Beta Testing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beta Testing

I just had a brainstorm that I'm sure has at least been thought about around here and I wanted to see if anyone has tried this or plans to.

What if TG and staff were to aproach game publishers about being a sort of off site QA team. We would beta test their games for them, send in bug lists, do specific tests they might need, and write reviews (I've seen some great reviews here already). Creat Forums like the JO one, and try to not only get us posting on it, but get people from the Publisher to post in the forums. Having NovaLogic, for example, posting in our JO forum would lend us a lot of credibility and value to a true gamer. IMO

It would be a two fold deal.

First TG would get in with publishers. They could help market TG as well as send new games and stuff our way.

Second. TG would be able to advertise that it gets Betas before most from X Y and Z publisher. It could be set up so only contributing members can beta test (so we can get more of those, and so that we can keep an eye and make sure the beta testing is top notch) and contribute to a running post of bugs we could use as our bug list.

This seems like a win-win for TG and any publishers who need the type of games we play Beta tested. We have our own server, top notch, hardcore, mature gamers. And we wouldnt charge them (right away anyway ;) )

Discuss.....

ACU Web| | |

Re: Beta Testing

It's worth a shot. For us to even show up on a developer's radar screen, I would think that we would need to start some sort of "bug reporting basic training" and give some assurances about the quantity and quality of bug reports that we would be giving them.

I don't know how much they would like dealing with another business, though. If someone's going to make money off their beta, why wouldn't they want it to be themselves? We've got to offer them something more. We would have to make ourselves marketable as THE place to have your product beta-tested.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Great Idea.. It has been discussed, and that would be definatly something to investigate further...

Comment

Good Idea! What is the chance that a game developer would be willing to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
          It's worth a shot. For us to even show up on a developer's radar screen, I would think that we would need to start some sort of "bug reporting basic training" and give some assurances about the quantity and quality of bug reports that we would be giving them.

I don't know how much they would like dealing with another business, though. If someone's going to make money off their beta, why wouldn't they want it to be themselves? We've got to offer them something more. We would have to make ourselves marketable as THE place to have your product beta-tested.
          I know this community could and would create a good buglist. Imagine if we wrote down all the issues we have seen in JO so far. I think it would be easy to create a format to report a bug ie:

Bug:
          Location it happened:
          repeatablility:
          Comments:

Then we can have a thread that all these bugs are listed in and someone can pull them all into what ever format they would like to get them in.

We could spin it so that we arent really making money off their Demos. We are using the contributing member status as a way to make sure that the testers are serious, we'd tell them its a way to make sure we get quality bug finds.
          Also Apo would find bugs that people who plan to host their own servers would run into. We have a lot to offer a QA team.

How many people would be into this? The number of people we could get to test a beta as a team would probably effect wether or not they would deal with us.

ACU Web| | |

Comment

I'm not interested in beta testing games just for the sake of beta testing them. I am, however, very interested in providing detailed information about bugs that I find in any pre-released games that I am wanting to play due to their content, including going out of my way to isolate and reproduce bugs in games I like, even if that means me playing that game in a way that is dictated by that reproduction process above and beyond my pursuit of test-less entertainment.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I think if it happened we would have to test some crappy games. Not just ones we like. We could probably limit it by genre... but after that I think they would frown on us jsut wanting to test certain games. So there would have to be a core team willing to test anything they throw at us, then others can test as they feel like it.

ACU Web| | |

Comment

Originally posted by wwwMEMORYnet
                I think if it happened we would have to test some crappy games. Not just ones we like. We could probably limit it by genre... but after that I think they would frown on us jsut wanting to test certain games. So there would have to be a core team willing to test anything they throw at us, then others can test as they feel like it.
                That's true. The beta could be really cool like JO or flop like the original release of the Soldner demo. There would also be NDA's to sign and some of us might not want to be bothered with all the legal procedures.

I'd like to beta test but I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it. There could be some really bad bugs that would frustrate me to the point I wouldn't touch it again.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                  That's true. The beta could be really cool like JO or flop like the original release of the Soldner demo. There would also be NDA's to sign and some of us might not want to be bothered with all the legal procedures.

I'd like to beta test but I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it. There could be some really bad bugs that would frustrate me to the point I wouldn't touch it again.

Thats a given... I worked in QA for Interplay for a year. Its not all that fun. I would say if you do it you would be doing it for the betterment of TG not for fun so much. Also if you had any interest in the game you would be working to improve the final release so its moreenjoyable for you later.

Betas are a pain, and most times new Revs have more new broken stuff than fixes, but I'd be willing to push through it to help TG grow.

