What the hey! (blu-ray)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hey! (blu-ray)

hey I made a rhyme in the title, should sell it to some rapper, and make millions. ;)

OK, hooked up my new Blu-Ray DVD player, and went to play the one and only Blu-Ray DVD that I bought...yet... It's Full Metal Jacket, one of my favorite movies but not really the best one to test my new Blu-Ray set up.

Well the TV supports 1080p and my Blu-Ray player supports 1080p, and it's connected with HDMI cable... and it is broadcasting at 1080p... but the picture looks terrible, just maybe slightly better then a regular DVD...

I'm thinking that maybe Full Metal Jacket wasn't really recorded in high definition, but just up-converted and burned to a Blu-Ray to claim it's hi def.

Boyz, I know hi def, My cable HD channels are 1080i, and look AMAZING, my Xbox 360 games are 1080i, and look AMAZING... but this movie is no where near that quality...

Do you think I'm right about it not being a true Hi Def movie?
    What movie do you recommend I buy to check and see really how well 1080p Blu-Ray works?
    Or any other problem I may not be seeing, that you might know of?

Thx in advance.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: What the hey! (blu-ray)

It's not much help on the Blu-Ray front, but I know that Serenity is a supremely spectacularly awesome looking HD-DVD. I think The Fifth Element might be out on Blu-Ray; I haven't read up on its quality or anything but it was a nice looking movie and it might be worth checking out the reviews.

Comment

^^^^Wait how long are these movies not going to support HDCP?

Because if they don't for atleast a year or two still I might get an HD-DVD player. The Xbox 360's HDDVD drive works on windows and if they don't need HDCP for some time I can get away with a super cheap HD player.
      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
      TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
      "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I hear people complaining that studios are just upscaling the movies, so that's probably what happened.
        |TG| Lorian
        Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Custom: They're not supposed to enforce 'till 2010 or 2012.

Magnum: I've heard the same thing that Lorian has heard about some movies. Some old movies, such as Apocalypse Now (I think?) were filmed with very pricey equipment which delivered quality beyond even modern HD gear. Or so I've heard. Point being, you should be able to get some of the old movies in true HD format.
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

^^^^Looks like I will be in HDDVD in January.

300 dollars for an HDDVD player isn't that bad. It should hold me off until I get an HDTV and a stand alone one, until I can get an HDCP video card and sound card, or both.

Edit: For those interested in this you can actually do it right now. All you need is the latest version of PowerDVD that supports Blu Ray and HDDVD and the 360's HDDVD drive. It works in XP however official support for it is in Vista. The drive is about 200 dollars and PowerDVD is 100.
            RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
            TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
            7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
            "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
            "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

This link should help ya Magnum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=753726
              |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Thx all...found out I needed a firmware update, (was easy for me to download, burn to disk and update, but non-PC'ers would of been lost), now they all work and look GREAT at 1080p.
                Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

All data as to what DVD player you need to watch these on a computer is in teh link to the avsforum.com, right?

Comment

I've watched parts of King Kong in HD, and it ranges from beautiful to almost vomit inducing. The gag reflex has nothing to do with the picture looking bad, it's just so detailed that you can make out EVERY facial flaw on the actors. During the scene with the chick talking to the old man, he looked more like a burn victim than anything. I could make out every clogged pore and wrinkle he had.

I just bought Batman Begins in HD, but have yet to watch it.

Comment

HD doesn't make people ugly. It just makes them real.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X