Anybody here golf?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody here golf?

So, this week I caved in to years of public pressure and went out and bought a set of golf clubs with the intention of learning how to play the game. I actually got a good deal on a set of Bullet 444's, only $150.

I've been to the driving range a few times already and can now hit the ball in a straight line with decent distance.

Since I am a total noob. I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on websites/magazines/or just plain tips that will help me learn the game.

It is my goal to get in a few 9 hole games this summer...

Re: Anybody here golf?

From one noob to another: take friends. It makes the whole experience far more worthwhile. :)
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Going with my company Friday. I plan to practice and learn a lot over the next year. I borrowed clubs though.

I am a noob but here is some advice I have recieved:

Go to the range a lot. While you are there dont focus on hitting the ball long and hard. Try to hit targets. Like the sign for 250 yards, keep aiming for it until you can put the ball right by it every time. Then go to a new target.

For putting I have heard of people making long boxes just a fraction wider than the head of the putter, so you practice your swing in the box and if it not straight you will hit the wall of the box, this one is hard to describe in a post. If I can find a pic I will show you.

Bottom line, practice practice practice.

ACU Web| | |

Comment

Originally posted by wyzcrak
        take friends. It makes the whole experience far more worthwhile
        Originally posted by wwwMEMORYnet
        Bottom line, practice practice practice.
        Both are correct. There is no better way to learn than going to the course and playing.
        My brother has been playing for over 25 yrs. He goes to the range way more often than I do.
        I've been playing for 8 yrs. or so and have been know to beat him every once and a while.
        Patience also helps. Don't take it too seriously. You will screw up. Forget it and move on.
        :icon_bigg
        I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

I've been playing golf for a while now (10+ years). When you're on the range and warming up, don't warm up with your driver. Start with the 7 iron. That is supposed to be the easiest club for people to hit. Slowly work your way to the driver... 5... 3... Driver.

There's actually quite a bit of stuff to try and describe to new players. I don't know of any specific sites to help. Golf will really test your patience.

One thing I will point out that I see quite a bit with new golfers is how to adjust your swing for varying distances. This is primarily for short range / chip shots. Many players will try to adjust the speed of the club on the through (forward) swing. This doesn't work. This will really mess up your swing, rhythm where the ball will go. Think of it like you would when putting. You adjust how far back you bring the club and then follow all the way through. Your forward swing should be the same for a majority of your shots, at least as far as new golfers will be concerned. Make sense?

Oh, BTW... I'm no expert. I was only able to get my handicap down to just below a 10 when I played 3-4 times a week.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

The most important thing to remember is:

You gotta wear funny pants.
            I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
            --Douglas Adams

Comment

Go with friends have a few drinks and it will be fun.

Pointers:
              Keep your forward elbow strait
              Eye on the ball
              Keep your forward foot firmly planted on the ground.
              Almost always perform a full swing, even on the small shots. Just dont hit them as hard.

Comment

I am a some-what of a noob, but I Learned one thing really quik (atleast for me), never take advice from a magazine. the only time to take advice is when a person is right next to you and that's before you get to your postion.
                If it is stupid but works, then it is not stupid.
                -Murphy

Comment

Everything I ever needed to know about golf, I learned from Caddy Shack.

Comment

I've spent way too much money on Golf over the years. The one thing I've learned is that everyone has a different swing, tempo, grip, etc.

Specific tips do not apply to all players, so go get some lessons ASAP!

The best piece of advice I have is to avoid the "over the top swing" All amateurs do this. Read about and practice swinging from the inside. This alone has been the single most important key to my consistency (I shoot in mid 80s).
                    New to TG?

Comment

Golf... It's the other white meat

Working on my 3rd Daughter right now so the days of going out 3 times a week have faded... Now I usually go when there's a tournement (best ball) or a day of drinking and golfing...

come to think of it... maybe your intersted in chasing the ball around the course again this summer Apo?? Have a little Gaming/Beer/Food day??

Comment

Originally posted by LOWDRAG
                        Golf... It's the other white meat

Working on my 3rd Daughter right now so the days of going out 3 times a week have faded... Now I usually go when there's a tournement (best ball) or a day of drinking and golfing...

come to think of it... maybe your intersted in chasing the ball around the course again this summer Apo?? Have a little Gaming/Beer/Food day??
                        I'm up for smacking whitey any weekend you want.. We'll definitely have to set something up. Same place? Richmond Country Club? :-)
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Doesnt matter... sometime next month when I can get away for the day/night... I'd rather not drive after (hell .. I'll be happy to walk) maybe Lt. Bob (who I talked to last night for the first time in a couple years... ) Wants to relive the tent snoring ??

S

Comment

Originally posted by en4rcment
                            So, this week I caved in to years of public pressure and went out and bought a set of golf clubs with the intention of learning how to play the game. I actually got a good deal on a set of Bullet 444's, only $150.

I've been to the driving range a few times already and can now hit the ball in a straight line with decent distance.

Since I am a total noob. I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on websites/magazines/or just plain tips that will help me learn the game.

It is my goal to get in a few 9 hole games this summer...
                            Heh... I just shirked some work today to get in some golf. Second time in two weeks, fourth time in my life. :)

I've got two sets of clubs: one I bought used at a yard sale for $5, the other a used set that my father bought, never used, and gave to me. My total financial investment in golf, counting balls, has been about $20. So far, so good.

Here's what I've discovered thus far.
                            • Friends are really the key to having fun, especially when you suck.
                            • Always keep an extra ball in your pocket so you don't have to run back to your bag after you lose your ball in some rough.
                            • You'd think neon yellow balls would be easier to find in the rough, but they're not.
                            • Driving ranges are nice, but an actual course is a bunch different.

Above all, have fun. Green fees are too expensive to not be having fun. :)
                            [volun2]
                            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid
                              Specific tips do not apply to all players, so go get some lessons ASAP!
                              Taking lessons early on is definitely key. You won't spend as much time un-learning all of the wrong stuff you're used to... you can actually work on a correct swing.
                              |TG-12th| asch
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...