• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared of Flying... this will remove any doubt

http://ships.bouwman.com/Planes/Bad-Jet-Engine.html

Re: Scared of Flying... this will remove any doubt

Damn, now thats funny/sad.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

-

Comment

now i'm scared

Comment

this is why i stick with delta.

Comment

I just shout

"Up, Up and away!"

;)
          Jex.

Comment

Yeah thats scary. something hard hit those blades.

Those large fan blades at the front of the engine are used primarily for cooling the exterior of the engine by pumping air over the outside of it but still under the cowling. Normally its around a 4:1 amounts of air going over the outside of the engine on a commercial aero engine vs. the air actually going through the engine for combustion. Most of those large blades are a honeycomb design internally, with a titanium alloy skin, they experience very low heat compared to the smaller blades inside the engine in the combustion stages. It would still take a heck of a hit to bust up those blades like that. Also, a set of those blades can be easily more than 1/4 million USD. An entire Rolls Royce BR700 series engine is around 3.5 million USD.

I've seen engines at Rolls Royce in Montreal in for rebuild that sucked in a whole flock of Canada geese. Messy.
            Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
            Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Originally posted by GhostintheShell
              I've seen engines at Rolls Royce in Montreal in for rebuild that sucked in a whole flock of Canada geese. Messy.
              You've seen that video of the guy that got sucked into the jet on a military plane (harrier?)? I guess he lived because his helmet went through first and destroyed all the blades or damaged them enough that he was relatively unhurt. I've got the video, but I'm on dialup so I can't share it...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I've seen that one too, and actually was talking about it with the guys at RR. The general consensus was that he went thru the larger fan blades, and outside the combustion stages of the engine but still under the engine cowl in the area where all the cooling airflow goes. This is a larger area but still amazingly small. If he went thru the combustion stages the vanes and blades are from 1 inch to 6 inches long specialty inconel and titanium based alloys that are hard as hell and can take a couple thousand degrees of heat, pretty much they wouldn't be damaged other than from the large amount of burnt carbon chunks passing through them. He would be "cuisinart'd" going through that area. Its still a miracle that those larger titanium vacuum laminated blades didn't slice and dice him.

I'm speaking from experience with huge aero engines, but I imagine the smaller military stuff is similar. If it was a harrier, then the engines have a massive air divertor for the VTOL that he could have went through s well. I don't know a lot about them.
                Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.

Comment

I'm speaking from experience with huge aero engines
                  We guessed that from the 2 responses you post in here.. :-)

Guess my post's made it to your mates computers for a good laugh or a "what the hell" ......

Comment

http://www.airextreme.de/jetengine_.avi

Here's a link to that video. It's an A6 or EA-6B not sure. The A7 actually was known as the "man eater" because it has one large intake instead of two as seen on this A6.
                    New to TG?

Comment

...he went thru the larger fan blades, and outside the combustion stages of the engine but still under the engine cowl in the area where all the cooling airflow goes. This is a larger area but still amazingly small. .... Its still a miracle that those larger titanium vacuum laminated blades didn't slice and dice him.
                      Ehhh, I don't think so. What I've heard from announcers introducing the video was that some of his gear/harness got caught on a protrusion just inside the duct, preventing him from getting sucked in any further, saving his life. The engines are actually much further back in the aircraft, so he didn't go through any blades and stuff. He was stuck in the front section, just out of sight of the camera. Of course some of his gear was sucked off him, hence the engine malfunction and stuff out the back.

Comment

Hate to highjack your thread Lowdrag, but did you guys look at the other pictures on that site?

I like this one:http://ships.bouwman.com/Planes/CutUpTrainer.html
                        "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

-

Comment

lol. i bet he sued :)

Comment

Originally posted by +Blind+
                            Ow..ow...ow ...! :icon24:

Comment

Originally posted by CK
                              Ehhh, I don't think so. What I've heard from announcers introducing the video was that some of his gear/harness got caught on a protrusion just inside the duct, preventing him from getting sucked in any further, saving his life. The engines are actually much further back in the aircraft, so he didn't go through any blades and stuff. He was stuck in the front section, just out of sight of the camera. Of course some of his gear was sucked off him, hence the engine malfunction and stuff out the back.
                              That makes sense, if he actually went thru the big fan blades at the front like the busted up ones in the pic of the commercial jet I'm fairly sure like I said that he be sliced and diced. You should have seen those geese. Imagine a dozen geese in a giant blender...now imagine the smell after its been bagged and in transport for a couple days.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X