Help with Vacation choices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Vacation choices

I am planning on going to either Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic for 5 days in May. I am looking into which country to go to and where to stay. I am probably looking at some sort of all inclusive resort near the beach. If anyone here has been to either of these places and could provide some insight, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Re: Help with Vacation choices

Drunk, I havent been to either one but I can tell you in the course of my work I've worked with people from both places quite a few times. My contacts in Dominica always invite me to go and have a good time in Dominica. They are always going on about their famous hospitality etc etc. Don't get much of that from my contacts in Puerto Rico...I'd give Dominica a try if it were me, but truth be told, they can't be that far off the mark from eachother..
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

The DR has a much better reputation for those kinds of resorts. If I were the one traveling, I would definitely go there instead of Puerto Rico.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

dude just go somewhere far, i suggest cyprus! not only cause im from there! lol
        !it is a greek island! u can combine everything there, perfect weather, nice beach, night life, and a 9000 years old history, castles from crusadors, ancient theaters.!
        and most important hot women!

Comment

5 days is not enough time to go half-way around the world! :)

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenSoul View Post
            I am planning on going to either Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic for 5 days in May. I am looking into which country to go to and where to stay. I am probably looking at some sort of all inclusive resort near the beach. If anyone here has been to either of these places and could provide some insight, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
            I spent my honeymoon at a couples-only all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. It was a great trip and I'd recommend it to anyone. It was right on the beach, the staff was friendly, food was decent, beach was awesome, no kids was excellent.
            |TG-12th| asch
            sigpic

Comment

If you decide to include Mexico in your list of possibilities, my wife and I stayed at an all-inclusive resort in Puerto Nuevo, which is just a few minutes north of Puerto Vallarta, and had a great experience.

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

PR is still the USA. Go to the DR. Going alone or with your spouse?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyStrike View Post
                  PR is still the USA. Go to the DR. Going alone or with your spouse?
                  Being 21, I hope I dont have a spouse. Ill be going with my brother and my parents before heading on a nice road trip with my friends after my internship.

Comment

I work with a few Puerto Ricans, and with a couple of guys from here in the mainland that lived in PR for a while. Based on what I know of Puerto Rico, I could only advise you to stay far, far away from that island.

Besides, as someone already pointed out, if you're going to travel to a primitive, tropical, faraway island, you might as well actually leave the United States!
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                      I work with a few Puerto Ricans, and with a couple of guys from here in the mainland that lived in PR for a while. Based on what I know of Puerto Rico, I could only advise you to stay far, far away from that island.

Besides, as someone already pointed out, if you're going to travel to a primitive, tropical, faraway island, you might as well actually leave the United States!
                      I'd have to disagree with Cing here. I've been to PR on vacation and found it to be an absolutely wonderful place. Remember, PR is only TECHNICALLY part of the US, it has its own culture and own appeal (according to some of the standard textbooks there, the US actually has 53 states...quality of education isnt a factor on vacation, but hey.)

Both places are equally nice. They both have beautiful beaches, a whole lot for tourists to do and some of the most amazing scenery you'll ever see. Either place is a good choice.

Just keep in mind that both places have higher crime rates than you're used to and they will spot you as a tourist and try to sucker you if not downright steal from you. Carry travelers cheques instead of cash. If you do wind up needing cash, TC's are pretty much universal at banks and can be cashed anytime, but most establishments take them anyway. The upside to having them is that if they get lost, they can be replaced for free, as opposed to being outed with cash. Make sure you keep valuables locked in your hotel room, minimize the jewelery you wear. Simple things will make you a less likely target.

I'm not trying to scare you, but those are the facts when travelling pretty much anywhere outside the US. US tourists are pegged worldwide as suckers, trust me here.

Other than that, I'd tell you to flip a coin and go for it. Both places are gonna show you a fantastic time.

Comment

Surely theese places have ATMs? I always found travellers cheques to much hassle to bother.
                        --
                        VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerHans View Post
                          Surely theese places have ATMs? I always found travellers cheques to much hassle to bother.
                          I've traveled all over the world and never used travelers checks once. ATM all the way.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyStrike View Post
                            I've traveled all over the world and never used travelers checks once. ATM all the way.
                            Keep saying that until the first time you get pickpocketed and your cash+atm card disappears! It sucks, trust me.

Comment

Thats why it is always smart to keep a separate Card in the hotel safe.
                              --
                              VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...