Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

id and Epic blame piracy for going multiplatform.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• id and Epic blame piracy for going multiplatform.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46079

I find this rather depressing to say the very least.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: id and Epic blame piracy for going multiplatform.

How long before the kids start whispering to eachother about how to use Bittorrent to download games to their PS3 or X360 harddrive? Yeah probably a long while I know, and actually playing them won't be so easy...but if the market goes there so will the hacking community.

If they keep putting more and more computer components into these consoles, it really won't be so long before someone finds a way to override the operating system with a method that is simpler than a modchip...or just a really simple modchip...

Everything is at risk, no matter what console you go to next you're just facing off against the inevitable.

-Zephyr
    You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
    We are not a single game.
    We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
    We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

As my Management Information Systems prof told the class, "Anything made by man, can be broken by man."
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Erm, that's obvious.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Aren't their games mostly multi player anyway? Multi = Need CD key = Must buy.

I don't get it.

Comment

Piracy makes a good headline, but it isn't the real story. Lemme rewrite that headline for them...
            Id and Epic release games for multiple platforms to make more money and agree that piracy is a bigger issue with PC games

That is a clearer reflection of reality. Console games are selling more than ever, so they are a great way to make money. PC game sales may have been slowed by piracy, but the true motivator is still money.

Of course, that article is another fine example of quality web reporting. Implying at the end that someone said WoW is successful because it can't be pirated. Millions of people spend money on WoW every month because they can't pirate it. I wonder how many million people pay monthly for this game.
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Single player games mostly, multiplayer games are a no brainer. Look at steam, bf2 and the rest of em. They are full proof because you have to register a valid cd key with the company to play online.

I don't get it either. An excuse to go to consoles only?

- -

Comment

QA is way, way more expensive on PC. Its bad PR to simply say, we're cutting PC support cause we want to cut costs...
                Do or do not, there is no try....
                -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

We'll see how well this will float with the PC crowd...I'm still pissed off at UBI for shafting us on Ghost Recon.
                  Your mouse has moved, please restart windows for the change to take effect.

Comment

i am as well. they are full of themselves if they released some quality multiplayer games piracy wouldn't be an issue.
                    Current member of the

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
                      QA is way, way more expensive on PC. Its bad PR to simply say, we're cutting PC support cause we want to cut costs...
                      I don't see the bad PR part, lots of companies have announced they are developing for the console to make more money. See that's not very hard. :D

- -

Comment

Seems weird, they are making two multiplayer only games cross platform when they are the type of games that are very hard to pirate. It would be a lot easier to pirate a PS3 and Xbox360 version then it would a PC version since the console version don't use cd-keys. (Also you don't need modchips anymore, well for the 360 anyways, not sure about the PS3).

I don't care that companies go multiplatform, just as long as they support the PC and not just do straight console ports. Companies that do a straight ports from console to PC shows that they don't care enough to tweak something as simple as the User Interface.

Comment

Maybe the fact the id and Epic have been releasing the same rehashed games as their cash-cow for over a decade speaks more to their problems. But hey, far be it for me to hold them back from that blank-check deal from MS.

I don't expect any better from id, but Epic can go shove it. They have THE flagship game for 360 that Microsoft pretty much steamrolled for them and they're whining like babies. Please.....

This just reminds me of this (paraphrased) line from "The Replacements."

Reporter: "Football players already seem highly paid."
                          Player: "HEY! Do you have any idea how much insurance costs on a FERRARI!?"

Pfft, I guess things could be worse. I could be forced to watch Cliffy B do interviews on 360 in HD, all the while wondering why the camera man is 6 inches from his face.

Oh wait.....

EDIT: I left out that the original UT was Linux compatible right out of the box. What exactly is this idiot crying about?

Comment

Funcom jumps on too:

Funcom, the developer behind the adventure game classics The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, have announced their decision to stop producing traditional, offline PC games, reports the Norwegian newspaper E24. Funcom, who previously have mentioned MMOs and adventure games as their primary focus, blames piracy as the reason for the decision.

According to Funcom's Trond Arne Aas, there had been over 200,000 illegal downloads of Dreamfall, even before its release last year. Also, he estimates that for each PC game that is sold, between 3 and 10 times as many is stolen, thus resulting in Funcom's decision to stop producing offline PC games.
                            http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=1409

Epic dosn't really have much to stand on, as all their games are pretty much online only (not to mention business from selling the engine) but Funcom isn't that big. The question though is would those 200k people have paid money for the game had it not been available to pirate?

Glad to see it show up on Steam a few weeks ago, but I'm wanting to play though the first game (The Longest Journey) first. Hopefully they'll put it on Steam as well.

And speaking of Steam, I expect PC gaming to head this way, only requiring online authentication to play both single and multiplayer games. If done right, its the only copy protection that can't be cracked and completely is unobtrusive...assuming you have access to an Internet connection. Companies will have to weigh piracy vs. loss of sales from people without broadband.
                            Last edited by Satertek; 03-16-2007, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Satertek View Post
                              Epic dosn't really have much to stand on, as all their games are pretty much online only (not to mention business from selling the engine) but Funcom isn't that big.
                              My problem is that they act like this is some new phenomenon. Software piracy has been around since software has been around. Microsoft (among many other companies) made it fine without software activation for decades. I'm sure they lose some money from pirating, but it is no where near 400%. They're all blowing smoke.

It's not to say I support piracy (I don't), but it's not the big problem they claim it is. That said: I can understand why someone would NOT want to buy UT2004, Doom 3, or Quake 54: they're all the same games with some updates.

The question though is would those 200k people have paid money for the game had it not been available to pirate?
                              In a word: no. It's been a while, but I had found a good article which had findings that basically said people who would buy the game, will buy it. Piraters generally tend to be in the same camp as renters. They tend to be in the "dabbler" group of gamers. For the most part, they wouldn't bother with the game if it wasn't "free."

And speaking of Steam, I expect PC gaming to head this way, only requiring online authentication to play both single and multiplayer games. If done right, its the only copy protection that can't be cracked and completely is unobtrusive...assuming you have access to an Internet connection. Companies will have to weigh piracy vs. loss of sales from people without broadband.
                              Key phrase: "if it's done right."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X