No announcement yet.

AAR: Paintballing for the first time

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAR: Paintballing for the first time

It was a drizzly day yesterday, but around 2:00 it began to clear up. I called around to a couple of the fields nearby and found one that had a group coming in around 3:00. They said it was no problem for me to show up and play.

I packed my gear and headed out.

The place was way out in the sticks. The directions they gave were flawless though, so I didn't have a problem finding it.

I was fearful that the group would be a bunch of 13-year olds on a birthday party or somesuch. As I pulled into the parking area, I saw a bunch of people in BDUs...and they were all way too tall to be kids. Much relief was felt.

I did a brief round of introductions. These were all military guys from the army base. Good deal...I can dig that.

Round 1: Woodsball: When you don't know anything, you can't make mistakes.
    We started with picking teams for the first game...woodsball. We set up, hollered back and forth that we were ready, and started the game. My memory isn't so great on this first game. I was trying to learn by observing my teammates, but quickly found out that they were almost as wet behind the ears as I was...or at least it seems that way in hindsight.
    Picture a Civil War battle being fought in the trees. No attempt at stealth...everyone found a spot of cover and traded shots until they got hit. I was the second person to get tagged out on my team, and they ended up wiping the walls with us.

Lesson learned: Do it yourself...don't just mimic what the others are doing.

Round 2,3,4: Speedball
    A small speedball course was set up to one side of the woodsball field. Everyone wanted to give that a try, so we headed over that way. We played a couple of games fairly quickly. I've learned that speedball doesn't make for a good story. Lots of shots flying, not a lot of things to say besides "I was hugging that barrel like a drunken barfly on an ugly waitress" and the complete lack of satisfaction that I got from it. Speedball just isn't what I'm cut out for.

The moment of stupidity
    I had a noobish moment.
    We had eliminated all but one guy who was pinned down behind a barrel and a pallet. I knew he couldn't see me, so I shifted up to the cover just in front of his position. While my teammates laid down a hail of fire to keep him tucked in, I ran down the boundary and shot him from 10 feet away. I'm not sure what happened...I guess I had a brainfart or something. We'd all agreed to not shoot from point blank and instead yell "Bang! Safety kill" and get 'em to surrender. This totally slipped my mind in the heat of things and I pegged him once in the arm. I'm sure he's got a bruise. I apologized profusely and made sure he knew I didn't do it on purpose.
    Thankfully, he was a good sport about it. During our next speedball round, he tagged me in the arm (from a much further distance) and we called ourselves even.

Lesson learned: Even though I'm an admitted non-fan of speedball, I did learn something. I'm a noob...I need to think about the range I'm at before I do something stupid like that.

Round 5: Woodsball: The Art of Cover
    We took a break to refill air, hoppers, etc. and had a couple smokes and whatnot.
    We decided to go back to playing woodsball.
    In the next game, I was a bit more prepared. Another teammate and I hung out way to the left, while the rest were positioned on the right. He and I spent some time hanging back until the other guys engaged. Once we heard them shooting, we began moving up our side.
    We both found some great cover and began exchanging shots with two that were facing us. It bogged down with poking out from behind cover, firing off some shots, and ducking back in.
    It was just a matter of time...lucky shots tagged both of us out.

Lesson learned: Cover keeps you from being hit as often, but they still know where you are.

Round 6: Woodsball: Confusion and Concealment
    With this lesson learned, I started the next game right next to the boundary of the field. With nobody else with me, I knew I could flank without anyone giving away my position by firing too early. I crouch-ran, low-crawled, and used the sound of firing to mask my movements.
    I got into a great position and was able to take three enemies down in quick succession because they were too focused on the rest of my team. After getting these three, I had a friendly start shooting at me but was able to wave him off before he got me.
    Not seeing any further enemies, I started moving in towards the center of the field...there was one guy left on the enemy side, and three on mine. I saw movement along the opposite edge of the field from where I had begun my flanking, so I began stalking him. I couldn't tell at this point if it were a friendly or enemy, so I tried to get in close enough to see if I could recognize him.
    Well...he popped out from behind a tree and lit my position up. I returned fire and he began running away. I shot him in the ass and he yelled and bawled about it. (I found out later that his marker had jammed, which is why he ran away.)
    As he walked towards me, we realized a grave error had been made. He was on my team! We both said our "woopses" and I turned 180 degrees to face back into the field.
    Again, I saw I stalked up a bit. We saw each other, but held fire.

