Supreme Commander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Commander

For those of you who aren't aware, SupCom is out now for retail purchase. The spiritual successor to the Total Annihilation RTS back in the early 90's, SupCom is everything you ever wanted in an RTS and then some. You can grab the demo and take it for a spin, and do check all the reviews for more detailed information. Outside of the features of the game, one of the most awesome features is it's ability to be completely modded and customized.

www.supremecommander.com
    USAR

Re: Supreme Commander

Please don't call it SupCom, that sounds stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Zoopy_T View Post
      Please don't call it SupCom, that sounds stupid
      It sounds perfectly fine, and that's the abbreviation the developers have chosen to use. SC means "Starcraft" and SuCo is dumb. SupCom is the best option.

Comment

I downloaded the demo. Anyone know of a handy play guide for the demo?

The game has gotten some nice reviews and I'm thinking of picking it up if I learn to play the demo properly.
        |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
        "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
        - Check me out on The Onion
        - I'm on the local news!

Comment

I didn't really get into the game that much. Way to complicated for my tastes. It all seems to boil down to another RTS where the fastest clicker/key hitter wins. That's just my limited first impression though.

- -

Comment

Heard of the game, but never played it.

Looks pretty good though.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu View Post
              It sounds perfectly fine, and that's the abbreviation the developers have chosen to use. SC means "Starcraft" and SuCo is dumb. SupCom is the best option.
              Why not just use the abbreviation Supreme Commander?

(Sorry if I sound like a jackass, I just hate internet abbreviations)

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                I didn't really get into the game that much. Way to complicated for my tastes. It all seems to boil down to another RTS where the fastest clicker/key hitter wins. That's just my limited first impression though.
                same here. im sure some people will like it, but its way to complicated for me to get into. coh for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Snail88 View Post
                  same here. im sure some people will like it, but its way to complicated for me to get into. coh for me.
                  I'm the opposite. I didn't like COH very much because of the narrow scope, while SupCom fits me perfectly and I'm loving everything about it.

If anyone enjoyed TA, then SupCom is a must.

This isn't your regular RTS - mass attacks (ala standard C&C gameplay) will fail miserably against a decent opponent and the same holds true against those that like to turtle. You really have to blend your strategic, tactical and resource management skills together in order to win consistently.

Comment

lol guess i just dont have the mental capacity for it. My brain hurts trying to keep track of everything while im playing. Maybe thats why i like FPS's You only have to worry about yourself most of the time lol

Comment

i don't know i like rts games but i played supcom and i guess im moving to slow because the little voice boxes are yelling at me to complete my objectives so i guess im bad at it. not to mention it takes me like an hour to finish a mission. (the third....mission)
                      Current member of the

Comment

I hated the demo and quit after less than half an hour. It seemed extremely annoying and convoluted and simple. Then someone directed me to these tutorial videos:
                        http://www.fileplanet.com/169530/160...t-Exclusive%5D
                        Once you actually have an inkling of understanding about the game, which these videos provide, it gets SOOO much better. The game is less about combat and more about setting up an extremely finely tuned and self sustaining massive war machine, both economically and militarily. And there are some brilliant things that it does that need to be done in pretty much every RTS game from now on, namely it's shift-click command queue, which lets you make a multi point patrol route, or set in advance a pattern of attack for your bombers, so that you can just queue things up, and then sit back and watch a plan unfold.

Comment

I also thought the demo was awful. Not only was the gameplay no different from most other RTSs, but the graphics and load times were shameful. I have a decent computer (3.2GHz P4, 1GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6800) and it took about 5 minutes to load the first level (with no progress bar - I was considering whether I should ctrl-alt-del, since it had hard-locked my machine when I clicked on the tutorial before). On the lowest in-game settings, I still had a stuttering framerate, and on the medium graphics preset, the game still looked awful. It's difficult to see detail on units and factories. I can't find a balance between being able to see a decent amount of land and being able to see my units.

I downloaded the tutorials after reading Kark's post, but that didn't change my opinion of the game. Waypoints (bomber attack patterns) have been around since Starcraft or earlier. And as far as I could tell, there was no way to add units to a selection (e. g. shift-left click in AOE or Starcraft). Besides, these tutorials should have been interactive and included as part of the game instead of as separate movies.

I'd really like to see an RTS that was based around slowly destroying your enemy rather than rushing with everything you've got once. Unfortunately, SupCom will not be that game for me.

Comment

No, Starcraft didn't have command queues. You could set patrol routes, but they only had a beginning and an end.

They also help in other ways. Perhaps you want a large force to maneuver behind an enemy base and wait. Normally you would have to order them all in a curve, one point at a time. With this, you just hold shift and click 5 or so times in a semi circle, and set up a rally point in the same manner, so that your factory set to keep producing units automatically sends new units in around the enemie's defenses. Or you could set up a similar scenario with transports, where a factory sends units to a rally point near the water, where carriers are waiting to automatically transport all units that arrive across the water and then come back and wait for more.

The gameplay only seems similar to other RTS's if you try and play like other RTS's. Doing that is what made me quit the game. You have to get it in your mind that this does not play like a typical RTS. Missions typically take at least 2 hours, though I've gone up to 3 or 4, so I can forgive the initial load times, since you don't have to see a loading screen for some time afterwards.

Zerging the enemy is an effective, though extremely inefficient method. Units have all sorts of different strengths and weaknesses, and you have to be very careful in how you attack unless you've managed to get an incredibly larger force together. And it isn't a viable long term method.

Comment

I played the demo, expecting that I would love it (I love Total Annihilation), but for some reason, I just couldn't get into it.

I'm back to CoH.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X