Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginning Archery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Beginning Archery

    Hey guys/girls/others,
    I'm thinking of getting into Archery, but there aren't any stores around here for me to go to. Do you know of any sites I can order beginner bows and such? I'll take any criticism or advise you wanna throw at me.

    Thanks!

    "REMEMBER! Pillage first THEN Burn!"

  • #2
    Re: Beginning Archery

    try www.cabelas.com. that ought to fix you up and it's likely you'll find several types and varieties of bows. I shot arrows when I was younger. I used a recurved bow. It was fun. I did it at summer camp many years in a row.

    This one looks good for a beginners bow:

    http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...272&hasJS=true
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Beginning Archery

      ty, ill give that site a try, im going for price more so than anything, being "poor" sucks -_-

      Thanks for the info.

      "REMEMBER! Pillage first THEN Burn!"

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Beginning Archery

        To tell the truth, and I used to shoot competition, I wouldn't buy anything online. Find a store, any store, even if you have to travel hours to get there to pick out equipment.

        Talking to someone with some knowledge of the subject is invaluable. Also, never pick out any bow without physically picking it up and playing with it - there are a ton of variables that go into finding a bow that fits you well, which is the single most important thing you can do to help your shooting.

        What type of shooting do you plan to do? Target, 3D, hunting, etc? All of these impact the type of bow you want, and the type of arrows you get fitted to. Do you plan on shooting fingers, tabs or releases? Are you going with a composite bow or stick bow?

        Even things such as how long your arms are and shoulder strength play a big role in picking out a bow. As a rule of thumb though, don't pick out something with a short brace height as they are twitchy - easy to carry in the woods because they are shorter (and faster typically), but they are tougher on a novice to pattern.

        Carbon arrows are a must, don't bother with aluminum (although this really is preference and not a "must").

        What range are you looking at shooting in? Hunting is typically 5-45 yards, competition can be out to 70-80 yards. This will impact the type, weight of arrows used, and also the weight of the heads you will want to fit.

        To give you an example, my hunting bow setup ran me about $1300. My competition bow setup (which is a composite, not stick bow) ran me over $2000.

        For someone starting out, plan on $500-700 though to get decently outfitted and then practice, practice, practice. Start at 10 yards and just shoot 10 yards until it's automatic to group everything tight in the center ring, then move out by 10 yards and repeat.

        The most important thing is to shoot a lot of arrows on a daily basis. My most memorable moment was a robin hood on a 65 yard shot when shooting 3D outdoors. I still have that sitting on my wall.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Beginning Archery

          I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3051&rd=1&rd=1 on Ebay. It was cheaper than anything else I could find, and even if it isn't the best, it should suffice for the moment, until I can save up some money. Are cardboard boxes okay for targets?

          I just want to through in there that im only 19, and NOT very strong, so I figured a light pull would be good for now.
          Last edited by caldsteven; 03-11-2007, 10:27 PM.

          "REMEMBER! Pillage first THEN Burn!"

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Beginning Archery

            I know very little about archery but I do know that arrows can bounce off of cardboard. My half brother was shooting a a box and it bounce back and hit him in the eye, destroying his eye. He is blind in that eye over 20 years later. Honestly I don't remember anything about the accident except for what my father told me years ago.

            I suppose the best option would be to pick up an archery target. They aren't that expensive and are made of foam.
            Retired 6th DB

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Beginning Archery

              As a traditional (OK, Jaymind, stick bow) archer, let me say I strongly agree with Jaymind. Find a local archery store and get some help. In most of the archery stores (not big box sporting goods stores) people are glad to talk to you. Another suggestion and the way I got started years ago is to find a local archery club and go to one of their shoots. If you experiency is anything like mine was, you will find very friendly, helpful people.

              I will take issue with Jaymind on one point. Arrows should be made of wood and preferably made by the person who is going to be shooting them.