Having just pounded one of my teammates in the ass (yeah, that's how we talked about what happened after the game...we had great humor), I was hesitant to light him up. I yelled out "I'm Tripp, who are you?" He yelled something back that I didn't quite catch. So, I held the barrel of my marker pointing towards the ground and walked right up to him. At 2 feet away, we were still confused. Everyone from this other group tended to look the same because they were all army guys with their BDUs on. I had a realtree patterned t-shirt and a pair of tiger stripe BDU pants on, so I was a bit easier to identify.

He said "I don't think we're on the same team."
    I said "Yeah, I don't think so either, but it'd hurt like hell if we shot each other right now."
    He said "Yeah."
    I said "Let's just call it even."

We both walked to the neutral area where the others waited. They asked who got who and got a good laugh out of the mixup.

Lesson learned: Stealth and concealment is far superior to having a good piece of cover but everyone knows where you are.
    Secondary lesson: Know thy teammates.

Round 7: Woodsball: Sneakiness is next to Godliness
    The final game was another round of woodsball. At this point, our teams were tied up one to one.

By this point, I had gained a reputation for being sneaky. I guess everyone that had been tagged out the last round had swapped stories about how they went down.
    I again chose the right flank just along the boundary and another teammate joined me. He said that I should stay hidden and be sneaky, and he'd draw their fire.
    It didn't quite happen that way. I found a great piece of concealment and no sooner did I get settled than I saw an enemy stalking the same area coming from the other direction. If I moved, he'd see I kept still and waited for him to come into range.
    My partner must have gotten impatient, because he was nowhere to be found. I held my position and held my fire. Minutes passed and the entire field was shots fired so far.
    I remembered some tips I'd read online about playing of which was to avoid having tunnel vision. I mentally marked where my quarry was and did a couple quick scans of the area. I'm glad I did. Another enemy was further forward and a bit closer to the center. He hadn't seen me, but I had a great angle to take him out.
    I held fire though...I had spotted the new threat, but had lost track of the original guy. A mental "oh schnarkeys!" kept me quiet until I could spot him again.

Shots began near the center of the field, and my secondary target began a retreat...moving across my lane of fire towards where I'd lost my original target. Now that I didn't have to worry about crossfire, I lit him up. He had no idea what happened. Two three-round bursts and he called himself out without knowing exactly where I was.

My shots had flushed out the guy I'd lost track of. He was beginning to flank me just along the edge of the treeline. He made no attempt at stealth...he crashed through the brush trying to get to a position with two large trees forming a tight V to set up a defensive position.

I began moving parallel towards the way he came from and caught him looking the other way. It was close...and having already embarrassed myself with the earlier point-blank shot on the speedball course...I yelled for a safety kill. Well...he decided to chance it and began shooting. I'm not sure how it happened, but he missed. I ran towards the edge of the field, getting an angle on his trees he was using for cover and laying down fire to keep his head down.
    I got a lucky shot and he howled in pain as I connected multiple rounds with his wrist, hand, and arm.

Having wiped out the opposition on this side of the field, I began moving deeper into enemy territory. There's an open trail that cuts right through the field at an imaginary halfway point. Two more enemies were using this trail and a copse of trees and brush for cover...facing towards my team's "side" of the trail. They had a damn good position...but only against people that were still on my team's side of the field. I had them outflanked and they didn't yet know it.
    The guy who had his arm torn up was walking down the trail, but was honorable enough to keep silent as he walked towards the neutral area.
    I wasn't sure how long that honor would last, so I tried to hurry in moving up into range.
    About the time I had a decent shot, he had moved up to his teammates. I had to wait for him to pass before I could attempt a shot. Again, I admire his honor. He didn't tell them where I was.

