• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone

holy crap that thing is COOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgW7or1TuFk

Re: iPhone

Hm yeah looks pretty cool. How much is it going to cost? Can I get it for $50 with a 2 year contract? :D

Comment

Keep dreaming....and wait for the revision so the bugs get worked out.
      |TG|Melee
      Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
        Hm yeah looks pretty cool. How much is it going to cost? Can I get it for $50 with a 2 year contract? :D
        If the info I read was right it was $599 plus you had to buy a 2 year contract. Cingular exclusive.
        |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Oh well, I guess I will have to keep dreaming... Not gonna pay $600 for a phone + tip calculator.

Comment

I heard $499. At least that's what they said at the end of the video.

I don't think it's supposed to be a Cingular exclusive either. Based on prior reading on the iPhone, it was supposed to be multi-carrier capable so you could bring it to just about any carrier you wanted and get it activated.

They are still tied up with Cisco right now anyway over the name of the device. Cisco owns the trademark rights to "iPhone" and AFAIK no deal has been finalized yet to allow Apple to use the name. In fact, Cisco just filed a suit against Apple for launching the product with the name without securing the rights first.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

$500 for 4gb, $600 for 8gb. At least in the US, the initial carrier is just Cingular.. It's a GSM phone, so the only other choice would be T-Mobile. Maybe it'll be like the RAZR with CDMA versions coming several months later.

I understood that they had been in negotiations with Cisco before this launch but couldn't get anything worked out. Why they decided to go with the name anyways is something I don't understand. They'll surely lose the lawsuit and have to change the name.

I think it looks like a pretty cool device but can't see myself buying one.
              Battlefield Admin() ()
              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
              | for | |

Comment

Clarification:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/10/comm...tune/index.htm

However, he said, he enjoyed working with Cingular. And apparently the sentiment was mutual. Two years ago, Jobs and Cingular's chief executive, Stan Sigman, got together to forge a multiyear pact to work together on the iPhone. The Apple phone didn't even exist as a sketch at that point, but apparently Sigman trusted that Jobs and Apple would deliver on their promise to revolutionize the mobile handset. And Apple trusted Cingular not to meddle in the hardware or feature design. "They let Apple be Apple," one Apple executive said.

Cingular worked with Apple software developer on breakthrough features like visual voicemail - the ability to see a list of voicemail messages in a list and choose to listen to them in any order, instead of sequentially, as most carriers require today - while Apple focused on what it does best, the close integration of elegant hardware design with powerful but simple-to-use software. Even so, Apple didn't show Cingular the final iPhone prototype until just weeks before this week's debut. In some cases, Apple crafted bogus handset prototypes to show not just to Cingular executives, but also to Apple's own workers.

Meanwhile, Jony Ive, Apple's design guru, was refining the sleek, final design. At the Macworld keynote, with Cingular's Sigman on stage with him, Jobs hinted again that the exclusive, multiyear partnership with Cingular would yield more phones that just the two iPhone models unveiled today. (The two are basically identical: A $499 device with four gigabytes of internal memory, and a $599 version with eight gigabytes.)
                http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/0...one-fun-facts/

If you just can’t wait to buy an iPhone from another cellular carrier, like T-Mobile, Cingular has a message for you: you’ll be waiting a long time, my friend.

Cingular’s exclusive rights to sell Apple’s new iPhone is a “multi-year agreement in the U.S.,” said Glenn Lurie, Cingular’s president of national distribution, in a press conference today at CES. The agreement also includes future models which will be introduced “soon.”

And if you’re thinking of buying the iPhone through Cingular and then using it on another GSM network, you might want to reconsider. Both Apple and Cingular will sell the phone as a “locked” device. Even though it uses the GSM standard, it won’t work on other GSM systems.

Hackers have made the unlocking of locked phones a cottage industry, but Cingular says that that won’t be so easy with the iPhone. If the iPhone gets hacked and unlocked, “we’ve thought through what our next steps will be,” Glenn Lurie said.

As for price, Cingular thinks the $500 initial cost won’t be a barrier to sales. The total cost of an iPod, cell phone, and PDA is just about the same.
                |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Ahh, that's a good clarification! So Cingular it is! My previous info said it would work on a multitude of carriers. By the looks of it, it probably WILL work, it's just not going to be permitted due to the agreement with Cingular.

I wonder what their "next steps" will be if the iPhone gets hacked, unlocked, and activated on another provider?
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

The guy said 400 bucks in june. It really is amazing but what do those people with fat fingers think? Probably not to excited.

I'm waiting for the Ipod video with camera and internet.

- -

Comment

Just duct tape your MP3 player to your cell phone, just as good and a lot cheaper.
                      |TG-Irr|HatefullSix

If at first you don't succeed, you need more firepower.

There is nothing wrong with feeling something when you shoot your enemies... as long as that something is recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by HatefullSix View Post
                        Just duct tape your MP3 player to your cell phone, just as good and a lot cheaper.
                        Don't forget the handsfree set to go along with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Obi View Post
                          Don't forget the handsfree set to go along with that.
                          That is true sweetness... I'll have to see if I can get the North American distribution deal.
                          |TG-Irr|HatefullSix

If at first you don't succeed, you need more firepower.

There is nothing wrong with feeling something when you shoot your enemies... as long as that something is recoil.

Comment

So it's been out a while.

Got one as a gift. Lovely I thought...

Then I found out I couldn't move music about via Windows, or move the music from the phone and could only use itunes - i couldn't do anything that was not controlled by itunes and so apple. Also I couldn't send pictures in text and that it had few and illogical controls. The settings of my phone were sparse and about as functional as a Motorola from 1994.

My face went :<

Never the less, it would be good to find out how I could actually upgrade the settings to some sort of functional, you would expect from a Nokia, for example.

It would be nice to pool knowledge on this somewhat disapointing kit, to make it undisapointing.

My phone is jailbreaked and 3.0, I think, so I have been instructed I can not update it. And only the Lord knows what apps are decent and where.

Good job I got TG.

Anyone got any good useful starter knowledge and information about this phone?
                            Last edited by Taip3n; 10-23-2010, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Necropost like a mofo taipen!
                              But my advice would be to check the various iphone threads in the Hardware and Software forum. Theres a lot of TGers who have iphones (and i pity them all :icon26:) who would be more than willing to help out.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X