              The time for calm and rational discussion has passed. Now is the time for senseless bickering.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Beginning Archery

                Make arrows? Could u direct me to a creation guide?

                "REMEMBER! Pillage first THEN Burn!"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Beginning Archery

                  Originally posted by jaymind View Post
                  To tell the truth, and I used to shoot competition, I wouldn't buy anything online. Find a store, any store, even if you have to travel hours to get there to pick out equipment.

                  Talking to someone with some knowledge of the subject is invaluable. Also, never pick out any bow without physically picking it up and playing with it - there are a ton of variables that go into finding a bow that fits you well, which is the single most important thing you can do to help your shooting.

                  What type of shooting do you plan to do? Target, 3D, hunting, etc? All of these impact the type of bow you want, and the type of arrows you get fitted to. Do you plan on shooting fingers, tabs or releases? Are you going with a composite bow or stick bow?

                  Even things such as how long your arms are and shoulder strength play a big role in picking out a bow. As a rule of thumb though, don't pick out something with a short brace height as they are twitchy - easy to carry in the woods because they are shorter (and faster typically), but they are tougher on a novice to pattern.

                  Carbon arrows are a must, don't bother with aluminum (although this really is preference and not a "must").

                  What range are you looking at shooting in? Hunting is typically 5-45 yards, competition can be out to 70-80 yards. This will impact the type, weight of arrows used, and also the weight of the heads you will want to fit.

                  To give you an example, my hunting bow setup ran me about $1300. My competition bow setup (which is a composite, not stick bow) ran me over $2000.

                  For someone starting out, plan on $500-700 though to get decently outfitted and then practice, practice, practice. Start at 10 yards and just shoot 10 yards until it's automatic to group everything tight in the center ring, then move out by 10 yards and repeat.

                  The most important thing is to shoot a lot of arrows on a daily basis. My most memorable moment was a robin hood on a 65 yard shot when shooting 3D outdoors. I still have that sitting on my wall.

                  Good points all. I recommended Cabalas simply because I knew they carried archery gear. Not such a good criteria I guess. On many other items I'd have to say Cabela's rocks. I've bought and returned things from cabelas and never had a lick of trouble with their website or policies and procedures.
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Beginning Archery

                    Do you have a public archery range around? My dad took me to one a few times when I was young. It was a converted bowling alley, so it was really nice, really big, indoors, and they had a sweet pro shop. Tons of help too. You could rent all kinds of bows really cheap. That place was so much fun. I wonder if it's still around.
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Beginning Archery

                      Nope, nothing, the only "sports" kinda stores all carry rifles, ive already gone to them.

                      "REMEMBER! Pillage first THEN Burn!"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Beginning Archery

                        Originally posted by caldsteven View Post
                        I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3051&rd=1&rd=1 on Ebay. It was cheaper than anything else I could find, and even if it isn't the best, it should suffice for the moment, until I can save up some money. Are cardboard boxes okay for targets?

                        I just want to through in there that im only 19, and NOT very strong, so I figured a light pull would be good for now.
                        That should be fine for some very basic, basic archery. Shoot a lot and see if you like it - if you do then start saving up, it's a money sink.

                        Don't shoot at cardboard boxes - if anything you can pick up a really cheap target at Walmart to shoot at.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Beginning Archery

                          Originally posted by E0_ View Post
                          I will take issue with Jaymind on one point. Arrows should be made of wood and preferably made by the person who is going to be shooting them.
                          I tried making my own bow and arrows once. The bow turned out decent (as it wouldn't kill me when firing); however the arrows where another story. It's an art I haven't spent the time learning.

                          Of course, most wooden arrows would just shatter coming off my bow. Although, I still pull my stick bow out from time to time to practice some instinctive shooting.

                          Comment

                          Connect

                          Collapse

                          TeamSpeak 3 Server

                          Collapse

                          Advertisement

                          Collapse

                          Twitter Feed

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X