I shot the nearest of the two enemies and he looked over at me in confusion...then recognized my camo (Remember, I was the only one that DIDN'T have a BDU jacket on) and cursed, then raised his hand and started the walk out.
    His partner hadn't seen the shots, but obviously knew something had gone wrong because of the direction the guy had just turned to look at me before calling out.

I snuck up a bit closer...closer than I liked for a shot that wouldn't hurt too much. Having again hit someone from close range a minute ago, I was worried about causing too much pain...even if the guy deserved it for deciding to shoot instead of surrender.
    I yelled for a safety, made sure they saw me, and waited. They didn't surrender. Matter of fact, they ignored me and went back to trading shots with two other guys on my team.
    I was a little confused. Maybe they thought I was on their team...after all, I was behind them.

I yelled again..."Surrender or I shoot you."
    No response...
    My two teammates were rushing the last enemy...I was actually further away than they were and they still didn't have LOS to the enemy player. When they did, it would hurt like hell if they both shot 'em.
    So, I did the humane thing...I shot the last player in the hopes that they'd call themselves out before my other two teammates made it REALLY hurt.

Thankfully, they called out after a burst of three shots and the game was over.

We all walked back and had another round of smoking and trading stories.
    I had gained a reputation on my first time playing..."Sneaky bastard"

I took it as a complement. I'm not sure why nobody else was doing anything similar. These were army guys, so I guess I expected a bit more than the bounding overwatch (Alternating...just like we practice here in the 9th M.I.D. Special thanks to Crux & Crew from the 3rd for that knowledge.) that they did. Nobody really went to the lengths that I did to be sneaky.

Lesson learned: Stealth and concealment rock, but don't be afraid to shoot someone just because you think it'll hurt. Everyone has different pain tolerances and a guy that yells and bawls from a hit from 20 yards away might just be a sissie.

Wrapping Up
    All in all, I had a blast. As we were cleaning gear, one guy asked how long I'd been playing and prefaced it with "You played like you've done this before."
    I explained it was my first time and he was surprised at that. I did explain that many moons ago in my days of Boy Scouts, I was a Capture the Flag fanatic. I guess that was a good enough explanation.

We exchanged phone numbers and all headed out.
    Good times...good times.

MVP of the day: My kneepads. Hands-down, this is the best investment I've made. The ground was wet and squishy, there were fallen limbs and brambles everywhere, and these things gave me the added courage I needed to get down and dirty where others might worry about hurting themselves.
    In fact, during Round 5, I was tagged out because I got shot on the kneepad. Suffice to say, it didn't hurt a bit.

I had bought an el-cheapo set of Rollerblading pads back at Christmas and never really used 'em. Sooo...about a month ago I broke 'em out and used some painter's tape and camo spray paints to tiger-stripe the kneepads to match my pants. I did a little of the same to my mask and hopper as well.
    Now that I've had my trial by fire, I'll probably do the set of elbow pads in camo as well. After having gone without them the first time out, I've decided that I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of maneuverability and stiffness in order to give me more confidence when low-crawling.
    Last edited by Prophaniti; 04-15-2007, 05:06 PM.
    |TG-9th| Prophaniti

Blood and Honor, The Journal of a 9th MID Soldier

Re: AAR: Paintballing for the first time

Wow great write up. I used to play many moons ago but got out of the sport in the past couple of years. I have had a blast playing but the modern movement to speedball just isn't my "speed" (yuck, yuck).

Knee pads are a must have. Also get a good pair of durable shoes.
    Retired 6th DB

Originally posted by Prophaniti View Post

Sneakiness is next to Godliness[/b]
      All war is based on deception.-- Sun Tzu
      I love it.

I still play a few times a year, but not as much as I used too. Here's a list of games I compiled that have many fun opportunities to be sneaky and devious. Some I played and others, I never had the chance. Kill the Rabbit and President's Men were always crowd favorites.

