SurfControl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SurfControl

does anyone know how to get around SurfControl at work?
    it blocks certian websites and wont let us get to them

Re: SurfControl

There are a number of potential ways to get around SurfControl, but it's quite dependent on how the rest of your network is designed and protected. If they are only forcing port 80 traffic through the SurfControl box you can use an external open proxy. If they are blocking well known proxy ports and/or forcing all traffic through the SurfControl box you may need to look into setting up a VPN to your house so you can VNC or Remote Desktop to your home machine and browse from there.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

You can do a google search for the site you want to go to, and then next to the website addresses it should say "Cached". Click on that and you should be able to view what you want. It's a pain, but it works.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

the google doesn't quite work
        we were mainly trying to get the lotto numbers and found that anything that has to do with the lottory is blocked.
        cant get radio stations you tube or lotto but i can get tg so its not to bad

Comment

If you want to keep accessing TG at work it's probably best not to draw your IT dept attention to your surfing habits by trying to bypass Surfcontrol.

That's what we use at work, and I'm the nasty IT manager who looks for exactly that behaviour as I figure anyone trying to bypass Surfcontrol is up to no good so I'll look to see where else they are going that isn't line of business.

of course, IT dept doesn't go through Surfcontrol :)

Comment

Originally posted by Zhoed View Post
            If you want to keep accessing TG at work it's probably best not to draw your IT dept attention to your surfing habits by trying to bypass Surfcontrol.

That's what we use at work, and I'm the nasty IT manager who looks for exactly that behaviour as I figure anyone trying to bypass Surfcontrol is up to no good so I'll look to see where else they are going that isn't line of business.

of course, IT dept doesn't go through Surfcontrol :)
            Any company that has a decent set of controls will have their entire network purpose built and it will be unlikely that employees will be able to easily bypass SurfControl. Although; if your network allows outbound VPN access there's not much you're going to be able to see in terms of what your end users are doing.

At one point I was actually playing around with an open VPN service for TG supporting members that would allow them to open a VPN connection to the TG network and browse the site through the VPN rather than through their corporate network and/or other potentially hostile networks (coffee shops, hotels, unsecured public wireless, etc). It's something I still want to do, but it's no longer at the top of my list of priorities.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X