Shotgun Owners?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun Owners?

Hey folks! I just bought a Mossberg 500A and took it out shooting at the local range today. (Great Fun!) I put 50 shells through it and had a "blast"

I was wondering if anyone has any lesser known tips on the operation or maintenance of this firearm. (or one similar to it) I have never owned a shotgun before and I shouldn't have walked into the pro shop with my money on me. :P

It also seems to me that this may be a way better home defense weapon than my glock due to that unmistakable sound of a shell "racking" into the receiver.......who wouldn't just run as fast as they could after hearing that in the dark?

P.S. My friend found out that cans of creamed corn make the best impromptu targets since they burst yellow. LOL

Re: Shotgun Owners?

Cleaning a pump shotgun isn't a daunting task. If you really want it clean:
    Check here

I don't clean my pump shotgun much at all. It's really not a big deal unless you went out on a nasty day or got something in it. I usually just put some oil in the action and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by freekyE View Post
      Hey folks! I just bought a Mossberg 500A and took it out shooting at the local range today. (Great Fun!) I put 50 shells through it and had a "blast"

I was wondering if anyone has any lesser known tips on the operation or maintenance of this firearm. (or one similar to it) I have never owned a shotgun before and I shouldn't have walked into the pro shop with my money on me. :P

It also seems to me that this may be a way better home defense weapon than my glock due to that unmistakable sound of a shell "racking" into the receiver.......who wouldn't just run as fast as they could after hearing that in the dark?

P.S. My friend found out that cans of creamed corn make the best impromptu targets since they burst yellow. LOL
      I have a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870. The only thing I really do is periodically clean the bolt and chamber and pull off the choke and clean the choke and threads. It should be largely maintenance free.

Good choice on the 500. I prefer that over my 870 by a landslide. The 870 always seems to catch my finger when I'm loading the thing whereas the guide on the 500 doesn't. The 500 also seems to be "meatier".

Having not ever owned a shotgun before, you made a great choice and got a great weapon that should provide you a lifetime of reliable service.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I always like tomato sauce or Spagetti O's. It kind of looks like blood splatter.

Comment

There are lots of rad add-ons to the 500 that'll make it look awesome.
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
            There are lots of rad add-ons to the 500 that'll make it look awesome.
            I've got a short barrel with heat shield for my 500 along with a pistol grip. They're sitting in one of my gun bags though as they don't make the thing overly practical for my purposes.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Also, about your post on the home defense issue. This has been a debate over sometime over which is better. One thing to be aware of is the rounds to use for home defense. I personally have a 870 loaded with #4. After reading on other forums this is the round of choice for me. Also I have a side saddle with more ammo and some slug rounds as well. The #1 purchase for me though was the weaponlight. It turned an already wonderful weapon into a truly useful one. I also have a speedstock Jr on it for shorter length of pull. It's a sweet little gun and runs just great. I really want to send it off to Vang Comp for some work one day down the road.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys!

Thanks for the link Fenix!

Apophis, I knew the mossberg name and had never heard bad things about it, plus it was simply a beatiful gun. It caught my eye almost as much as the Sig 229 that I am now saving up for.

Jonan, LOL....ill try those next time.

Tybalt, Yep, Ive already been looking and the pistol grip w/stock looks like the stock for me.....and a fore-end with flashlight will obviously help in the "home defense area" and a sidesaddle for shells will just add convenience.

I have to say after shooting pistols for a while this gun really gave me that sense of "power" all over again.....it is just a devastating weapon. I cant wait to get it on the range again.....heck, Im even thinking about getting a hunting license next season....(first time ever)

Comment

...heck, Im even thinking about getting a hunting license next season....(first time ever)
                  And this is the great thing about shotguns. They can easily be converted from home defense duty to hunting firearm. Good stuff.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

For hunting/home defense I personally have my Beratta 303 waterfowl, and a M2 Benelli. I have had the 303 for maybe 14 years now and out of the numerous shotguns both my father, all his shooting buddies and myself have owned it is the most reliable and useful. The one thing it does lack is the clack clack of loading it. But I am sure I can unload it faster when the time comes.

The M2 is a fine shotgun but I have found myself using the 303 more and more lately. The 303 has safety features that were made for waterfowl but work very well when riding in a vehicle or on a trailer.

I have a old Model 12 shotgun that belonged to my grandfather also that is a great old pump shotgun. Although I would not trust it not to short shuck a shell when I really needed a second shot. I know a automatic is nervous proof.
                    |TG-12th| Sawviper

Comment

Definitely a good choice in the 500. I have an 870, but I bought it from my gunsmith, already customized when I bought it. Great shooter and a blast at the range.

My 870 with a few other toys.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8363/1234we8.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                        I've got a short barrel with heat shield for my 500 along with a pistol grip. They're sitting in one of my gun bags though as they don't make the thing overly practical for my purposes.

I have the exact same thing without the heat shield. I bought it many years ago from Service Merchandise. It was called the "campers combo".

I have run probably thousands of shells through it and it is a solid gun. I do keep the short barrel and grip on it mainly because I just use it for target shooting and it is fun as hell to fire with the pistol grip. :D
                        Retired 6th DB

Comment

I am sure you guys have already seen this shotgun but just in case:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isBZTwLh79M
                          Has anyone gotten to shoot one of these? They look like a hell of a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by jonan_ View Post
                            I am sure you guys have already seen this shotgun but just in case:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isBZTwLh79M
                            Has anyone gotten to shoot one of these? They look like a hell of a lot of fun.
                            I dislike shotguns, but I love that video!
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Poor little kitty :row1_1:

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X