Any Historical Gun Collecters at TG?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Historical Gun Collecters at TG?

I've always thought about owning a historical gun for display purposes. Since a child I've always been into collecting American Civil War and WWII memorabilia. I suppose it's my interest in history and specifically equipment that was used.

I stumbled across this English company that does highly accurate blank firing weapons. In particular, I'm looking at the Russian PPSH41 which was produced in the millions and was partly responsible for defeating the Nazis.

http://www.modelguns.co.uk/ppsh41.htm

Also, check all their other stuff. Very impressive!
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Any Historical Gun Collecters at TG?

Yes, I enjoy collecting (and shooting) firearms from any time in the past, but the largest part of my "historical" collection right now is comprised of WWII and WWI rifles.

Comment

Forced collector might be the term for me. My mom "made" me take my dad's old Winchester and Remington "western style" rifles with the lever action. I think one's a 30-30 and the other's a 30-6. The other is a black-powder .44 Calvary handgun. They are trying to sell their home and the realtor says guns are a no-no.

I never been big into historical firearms. I like revolvers and all, but I think that's just a hold-over from watching Dirty Harry movies when I was a kid. They always seemed like overpowered hand-cannons to me which I assume appeals to my machismo, but my practicality has taken over later in life (I prefer firearms that are models of functionality).

On a sidenote: my brother has my dad's Thompson Sub-machine gun replica (it's semi-automatic).

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
        I like revolvers and all, but I think that's just a hold-over from watching Dirty Harry movies when I was a kid. They always seemed like overpowered hand-cannons to me which I assume appeals to my machismo, but my practicality has taken over later in life (I prefer firearms that are models of functionality).
        Revolvers are extremely practical and versatile. Depending on the load, they can be used for hunting, self defense, competition shooting, plinking, etc. Just because a S&W Model 29 is chambered for the .44 Magnum doesn't mean you HAVE to shoot ultra hot loads out of it. It can easily be loaded down to .44 Special levels.

Comment

Stupid question......was answerd when i re-read the first post....

awesome find
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Strag View Post
            Revolvers are extremely practical and versatile.
            I've said this before: the automatic pistol replaced the revolver for a reason, it performs better.

How many IPSC shooters do you see with 6-7 shot revolvers who can actually compete: none.

Why does IDPA have it's own class for revolvers: because it's the only way they can compete.

I've only found two instances where a revolver does better than an automatic: for self-defense while hunting in areas with large predators (ex: slinging a .44 magnum when bears might be present) or arming yourself in a post-apocalyptic wasteland where you can't find any new magazines for your automatic.

Nether are scenarios I find myself in routinely.

If you care to debate the issue further, you can PM me or we can start a new thread. I'd hate to derail this one any further.

Comment

I have a couple of old pistols that I have had a hard time Identifying. One is a S&W .32 and the other is a Colt .32. The S&W has the original box with a long barrel. It looks like one of the old revolvers from the 20's.

Maybe I'll post pic's so that someone smarter than I can identify them.
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Last summer I picked up an M1 from CMP, and in the future I'd like to get a 1903 (which I think they're running out of) and an M1 carbine (which are supposed to go on sale soon).

I just have a hard time rationalizing spending lots of money when I rarely get to shoot, and tuition's going to bleed me dry.

Comment

Great thread.

And I can ask if anyone has purchased anything from this site: http://www.mauser.org/

Ever since playing Day of Defeat and getting owned by Mr. Kar Whore/Kar whores(singular and capitalized for the TG member, plural and not capitalized for the hundreds of others that owned me), I've thought about getting one of these...

Can anyone offer some brief advice on the different grades of surplus rifles? Service grade vs. collector grade vs. premium grade? I'm not too interested in any gun to baby and protect. I want to shoot it and show it off to friends and family and explain the historical significance of it. If the only difference between the grades are cosmetic ones, that means I can buy a piece of sniper history for under $300!

I do want to get a Garand, too! Link: http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/index.htm
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                    Great thread.

And I can ask if anyone has purchased anything from this site: http://www.mauser.org/

Ever since playing Day of Defeat and getting owned by Mr. Kar Whore/Kar whores(singular and capitalized for the TG member, plural and not capitalized for the hundreds of others that owned me), I've thought about getting one of these...

Can anyone offer some brief advice on the different grades of surplus rifles? Service grade vs. collector grade vs. premium grade? I'm not too interested in any gun to baby and protect. I want to shoot it and show it off to friends and family and explain the historical significance of it. If the only difference between the grades are cosmetic ones, that means I can buy a piece of sniper history for under $300!

I do want to get a Garand, too! Link: http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/index.htm
                    Oh man I have always wanted a Garand. I remember when I was a teeneager a store in a nearby town sold Garands in their original grease packing for like $100. I wanted one but talked myself out of buying it. I have regretted that decision for the rest of my life.
                    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                      Service grade usually means it's a shooter -- few or no matching parts, and the finish is probably rough. It should go bang every time, though.

Collector grade usually means most or all of the parts are original/matching, but the finish may or may not be all that great. The significance is that the rifle is most likely in the same configuration (or close) as when it left the factory. For a rifle like the M1 Carbine, this is pretty rare because all of the M1 Carbines in inventory were refinished and upgraded after WWII.

Premium grade may or may not mean that all the parts are original/matching, but the finish should be great. Basically this is a rifle that looks fantastic, but it may not have much collector's value.

One of the most historically interesting rifles I own (in my opinion) is a Nazi Mauser that was acquired and rebarreled by the Israelis after WWII. The swastikas and Heereswaffenamt cartouches are mostly peened out, but you can still barely see them. On the top of the receiver is a Star of David. The rifle is in horrible shape (the bore looks like a sewer pipe), but it's pretty fascinating!

Comment

http://www.diggerhistory.info/images.../victory02.jpg

neat pic i found

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
                          I've said this before: the automatic pistol replaced the revolver for a reason, it performs better.

How many IPSC shooters do you see with 6-7 shot revolvers who can actually compete: none.

Why does IDPA have it's own class for revolvers: because it's the only way they can compete.

If you care to debate the issue further, you can PM me or we can start a new thread. I'd hate to derail this one any further.
                          It didn't look like he was trying to debate. Just saying that revolvers are practical and versatile. Just because people don't use them competitively in this day and age doesn't mean they are any less practical or versatile.
                          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

The only thing remotely "historical" I have is a NORINCO SKS that was purchased in its original grease packing. Well. I also have my father's old service revolver, a .38 Colt Trooper with three digit serial number.
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Apo, I hope you bought it second-hand and not directly from the enemy.
                              Your mouse has moved, please restart windows for the change to take effect.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X