Minnesota Driving Laws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Driving Laws

Hey everyone. I just found out I'm moving from Kansas to Minnesota. The driving laws are different and I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I turn 16 in 4 days and am moving to Minnesota at the end of may. Here in Kansas I can get my full license at 16 but its not the same in Minnesota. Would I be able to keep my license up there as well or would I have to wait? If it helps i have had a restricted license so I can drive to school for almost 6 months now. I think I might just be able to keep my license for like a certain period of time before I have to change it, and then I would be 17. Is this possible?

Re: Minnesota Driving Laws

If you're 16 and have a valid Kansas license, I doubt it's like they can revoke your license. Would they ticket every legal 16 year old passing through the state? I'm not familiar with their laws, but I think you'll be ok.

Disclaimer:
    War.mongeR's advice is not professional or have any legal merit. He does not assume any responsibility for not knowing the law.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I agree with War on this
      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by hayes321 View Post
        Hey everyone. I just found out I'm moving from Kansas to Minnesota. The driving laws are different and I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I turn 16 in 4 days and am moving to Minnesota at the end of may. Here in Kansas I can get my full license at 16 but its not the same in Minnesota. Would I be able to keep my license up there as well or would I have to wait? If it helps i have had a restricted license so I can drive to school for almost 6 months now. I think I might just be able to keep my license for like a certain period of time before I have to change it, and then I would be 17. Is this possible?

The best thing you can do if you dont get your answer, is drive up and stop into the local PD. They will be happy to help and be able to give you all the info you need.

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/ots/Laws_...anessa_law.asp

that link might help as well
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Yeah, if I'm interpreting the law correctly, you would have to wait until you are 18 to get your full license. DMV is known to make up rules as they go though, especially fees.

()

Comment

Originally posted by Chewy View Post
            Yeah, if I'm interpreting the law correctly, you would have to wait until you are 18 to get your full license. DMV is known to make up rules as they go though, especially fees.
            Shenanigans.

Comment

Okay, so I'm going to comment from an angle of somebody that actually knows how it works, being the first person actually from Minnesota to respond =P

Things may have changed in the few years since this happened, but when I was in HS a buddy of mine went through a similar issue. He moved up from SC, having turned 16 and received his license two months prior to moving up. They made him re-take the road test in MN, and when he passed, issued his license.

At 16 in MN you can get your drivers license. For the first year you're given a provisonal, which is basically a "Don't screw up" drivers license. Gets revoked if you end up with either a crash or alcohol related moving violation or more than 1 non-related moving-violation, memory serving. Otherwise it has all the same rights and privledges as a regular DL, except you're liable for any minor passenger buckling up as per MN safety belt laws and you cannot drive and use a cell phone. Once that year is up, you get your regular, full 4-year renewable DL and life goes on.

They may just allow you to apply directly for a MN provisional, but they absolutely can deny your application despite the fact that you have a DL in another state because you are now a resident of MN. You'd have to talk to somebody in the know in the town you're moving to in order to find out.
              The PD or the DMV would be good options, or even the local driving instruction agency.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                If you're 16 and have a valid Kansas license, I doubt it's like they can revoke your license. Would they ticket every legal 16 year old passing through the state? I'm not familiar with their laws, but I think you'll be ok.

Disclaimer:
                War.mongeR's advice is not professional or have any legal merit. He does not assume any responsibility for not knowing the law.
                Driving in MN with a valid outstate DL is legal if your permanent residence is in the state your DL was issued in.

Once you move to MN you have to get a valid MN liscense.
                a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X