Fast Rope vs Rappelling... a tactical post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Rope vs Rappelling... a tactical post

we were having a nice discussion in the content forum about Fast Rope vs Rappelling, I thought it interesting to share with all you tactical gamers...

Here's a short video demonstrating both fast roping then rappelling:
    http://www.tacticsandteamwork.com/Vi...Rappelling.wmv

Fast Rope:
    Fast Roping allows you to rapidly descend from high structures and points. (also helicopters.)

When fast roping, your character slides down the rope to the ground or floor below. You can not control the rate of decent (in games, RL you can a little), You also do not aim or fire your weapon while fast roping. So be certain where your fast roping to and what into.

Rappelling:
    Rappelling provides more control and more of a stealthy option.

You can descend, (in R6 Vegas, you pull out your pistol) with weapon in one hand. You can then move down slow by walking down the side of the wall, you can also go inverted and peek into windows and take out suspects/tangos.

You can go down faster and with leaps by kicking off of the building, letting the rope slide then locking when your feet come back up to the wall. then repeat. You can also breach a window (which IRL hurts, rarely done,lol), by kicking out then smashing through the window.

There your lesson for the day. ;)
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Fast Rope vs Rappelling... a tactical post

Both are fun, but you need to know what you are doing for either to work correctly. I have about 2.5 miles worth of Rope experience, if you don't believe me well that's your issue.

Each has its own gear and own purpose, do not try to use gear for one on the other. Most ropes are rated and most gear is rated for a certain temp and weight.

If you ever get the chance to do one or the other take it, best experience you could ever have dangling 250' above a rushing river on a 5/8s piece of rope. One nice thing to remember is it only qualifies as one of those 2 categories if you are in control, else you are falling.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

One piece of leather , one climb rope and one very small rope will do the trick .

DONT do this when you have zero experience , you will break something :-)

greetz FWO
      ***"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."***

Harry Truman

***My mom always said ;"even if you are a general by statspadding , you still are a wussy if you dint jump Halo !!!"***

Clicky =>

Comment

I tried to do a little rappelling back when I was in high school. It was a small descent (~20-30') because I'm afraid of heights, but it was a blast!
        |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
        [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer View Post
          I tried to do a little rappelling back when I was in high school. It was a small descent (~20-30') because I'm afraid of heights, but it was a blast!

Im seriously afraid of hieghts as well, not sure why. Couple friends of mine, my dad and me did a bridge down the road from the new river gourge brigde at midnight one night. Drove in dropped off the gear, rigged it and the pick van drove to the bottom and picked us up. 750' with nothing but our headlamps. I was shacking so high so much wind and cars driving over head. Was AWESOME.
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Guess i can brag too, lol... I've fast roped out of a helicopter at 200 feet onto buildings, into water, and into woods...FUN! (all training).

I've rappelled off a 500 foot tower, the side of a 20 floor condo, and down a mountain cliff in Central America. (all but one training, one was a SWAT call out.) ;)

Love it all.
            Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Showoff !!! ;DDD

Wel now that we are rolling a might aswell start too ;D

Rappel ;

rocks = done
              heli = done
              with wounded = done
              full ops = done
              105 mm arty drop followd by rappel = done ( mind the static electricity when you rappel after the piece and unhook it ;DDD)
              swingrappel = done
              operational = done ( Balkan)

Fastrope ;

on towers = done
              ships = done
              Arty follow = done
              operational = done
              full ops = done
              water = done

But but but ! At the end you stil are a wussie if you did not jump Halo :D

Grtz FWO
              ***"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."***

Harry Truman

***My mom always said ;"even if you are a general by statspadding , you still are a wussy if you dint jump Halo !!!"***

Clicky =>

Comment

I rappelled off a 30ft tower at Boy Scout camp so nyah nyah! :madsmile:
                Battlefield Admin() ()
                [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
                  we were having a nice discussion in the content forum about Fast Rope vs Rappelling, I thought it interesting to share with all you tactical gamers...

Here's a short video demonstrating both fast roping then rappelling:
                  http://www.tacticsandteamwork.com/Vi...Rappelling.wmv

Fast Rope:
                  Fast Roping allows you to rapidly descend from high structures and points. (also helicopters.)

When fast roping, your character slides down the rope to the ground or floor below. You can not control the rate of decent (in games, RL you can a little), You also do not aim or fire your weapon while fast roping. So be certain where your fast roping to and what into.

Rappelling:
                  Rappelling provides more control and more of a stealthy option.

You can descend, (in R6 Vegas, you pull out your pistol) with weapon in one hand. You can then move down slow by walking down the side of the wall, you can also go inverted and peek into windows and take out suspects/tangos.

You can go down faster and with leaps by kicking off of the building, letting the rope slide then locking when your feet come back up to the wall. then repeat. You can also breach a window (which IRL hurts, rarely done,lol), by kicking out then smashing through the window.

There your lesson for the day. ;)

When I first read this... I'm thinking "Real Life" or a "Game"

Real Life - Fast Roping and Rapelling are 2 differnt animals, for 2 differnt types of insertions.

Either way.. Fast Roping isnt decending from a structure... it's more used for out of the bottom or the side of a Slow Mover..

Rapelling is from a base on top of something... top of a building, mountain..ect...

Or even better.. Spy Rigging from the bottom of a slow mover.... If you really want to John Wayne your way into a fight.....

~~~ then I read on and realized you were talking about a game.
                  just thought I'd add the real life aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by ForwardObserver View Post

105 mm arty drop followd by rappel = done ( mind the static electricity when you rappel after the piece and unhook it ;DDD)

Arty follow = done
                    Awesome... I did the same thing out of a 53.. after we dropped my 155.... we fast ropped out the back though.

Comment

I haven't done the fast rope but I did take a really good rope rescue class a few weeks ago. We ended it by going Aussie style off of our 100' ladder truck as a free rappel. Fun stuff. I put a few pics in the gallery:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/photopo...ry.php/cat/513
                      Last edited by Wimpinator; 12-27-2006, 11:18 PM. Reason: I can't spell ;)
                      Retired 6th DB

Comment

Did quite a bit of rappelling in my Army days. Only fast roped once, didn't like it (too much like falling for me). Aussie rap. is still one of my best memory of the days in green.
                        |TG-Irr|HatefullSix

If at first you don't succeed, you need more firepower.

There is nothing wrong with feeling something when you shoot your enemies... as long as that something is recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                          I haven't done the fast rope but I did take a really good rope rescue class a few weeks ago. We ended it by going Aussie style off of our 100' ladder truck as a free rappel. Fun stuff. I put a few pics in the gallery:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/photopo...ry.php/cat/513
                          Where's the Australian pics?!?? That's something I've never done, and I bet it's a lot of fun!
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X