Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The One Ring (phone that is)

One Number That Will Ring All Your Phones

A write-up in the NY Times about a new phone service called GrandCentral. I thought I post it here because the technology and features are pretty unique. Probably the ultimate phone service ever.
    -33rd- BaneII
    Smokers & Jokers

Re: The One Ring (phone that is)

WOW... that's awesome and scary at the same time

Comment

This exact concept was the buzz of the telecom industry 10+ years ago. I think the buzz acronym was PCS (Personal Communications Service??). The theory was that in the near future, everyone would have a number of their own that would follow them wherever they went, likely through smart-card technology. Sometime between then and now, PCS lost that meaning and came to describe a set of cellular technologies.

There is a feature called "simring" which will do this for you, depending on the phone system. I'm not sure whether or not it is available from any of the public providers yet. I used to use simring with my work phone to ring both my cell numbers and my voip phone at the same time as my desk phone.

All of this still doesn't fulfill the real promise of PCS. The gap between designer dreams and market reality is often too wide to bridge. But it looks like the wonder of competition from an independent will drive innovation forward. Go grandcentral.com! :D
      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Most phone companies offer this already as simple call forwarding. I have my home phone and cell phone both set up to ring to each other if I dont pick up after 3 rings, so instead of the standard 4-5 rings, it takes 6 before my voicemail picks up. The idea of having all of your numbers ring simultaneously is nice if youre the eternal bachelor, but if you have roommates or a family, this might be annoying. Think about it: someone from work is trying to reach you on your cell and calls your one number, which rings both your cell and house phone and your 5 year old answers at home before you can fish your cell out of your pocket. Bad juju.

Comment

My cell phone is my only phone.
          The Old Guy
          kin3
          sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement