Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need advise on content blocking...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • need advise on content blocking...

    I recently found out that my 8 year old son has been looking at things he should not be...Does anyone know of a good program to block access to "BAD" stuff?

  • #2
    Re: need advise on content blocking...

    2wire 100 router

    internet explorer

    netnenny
    cybercop
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

    If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: need advise on content blocking...

      an 8 year old shouldnt be on the internet period! just my views......
      From Adam Webb

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: need advise on content blocking...

        Originally posted by Overlag
        an 8 year old shouldnt be on the internet period! just my views......


        agreed,

        i would not let my son on tyhe internet til he was 12-14 depending on his level of maturity by that time, the internet is a sad enviroment, porn is everywhere but more worringly so are the videos like the begheading one and perverts round every corner who wish nothing more than to rape then murder little chilldren,

        im sorry it just isnt safe and those programs are like virus checkers they get some but the most damaging the never get.


        www.TeamElement.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: need advise on content blocking...

          Originally posted by Cobra
          I recently found out that my 8 year old son has been looking at things he should not be...Does anyone know of a good program to block access to "BAD" stuff?
          Umm, if you're talking about that RussianPrisonBrides.com site in your internet history, that was me... :icon25:
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: need advise on content blocking...

            1) Password protect your computer.

            2) Adult supervision.

            That's what your job is. :-)
            I do what I can.

            cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: need advise on content blocking...

              Thx to those who game me answers I could use and not parental advise. I have fixed the problem.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: need advise on content blocking...

                Originally posted by Cobra
                Thx to those who game me answers I could use and not parental advise. I have fixed the problem.
                Did you get content blocking software? If so, which one?
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: need advise on content blocking...

                  Originally posted by Cobra
                  Thx to those who game me answers I could use and not parental advise. I have fixed the problem.
                  I guess that would be me.

                  Just stating the obvious. It wasn't meant negatively nor was it a jab at you.

                  HSantal
                  I do what I can.

                  cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: need advise on content blocking...

                    here is a review of some software


                    http://www.superkids.com/aweb/pages/.../sw_sum1.shtml
                    I may be old but I can still pull the trigger. Because I can't run. That makes me dangerous. :icon_lol:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: need advise on content blocking...

                      Originally posted by HSantal
                      I guess that would be me.

                      Just stating the obvious. It wasn't meant negatively nor was it a jab at you.

                      HSantal
                      Good recovery Santal. I give it a 9.5. :)

                      Guys, please save your unsolicited opinions for the Sandbox. They thrive in that forum and offer no value to anyone here. Cobra asked a very simple and straightforward question; he asked for a piece of computer software to block access to the type of sites that he didn't want his son viewing.

                      He didn't ask how old his son should be before he goes online.

                      He didn't ask for commentary about the evils of the Internet.

                      He didn't ask what his job was.

                      He just asked for some software. He shouldn't have to be lectured to get help, at least not in this forum. But, since we're lecturing, I thought I'd chime in. :)

                      Good luck, Cobra.
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

                      Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: need advise on content blocking...

                        Dunno if it's different for you guys, but I've got a netgear wireless/adsl/switch thing with a built in firewall, does content blocking based on words/strings. Seems to work fine with my two (11 and 13).

                        Just empty your mind of all the bad words into the filter and it blocks quite happily. Now they know I check it they are a little more careful. I'd rather know where they were looking and allow it, than close the door completely and have them go around it - welcome to IT security ;)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: need advise on content blocking...

                          Originally posted by CingularDuality
                          Did you get content blocking software? If so, which one?
                          NetNanny 5.1

                          Works very well. I recomend it. You can even controll what games they play and limit time on the net. Good prog.
                          Last edited by Cobra; 05-25-2004, 08:57 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: need advise on content blocking...

                            Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                            Good recovery Santal. I give it a 9.5. :)

                            Guys, please save your unsolicited opinions for the Sandbox. They thrive in that forum and offer no value to anyone here. Cobra asked a very simple and straightforward question; he asked for a piece of computer software to block access to the type of sites that he didn't want his son viewing.

                            He didn't ask how old his son should be before he goes online.

                            He didn't ask for commentary about the evils of the Internet.

                            He didn't ask what his job was.

                            He just asked for some software. He shouldn't have to be lectured to get help, at least not in this forum. But, since we're lecturing, I thought I'd chime in. :)

                            Good luck, Cobra.
                            Couldnt have said it better myself. There are alot of great things on the net for kids.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: need advise on content blocking...

                              One problem is that your son will probably want your trust on the internet back. Eventualy, you will have to trust him again, or he will be trying to constantlly try to access these sites, it's forbidden fruit (for young). I know, It was only 6 years ago for me.
                              If it is stupid but works, then it is not stupid.
                              -Murphy

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X