Dubai/Kuwait

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dubai/Kuwait

I went for a job interview in Dubai last week. Hopefully I got it but Its a very strange place.

My plane was full of ex-military / engineers all on their way to earn a fortune in Iraq.

It looks like someone unleased a licence to make buildings but no traffic laws or lights to with it.

The bars are something to behold. Full of middleaged businessmen on one end and various ladies of various countries at the other end. Not a pretty sight. Anyway after 2 days of little sleep and 5 interviews I found this quite amusing for about 5 mins untill a blonde eastern european lady (who had a 5 o'clock shadow) started to sing. Less than amused I went to pack and travel to the airport.

I thought I would share this rather than do my personal ojectives at work.
    Last edited by Happy Shooter; 03-26-2007, 10:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Take it for the team

Re: Dubai/Kuwait

Originally posted by Happy Shooter View Post
    Last edited by Happy Shooter : 03-26-2007 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Good show!
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I work for the National Fire Protection Association. We are a non profit technical publisher who is responsible for the development of building and life safety codes that are adopted all around the world. Though I haven't been to Dubai we've done many training programs in recent months to get people up to speed on the current Life Safety Code and to influence the government Dubai is a bit like the wild west right now. Lax building codes and amazing amounts of commercial development happening right now. Tragically you'll likely see a large loss fire that will cost millions of dollars and who knows how many lives before you'll see any formalized building codes adopted.
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Shooter View Post
        I thought I would share this rather than do my personal ojectives at work.
        Interesting story and excellent motivation. :)
        Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

is it true that Kuwait is very US/UK friendly. Ive always wanted to go and visit or go to that area. Get some pics.
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR] View Post
            is it true that Kuwait is very US/UK friendly. Ive always wanted to go and visit or go to that area. Get some pics.
            My submarine pulled port in Bahrain and I did hit Dubai in fact I watched Bryan Adams in concert while I was there. Yes it WAS a long time ago. SO the area at times feels like a whole different world then you can walk into some building/bar/concert and it almost feels like your in America...

Just a note: Remember to always haggle for whatever your buying, if not they think you are stupid and weak...LOL!

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Its friendly if your a White Western Male.

If you think there are racial issues in the US or UK its a whole different story out there.

Class Structure in Kuwait is:

1 - Kuwaiti Nationals - All Rich
              2 - White Westener -
              3 - Other Arabs
              4 - Every One Else

You can walk to the front of the queue anywhere if its full of migrant workers.

Dubai

Much more of a heady mix but a similar structure again.

Apparently for this job if they offered it to an Indian who was more qualified then me he would get less money. I dont think they have developed equal opportunities yet.
              Take it for the team

Comment

Originally posted by Quest Shady View Post
                My submarine pulled port in Bahrain and I did hit Dubai in fact I watched Bryan Adams in concert while I was there. Yes it WAS a long time ago. SO the area at times feels like a whole different world then you can walk into some building/bar/concert and it almost feels like your in America...

Just a note: Remember to always haggle for whatever your buying, if not they think you are stupid and weak...LOL!
                My cruiser pulled into Bahrain and Dubai (Jebal Ali) in 1991. I still managed to drink.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyStrike View Post
                  My cruiser pulled into Bahrain and Dubai (Jebal Ali) in 1991. I still managed to drink.
                  OH yea they pulled up a truck and made a beer garden and also pulled up a KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell truck so made an impromptu food court in the desert...LOL! Everything tasted just "NOT RIGHT"...LOL not quite home....

I pulled in there about 1991 as well...Maybe my sub docked outboard you...we did have to do that a couple times with a cruiser and another time a sub tender...

I also got to do a cross-training platform where I went on a cruise in their Sonar Shack while some of them went on the sub....

Comment

OH yea they pulled up a truck and made a beer garden and also pulled up a KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell truck so made an impromptu food court in the desert...LOL! Everything tasted just "NOT RIGHT"...LOL not quite home....

I pulled in there about 1991 as well...Maybe my sub docked outboard you...we did have to do that a couple times with a cruiser and another time a sub tender...

I also got to do a cross-training platform where I went on a cruise in their Sonar Shack while some of them went on the sub....
                    What sub? I was on the Truxtun, CGN-35

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

What sub? I was on the Truxtun, CGN-35
                      USS Helena SSN 725 out of Pearl Harbor Hawaii....

Comment

USS Helena SSN 725 out of Pearl Harbor Hawaii....
                        cool. I did 2 west pacs. Stopped in Pearl Harbor several times. We were home ported out of San Diego and Bremerton.

the bad ole days :)

MM2 (SW)

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

cool. I did 2 west pacs. Stopped in Pearl Harbor several times. We were home ported out of San Diego and Bremerton.

the bad ole days :)

MM2 (SW)
                          LOL Yea I did 2 1/2 West Pacs and a couple East Pacs (Which means from Hawaii it was up in Canada and Washington State LOL). Did hit Bremerton a couple of times for a demagnification of the sub.

It was cool to HAVE been in but a pain during the times...LOL!

STS3/SS/DV

Comment

Bremalos!!!!

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Bremalos!!!!
                              Took me a second....HAHAHA. Just like in Groton, CT we had the Grotopotamus...LOL!:row__523:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X