Kill the Rabbit
      Description -
      One player against, say, nine people? Sounds interesting. It's rabbit season, but this rabbit is armed.
      Teams -
      Two teams. One team is a single pleyer... the rabbit. The other team, who ever likes rabbit meat. But don't over do it. Limit it to no more than 10. Another varrient, got this idea from Fear Factor. Write a number 1-10 on individual pieces of paper and put them into a hat. Have the "rabbit" pick a number (without looking) out of the hat. What ever number that is, will be that many hunters after him/her. Possibly keep the bunny in suspense and not tell him the number he picked from the hat.
      Time -
      20 minutes is a good time limit.
      Setup -
      Any size area. Best if in the woods. But make sure you make boundrys. The hunters are limited to 12 paintballs each. The bunny gets 2-4 minute head start to hide and gets to use a semi auto.
      Rules -
      Give the rabbit a head start to run into the woods and hide. When that time is up, signal to let the bunny know that the hunt is on. The hunters can bunch up or can fan out. But they start from the same starting point. You are considered out of you run out of paint or are marked.
      Winning -
      This is total elimination. If the hunters tag the rabbit, the hunters win. If the rabbit is the last player standing, he wins.

Description -
      Speedball (or centerflag) is a type of capture the flag. But instead of having two or more flags, you only have one. Players win by total elimination or taking the flag to there opponents starting station.
      Teams -
      Two teams of equal players.
      Time -
      The name should explain it. Speedball. 15 minutes is the typical time limit. Though, I have seen 10 and 20 minute games.
      Setup -
      The flag is hung in the center of the field. A starting area for each team should be designated on each end.
      Rules -
      Played like the Classic game format.
      Winning -
      Take the flag to the opposing teams start position. The game is a draw if time expires.

Frozen in Time
      Description -
      It is the ice age with "special" paintball markers that freezes your target when hit.
      Teams -
      Two teams. Try and make experience levels equal on both teams.
      Time -
      20 minutes is a good time limit.
      Setup -
      Any size area.
      Rules -
      Classic game rules applies. Except when tagged out, the player freezes in place (can kneel if in the crossfire) and raises a hand to show that you were tagged. Do not move from the spot. You are able to get back into play if physically tagged on top of your head by another player. After being tagged by a friendly player, the player is unfrozen and continues to play. If tagged by an opposing player, the frozen player is "shattered" and is out. Proceed to the staging area. Because of multiple hits, best to reduce the velocity to 220fps.
      Winning -
      Classic game winning parameters apply.

Attack and Defend
      Description -
      Played the same as the basic game. Except, one team can only defend while the other team attacks. Three words come to mind... Custers Last Stand.
      Teams -
      Two teams of equal players.
      Time -
      10 to 15 minutes is the typical time limit.
      Setup -
      Flag station needs to be defined and the defenders need to be restricted to this area. Best if flag station can be attacked from any angle. Both teams start at their designated flag station.
      Rules -
      Played like the Classic game format. Defenders cannot cross the boundry or is limited to so much distance from the flag station. If defender exceeds this limitation, the player is out. Attackers have no restricions on movement.
      Winning -
      The game ends if time is exceeded and is considered a draw. Defenders win if they tag out the attackers. The attackers win if they are able to pull the flag without being tagged out. Attackers do not need to exit the flag station to win. For added interest, upon the flag pull, attacker must not be hit for a certain amount of time or must exit the flag station area.

President's Men

Another variation is President's men. One person is the President and does not have a gun. He has 4 or 5 men around him that have to protect him for a given length of time. Or move him to a safe zone.

Predator Prey

This is an interesting game. Four predators are released into the forest to hide. Then the rest of the crew is sent in to find them. Once a predator is killed they are eliminated and have to leave. But if a Predator kills a prey, the prey player becomes a new Predator. Thus the object of the game for the Predator is to increase and proliferate, while the object for the prey is to kill all the predators. This can get to be pretty interesting, if the Prey don't have to check with a referee to become Predators. All a predator has to do is kill a few of the prey in the back of the pack and watch them open fire on their own teammates as they become predators. This can be abused, so it may be better to have the new predators check in with areferee first to be readmitted.

Run the Flag

This is another capture the flag variation. Two teams each starts with their own flag in their hands. They have to charge with their flags to the other teams base and hang it there. No need to go get the other teams flag, you (sorta) start with it. The challenge is getting there.

