Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for in-home air filter? (dust FTL)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for in-home air filter? (dust FTL)

Anyone here have a recommendation on something I can use to get rid of dust in the air? I don't know if it's because our house was built before cars or what, but we have a LOT of dust in our place. The TV is covered in a day or two, as is every flat surface and heatsink :(

I've seen infomercials for thinks like the "Ionic Breeze", but that's... well it was on an infomercial.

Any help?

Re: Recommendations for in-home air filter? (dust FTL)

We had a Trane Cleaneffects put in. It has cut down on dust a lot although that isn't why we originally got it. http://www.trane.com/Residential/Cle...anEffects.aspx

Comment

Same here whiskey, I just moved, but this house seems to get more dusty. I hate seeing my new computer with dust all over it, luckily the front vents have removable filters I can wash. Its really annoying though. I probably will end up buying just a regular air purifier.

Comment

Changing the filters on your air conditioning/heating system will probably have the greatest effect. Make sure you're not skimping on the cheap ones, try the hypoallergenic ones out and see if they make a difference, and absolutely change them at least every month!
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I've heard good things about using various air purifiers. Also, make sure you have your A/C ducts professionally cleaned. That can make a massive difference since it's an old house. There are air conditioning companies who have all sorts of special equipment to clean the ducting so that it is dust free. Also, maybe the carpet might need to be replaced if it's really old. The pad underneath and the carpet itself can cause a ton of dust. Not to mention years upon years of disentigrating people skin, pet dander, outside dirt and such. On top of that, make sure and use a high quality air filter for your a/c intake. A few years ago, I started using those expensive $10 filters and it made a considerable difference. My ducts look like new with nary a speck of dust. Good luck.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Well we've got forced hot water (base-board) heating, so there's not filters in the heating system. And we use window A/C's in the summer, so not much to clean there either.

Nobody in the family has bad allergies or asthma, so it's really just the dust we're looking to get rid of.... and it's really just two rooms that I want dust-free: the living room (home theater stuff) and my office (computer stuff).

Comment

I have tried the expensive washable filters and they were a huge pain in the butt to wash so I went back to the cheapo filters.
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

I know theyre expensive as hell, but my parents have been using the Ionic Breeze from Sharper Image for a few years. My grandfather used to live with them until he passed and he had severe breathing problems that were aggravated by dust. After my parents got the IB's, he was having far less breathing problems than before.

Comment

I have forced air heating/cooling, but I use a BIONAIRE (older model, not shown here) in my daughter's bedroom. I know the feeling, my house is old and dusty. They have nice ones that work on demand.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I have asthma and I'm allergic to dust and stuff, so I'm pretty sensitive to stuff that's in the air. The best airfilters I've found are ones which actively draw air through the filter. I had one of those Ionic breeze units, but they just don't draw enough air to filter everything. Moreover, we're starting to see reports that these units are releasing a hazardous amount of ozone. I currently have the larger version of this: http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach...979453&sr=8-28

It's basically just a large fan with a filter in front of it--no ozone emission and no ionizing of anything. It has a UV light on the inside to kill bacteria, viruses, and mold. The linked one is for up to 200 sq foot rooms. The one I have is for up to 320. I can't find the link for it though. It's fairly cheap as far as these largerr units go. The HEPA filter is good for about a year, if you put another filter over it and vacuum that every once in a while.

I have a lot fewer upper respiratory problems with this running in my bedroom than with the Ionic breeze.

Comment

honestly, (my g/f has chronic asthma) Changing the carpets did the most for removing about 80% of our dust in our house. Our house was build in the 1920's. So theres very odd walls, doorways, and other crap that restrict airflow, and will not allow of central air. So we replaced the carpets. wala, so much less dust and less problems.
                      The soldier formerly known as, Eroak.

From the TG Primer: 2) Create an environment where there is
                      mutual respect for your fellow gamers
                      and where all members
                      would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.
                      Former TGU Dean, 3rd, 9th, & 56th IHS member.

Comment

we have hardwood floors throughout :( maybe I should try adding rugs?

Comment

Hmmm.. That I dont know of. I think it might work because the dust wont be kicked up and has a place to rest that can be cleaned later. It might. Buy a cheep rug and see how it effects the room over a month. If it works I say place in carpeting.
                          The soldier formerly known as, Eroak.

From the TG Primer: 2) Create an environment where there is
                          mutual respect for your fellow gamers
                          and where all members
                          would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.
                          Former TGU Dean, 3rd, 9th, & 56th IHS member.

Comment

Personally, there is no way I would cover up hardwood floors with carpet. Try some oriental rugs.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X