Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where The Hell Is Matt?

http://www.wherethehellismatt.com/index.html

Some of you may have seen this before... but something about his story and the video is pretty cool... I mean how many guys have the balls to quit their job to travel the world? Yeah... not many.

Here is a candid interview with him: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RFtTSisZtVY.

()

Re: Where The Hell Is Matt?

Thanks for posting this. Matt Harding truly is an inspiration for me. It's true that we all limit ourselves when it comes to worldly experiences. That's why I have enjoyed the military so much. I've been all around the world and have seen so much that my civilian friends will probably never experience. I've been a semi-civilian (i.e. Reservist) since last August and I've determined that I can never work in a cubicle from 9-5. As soon as my car's paid off, which will be this year. It's time for some civilian international travel! Think about it people. One year of average car payments is around $5,000! You can do a lot with that money. Trust me. It costs next to nothing around the world (except in Western Europe and Japan). Even then, you can still get around cheap through back-packing, hostels, and the right people.

One of my favorite things about traveling is breaking the misconceptions we have about other cultures. People are so full of crap when they say Americans are so hated around the world. Except for a few snobby German's I've met who had nothing to do except talk about how superior everything German was, most people you'll meet around the world are super hospitable, very outwardly friendly, and very gracious. All you have to do is attempt to say a few words in their language and they'll come back with a smile and will usually try to speak English with you. I've even had wonderful experiences in Islamic and middle eastern countries. No, not everyone in the world agrees with American policies, but once they see YOU, they don't see an ugly American. They see another fellow human. When you travel, just don't be an average tourist who expects to just see the sites and be on your way without getting to know anyone. Immerse yourself in these cultures and you'll have the time of your life. I've had tea with turks, hukas with kuwaitis, beer and bugs with thais, sake with japanese, bulgogi with koreans, paella with spaniards, pasta with cicilians, etc., etc.

I just read a 3-page article in my local newspaper about a local guy who decided to go motorcycling through Iran with some strangers who were also planning the same trip. He was blown away by how gracious and friendly the locals were. Even in Tehran. Children told him that they thought Bush was a terrorist (I'm sure that's what they've been raised to think), yet he was greeted by mayors of towns who treated him like a king. So just because countries may disagree, doesn't always mean that it's impossible to travel there. Just avoid the obvious topics of religion and politics. Don't push your values on them, just as I hate it when foreigners come here and critique everything about us. Basically, world travel is a blast, and any one who WANTS to do it, just needs to do it. Don't make any more excuses.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Re: Where The Hell Is Matt?

War Monger that was very well said! AMEN! If you read his FAQ (at least I think that's where I found it) he talks about how cheap it is to travel compared to living a normal, everyday life at home.

()

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X