? speakers: column of sound ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? speakers: column of sound ?

About ten years ago, I was flying on a commercial airliner and flipping through the product catalog that has really neat, spiffy products in it for really high, spiffy prices. Anyone who flies knows what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I distinctly remember a certain product catching my attention. It was a speaker (mono? stereo? I don't remember.) that claimed to emit audio so that it was only hearable if you were directly in front of the speaker. It claimed that people not directly in the LOS (line of sound? heh.) of the speaker would hear nothing at all. Meanwhile, the listener within LOS would hear the speaker's sound brilliantly. This is all I remember about this product and its ad.

I now have a need for such a speaker if it exists, and I expected that a quick Google search would provide me current information about it. However, both Google and Google Groups return nothing helpful when given queries like "speaker column sound" or "speaker privacy". I'm not sure what all I should be searching on. Like I said, all I remember about the product is detailed above.

Has anyone ever heard of a speaker designed to do what I've described?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: ? speakers: column of sound ?

I Searched for the catalog..skymall's audio section

Bunch of pages of stuff, but this may not be the same catalog you saw..

edit:

Nevermind, I found a real one...
    http://www.voxsys.net/09_DirectionalEn.html
    Last edited by fr1j0l3; 05-27-2004, 11:18 AM.

Comment

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/te...5-19-hss_x.htm

googlishess

Comment

Many thanks for the replies. I knew you folks wouldn't disappoint.

Hypersonic speakers.

Googling for that phrase reveals much discussion, but no retail that I can find. A search on Ebay also reveals no purchasing opportunities. Strange. Maybe they're not on the market yet, despite my memory?
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I don't see this working all too well. even if they're able to condense the sound emmision so that it doesnt disperse at the source (speaker), wouldnt it still bounce off walls and other objects and still fill the room with atleast some sound??

Comment

Originally posted by kowz0r
            I don't see this working all too well. even if they're able to condense the sound emmision so that it doesnt disperse at the source (speaker), wouldnt it still bounce off walls and other objects and still fill the room with atleast some sound??
            Walls tend to absorb sound, not bounce sound.....

unless you happen to live in an auditorium....
            Last edited by Wolfie; 05-27-2004, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
              Walls tend to absorb sound, not bounce sound.....

unless you happen to live in an auditorium....
              Actually, they do both. The frequency of the sound and the material of the walls make a huge difference as well.

Comment

Focused Sound
                Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Originally posted by GhostintheShell
                  Sounds intriguing. They mention that it's CD quality sound. Surely that can't be right. I would think that the range of sonic frequencies would be limited and, since it relies on "air" to seperate the sonic frequencies from the hypersonic carrier, the quality can't be guaranteed?
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I dunno exactly how it works. It just says that they've perfected it to cd quality sound now.

I heard this will be the bane of outdoor sporting events because you'll be able to disrupt the game with out anyone knowing who's doing it. Just like those idiots at drive in movies with laser pointers.
                    Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                    Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X