 6th DB

Comment

This is a really interesting project and one that could certainly benefit Tactical Gamer. It only took me a few minutes to register, vote and submit an article, so please take a moment to help.

Comment

I can't seem to input the security code, no matter how certain I am of the number I'm reading. Every iteration yields:

"There was an error.

The security code provided is not correct "
                            [volun2]
                            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
                              Yeah...but I felt like pwning with my creative writing skills though, boom headshot.

-Zephyr
                              Write it up here and then link to your forum post?
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X