New Guitar.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guitar.

So, I just bought a new Epiphone G-400 with EMG's, last week, and it might be the best guitar I've played. Blows Gibson's outta the water. Some of you might not know or care about what I'm talking about, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
    Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
    Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Re: New Guitar.

Looks sweet
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Nice! What sort of amp(s) do you run it through?

Comment

Eh, right now I've got one of those 600 dollar MGDFX100 Marshall cabs. Once I save up though, I'm gonna run out and buy that DSL100 tube. Those things are baller as hell.

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

Marshall makes some good amps but you might want to throw some variety in. Get a old dual rectifier head and definitely check out Jenkins cabinets (http://www.jenkinssoundshop.com/). Save a little $$ and the mesa is more nimble, imo.

I used to have a $600 Marshall combo. It definitely had its sound, and no problemo getting over drums (not cleanly though). The nice thing about marshalls is there's always some kid willing to buy it. Anyway.

Enjoy the new axe!

Comment

Only thing I hate about the Marshall is what an amazingly bold step it is between clean and crunch. My crunch might actually sound better than the damn distortion. But it was worth it. I'll definately check out those cabs though, thanks!

Comment

Are you playing in a band and have to get over drums? If not, I'd recommend something like an old Princeton Reverb, which you could get for less than your MG. If you do need to get over drums, then lord knows a Twin Reverb can do the job. These are both tube amps and in your price range. As a general rule, fender guitars through marshalls (or something like it) and gibsons (or your epi) through fender amps are good matches. You gotta match the axe to the amp and vice versa. Something to fiddle with anyway.

In any case, the MG is solid state, right? Tubes will help you ease into the crunch and will flip you out if you haven't played through one. Pedals heart tubes. Everyone hearts tubes.

I can't say enough good things about the Princeton Reverb, btw. The older and tubier the better. They did a solid state reissue that I wouldn't touch with a pole, though, so beware. Anyway, if you're just playing by and for yourself, then you really want an amp that you can drive the tubes hard enough to start clipping without making your ears bleed or your neighbors hate you. A little tube amp pushed a little hard sounds tons better than a big monster tube amp that's barely working with a cheap overdrive pedal in the line.

If you do need to get over drums, well I've seen some pretty serious guitar players plunk a little Princeton on the stage with a mic in front of it. Not your typical gig amp, but it can work with a PA.

Comment

I was actually thinking of getting an ORANGE head. That is assuming I can find someone who deals 'em around here. Like, they list places on the site, but they're a little far.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X