One or two players are prisoners and are trapped inside a base. There are a few guards outside. The prisoners can only leave from a designated entrance. The guards guard that entrance. The prisoners' friends are on the perimeter waiting to recue their friends. The prisoner's have no weapons, the guards do. The prisoners' teammates can't fire at the guards until the guards fire at the prisoners. The object is to get the prisoners out without anyone getting killed. The guards succeed if they kill anyone.

Get the Bands

Every player for himself, and each player has an arm band. When you eliminate a player you take his armband away and he dies (leaves). When time runs out the player that has the most arm bands wins.

Old War

Two teams line up in straight lines facing each other, can't move. Fire at each other. If get shot must lay down. Winning team has last players standing.

Paris Island

Paris Island in which a 5 people have to protect the flag that hangs in the center of a triangle of forts, bases, and towers. A small group hides in these and tries to protect the flag. The other larger group has to get the flag 'off the island' or out of the triangle to a safe outside location.

Players must rescue their incarcerated comrades.
      Setting Up:
      1. You will need an area for each team to start from and a POW Holding Area for each team.
      Suggested Time Limit:
      30 Minutes. The time limit can be changed to accommodate variations in field size, cover, number of players, etc.
      1. When a player is eliminated, he is sent to the opposing team's POW Holding Area. (e.g. A Blue player will go to the Red flag station/POW Holding Area.)
      2. Prisoners must stay in the POW Holding Area until one of their teammates tags them.
      3. Once a player is tagged he can rejoin the game.
      4. Each player in a POW Holding Area must be tagged to be set free.
      5. Teams may leave players behind to "guard" their POW Holding Area.
      6. All players must begin the game at their flag station (or assigned starting point) and cannot leave that area until the game begins.
      7. Players who are eliminated may not, by word or gesture, indicate any intentions or locations of the opposing team members.
      There are two ways to win the game.
      1. Have all of the opposition in your POW Holding Area before time limit expires.
      2. Have the most of the opposition in your POW Holding Area when the time limit expires.
      Tactical Advantage:
      The idea is to engage the opposition and shoot them without getting shot yourself. Hit and run type tactics would be the best. When you've whacked a few, withdraw. Keep doing this while avoiding getting any of your own players hit. Guards should be placed at the POW holding area. They should prevent POWs from being tagged. If an opponent is near a POW you should also be prepared to tag out the POW in case he is put back into the game. When tagging POWs, make it understood that only one or two will be tagged, then the other tagged in former POWs can tag in the rest. If you are a POW, be ready to IMMEDIATELY engage the opposition upon being tagged back into the game.

Welcome to the addiction, Prof :). I'm coming up on 6 years playing this Fall. My level of activity has dropped proportionally to my increase in financial responsibilities, but I still play and love it.

I think you would REALLY enjoy scenario paintball. You play less often, and its a bit of a bigger financial commitment, but it's a HECKUVAN experience each time, and the camaraderie when you play with some good folks is second to none.

Caltrop Pickle and I both play scenarioball quite a bit (both with Black Cat paintball productions). Not sure if anyother scenarioballers are in TG, though.

Games: GRAW, BF2142, Oblivion, FarCry, Empire At War, R6:RVS, KotOR, KotOR2, MW4: Mercs, FEAR (XP)

*Hiss* "Oh...crap!" *BLAM* "I'm down....MEDIC!!"

DirtyLude: "If we kill him and eat his heart, his magic will be ours."

A few of us play airsoft. We've played paintball and just found it to be a bit.....lacking. Sure, we've played woodsball, speedball, scenarios, etc.....airsoft just is more fun and hurts a heck of a lot less. Ammo is infinitely cheaper as well. The weapons look more like real steel. There is a field relatively near you too!

Anyway, have fun! That's the most important part. If you ever find yourself down in GA, hit me up and I'll take you to the airsoft field where me and my team plays. BTW, Fallosophy plays airsoft as well...

In the pursuit of... something.

