X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia Tech Massacre

I just saw this on the news:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3045574&page=1

A shooter went on a rampage at Virginia Tech. It's confirmed that at least 31 people are dead. Students and teachers.

Any Hokies out there in TG land, Alum or enrolled?
    Last edited by Rincewind; 04-16-2007, 04:23 PM.
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: Virginia Tech Massacre

31 deaths including the shooter at this moment.
    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

I almost went to that school. Damn... what triggers these things?
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Very sad to hear about this. :(

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Yeah, I just saw this on cnn and have been making phone calls off the hook to VT trying to see if my friends are ok. I know a bunch of people that go there and I know for a fact that one of the girls I know lives in West Ambler Johnston, which is where the first shots were reported. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone effected by this tragedy.

EDIT/UPDATE:
          According to the governor and officials, the death toll has now risen to 31 plus the gunman for a total of 32. :(

Comment

In lack of words, this is a horrible tradgedy.
            --
            VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

im in a bit of shock over this. as a prof, I worry about this sort of thing. people think it will never happen here, till it does... I teach at a small upstate NY college.

what gets me is that the shootings were 2 hours apart. they knew there was a gunman on the loose, and did not cancel classes??! the second shooting killed considerably more people, and based on just the info that the shootings were 2 hours apart, seemed preventable. why on earth where people still in class after someone shot up a dorm and was still loose?

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post

what gets me is that the shootings were 2 hours apart. they knew there was a gunman on the loose, and did not cancel classes??! the second shooting killed considerably more people, and based on just the info that the shootings were 2 hours apart, seemed preventable. why on earth where people still in class after someone shot up a dorm and was still loose?
                It's amazing this could happen.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

As awful as this is. And it truly is. I am being more sickened by the media and the lengths they are going to get the story. I am hearing through the grapevine that FOX is already trolling through Facebook and Myspace to dig up reactions from the students. I even came across a link to FLICKR.com that shows pics of the campus taken by students. Nothing graphic, but is was posted within an hour of the second shooting. Welcome to the internet everyone, it only gets uglier from here.

"Remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

Comment

On a personal update, I talked to my friend Jessie who was at the dorm shooting when it happened and she said it was absolutely insane. She was crying very hard (from what I could get through her hysterics, she knew some of the victims) and managed to get away with a minor ankle sprain as everyone was fleeing. I still havent heard back from any of my other friends there, but will keep updates coming as I get word.

Also, if anyone else is trying to get through to see if someone they know is ok, the students and faculty have been told to let people know to contact the Blacksburg police department. Cell lines and land lines are in chaos from all the phone calls, but the police department is keeping an open call center just for people checks.

Comment

a creative writing class blogged the event live. while locked down in thier classroom...

what was the prof thinking... I would want all attention on the door, ready for defense...

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post
                        a creative writing class blogged the event live. while locked down in thier classroom...

what was the prof thinking... I would want all attention on the door, ready for defense...
                        That's crazy.

Ferris, glad your friend is OK!
                        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Wow, I didn't even believe what I heard at school until I got home and looked it up. This stuff almost never happens at colleges...and to have this big a number.

Thoughts and prayers go out the the victims and their families.

Comment

My cousin just graduated from their last year from the engineering program. Just horrible, not much more you can say. :(

Comment

Amazingly crazy....and extremely sad... Just confuses me about the intermission and no evacuation...Have to wait and see the fall out form all of this...

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X