I think the best possible outcome would be that we test games and get recoginized in the manuals under the QA list. I have my name in a few games and its cool, but think of how nice it would be to have TG and the URL in some manuals for games.

ACU Web| | |

Comment

I worked in QA for Interplay for a year. Its not all that fun.
                    I have heard career Beta testers say that it is mind numbingly boring. Sorry, think I'll pass on hours of boredom if I'm not getting paid. Nice thought though.
                    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
                      I have heard career Beta testers say that it is mind numbingly boring. Sorry, think I'll pass on hours of boredom if I'm not getting paid. Nice thought though.

career beta testers are whining morons.

boring... explain any other job where you sit down and play games... ok you may not like it so play for the day and then give it a bad review and all the fixes/.//

if you are being paid for it there is no reason to complain.

i dont know ehere i stand.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

All I know is that cookies are what you put into them.

If your life is boring, fire the chef.
                        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

boring... explain any other job where you sit down and play games... ok you may not like it so play for the day and then give it a bad review and all the fixes/.//
                          It's important to note that professional beta testing is not just playing the demo and reporting bugs. It's not just noticing things as they come at you. It's painstakingly setting out to break the game in any way possible. When you switch from grenades to an M4, does the right animation play for the right amount of time? What about every other weapon in the game? Does every single tree block bullets with it's trunk and not with it's leaves? In all the buildings in the whole map, are there any corners that you or the AI can shoot through? Does the correct death animation play when you hit an enemy in the shoulder, stomach, head, etc? Can you blow yourself "out" of the map?

It can go on like that forever.

I think this would be a good thing for TG if it could happen, but I don't think very many development studios would want to turn to an unpaid body of testers for such an intense and important aspect of the testing phase.

Maybe TG could fill a sort of first-look role, play-testing their work as a body of gamers for game balance and exploitations. But to get the credibility to do that I think TG would have to rise to the top of a game ladder. TG would need to be recognized as a group that could understand game dynamics very well. TG would also have to show that they have a perspective that is important in a commercial sense. We all like to think TG is the best way to game, but the body of gamers for whom good teamwork is important is still pretty small.
                          [volun]

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
                            career beta testers are whining morons.

if you are being paid for it there is no reason to complain.

i dont know ehere i stand.
                            You play a game you hate. (Mine was Descent to Undermountain. They took the Descnet, spacehsip, engine and made it into a buggy RPG game) for 8 months 8 hours a day the way that H-Hour described it and see how bored you get ;)

And you dont control what you test or for how long.

You could be digging ditches I know, but its still a job. And when you have a several thousand log bug list that you have to verify with each new rev (once a week at least) and add new ones to, it gets tedious.

The cool part is when you get a bug that is effected by something you did 30 minutes ago in the game. For example you pick up a mushroom on level 3 and use it on level 9 and it crashes. But only with the mushroom you picked up from level 3 none of the other ones. Those are the fun bugs to narrow down. Cause you dont jsut get to tell them its broke, you have to tell them how, why and how to recreate it and at what % you can recreate it.

I think H-Hours last paragraph is probalby right.

ACU Web| | |

Comment

You play a game you hate. (Mine was Descent to Undermountain. They took the Descnet, spacehsip, engine and made it into a buggy RPG game) for 8 months 8 hours a day the way that H-Hour described it and see how bored you get ;)

And you dont control what you test or for how long.

You could be digging ditches I know, but its still a job. And when you have a several thousand log bug list that you have to verify with each new rev (once a week at least) and add new ones to, it gets tedious.

The cool part is when you get a bug that is effected by something you did 30 minutes ago in the game. For example you pick up a mushroom on level 3 and use it on level 9 and it crashes. But only with the mushroom you picked up from level 3 none of the other ones. Those are the fun bugs to narrow down. Cause you dont jsut get to tell them its broke, you have to tell them how, why and how to recreate it and at what % you can recreate it.

I think H-Hours last paragraph is probalby right.
                              I too worked as a full time Tester for Gremlin Interactive. I worked on Hardwar, Actua Soccer 3, Buggy, Pool Shark and loads more. It was very cool in some ways (I had a free coke machine next to my desk) and extremely hateful in lots of other ways (try playing the same awful, fun destroying games over and over and over and over.....6 or 7 days a week, sometimes in 23 hour shifts)

I once saw a review of one of our games in a magazine. They loved it. Despite the fact that we had never had a version through test that would get past the first level before crashing. They had screenshots of the game that were impossible to take, and were in fact just mock ups generated by the art department that someone in marketing had found in a folder on the network.

[at][unit]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X