Congratulations on the first time paintballing! It's really a terrific sport. I started playing paintball about four years ago, when I started with my father. And I've loved every minute of it. I usually head out to the Virginia hills and fields every weekend during the fall/summer, to a place called Hogback Mountain. A really amazing field, with the perfect terrain for some quality woodsball/speedball games. It's best quality is the people it draws, though. It gets a lot of military traffic, mostly Marines, which makes me feel nice and at home. :P And it helps rachet up the professional quality of the games. My personal favorites are the big scenario games, with at least 350 people running around. Nothing really drains you and makes you feel as acomplished as 10 hours of stratiegic paintball.

Heh, the only real drawback for me is the cost. It's painful to shell out all that money on gas and ammo, but what can ya do? Might as well spend it on something I can enjoy, right?
            Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Wow Hambergler...thanks for the scenario ideas.

Judging by first impressions alone, the Kill The Rabbit, Predator/Prey, and Frozen in Time scenarios are very intriguing. I'll definitely run this past the group the next time I play and hopefully not have so much fun that I forget what happened.
              Half the fun is posting an AAR afterwards. I had a good time writing it up as well as playing it the first time.
              |TG-9th| Prophaniti

Update: Tentatively playing again this Saturday. If that happens, I'll run Hambergler's scenario ideas past the group & see what happens.

You can expect another AAR as well.

:: goes to get the belt and syringe :: Paintball...goooooood.
                |TG-9th| Prophaniti

Speedball/airball/hyperball/snyperball/xball Whatever you want to call it is a lot of fun. Id say it got my adrenaline running the most ive ever had, its so intense and crazy. But what gun do you use? because that really matters in how well you play speed ball, you need something that can shot pretty dam fast, like 13 a second. Ive taken a break from paintbasll for a while now, and I used to ref at a local field. Great sport, but expensive, and painful if you play speedball. I rember one time i had a kid bunker me(bunker is when theres a kid hiding behind one of the bunkers, and you either jump around, and shoot him up like nothing, blind fire him like nothing around it, or just charge up to him and shoot the living hell out of him.) He had a DM4, that shoot at about 23 balls a second with ramping on, and my fat friend was in the way, ill jsut say that.
                  100 pixels height is too small people.

I used to play at this private field that these two marines owned. One was a Desert Storm vet and the other was a Vietnam vet. The old guy(Vietnam vet) you see in the picture modded real mines to spray paintball juice. The guy in the pics with paint on his face stepped on one of them. Good times.

The one he's holding in the pic is a Master Mine. They're almost unmistakeable in shape. Spoken very highly of compared to the pressure triggered kind.
                      |TG-9th| Prophaniti

Yeah, I bought a Tippmann A-5 with the flatline i've been dying to use it been waiting for some good weather and i think it's finally arrived.
                        Current member of the

Good luck with that flatline, they chop a LOT of balls.
                          100 pixels height is too small people.

Originally posted by HybridNinja View Post
                            Good luck with that flatline, they chop a LOT of balls.
                            Bah, I bought one, and after sending thousands upon thousands of balls through it, I can count the number of balls I've chopped on one hand. And that's with an A5/Flatline/E-Grip combo rockin'. Also, I've never had to disassemble the marker to clean it, even after two years of HEAVY use. Just run a squeegee through the barrel and you're golden.

I've since purchased an Ion and tried out other "High End" guns, and not a single one of them can match the reliability, ease of maintenance, or accuracy and range. I've since learned to judge "High End" by criteria other than how much like a nail gun it looks, or how bright the colors are. :row1_18:

Er, so, yeah. As far as your new purchase of the flatline, Zid, check out some FAQs and make sure you're installing it correctly. You won't be able to take it off during games, but if you put it on right and use good paint, then you'll never break a ball unless the circumstances it's operating under are beyond hairy. I'd really reccomend the A5/Flatline/E-Grip setup. It's an amazing killer good for any kind of ball, speed or woods.
                            Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Hybrid, You chrono'd it right? I too have the flatline and haven't experienced any chops.

Not saying much considering the amount of time I've used it, but still...with a case full of paint, I'd expect that if it were going to chop occasionally, it would at least do it 1/2000 times.
                              |TG-9th| Prophaniti

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed