AP US History test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AP US History test

Well, since its AP its obviously going to be difficult, but i was previously under the impression that as far as AP tests go, this one was easy. Recently my brother said it was difficult and that it was the second hardest next to the AP Physics test, but admitted that he had a bad teacher. He also said that most of the kids in the top 10 of his class could only get a 4 on it. Does anyone have any experience taking this test? How difficult is it? Do they ask questions from a particular time period the most? Anything else i should know?

God. Studying 400 years of American History does not sound appealing :row__632:

Re: AP US History test

I got a 5 on it back in 2000. I found it easy. Then again, I was a history major in college my first time through. Regardless, its not an easy test for 99.9% of the populus. The DBQ's are a pain and the questions can be sketchy. No particular time period is referenced more than any other, so you pretty much have to know everything from 1690 to now. Best of luck to you on it.
    Last edited by Ferris Bueller; 05-01-2007, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Just remember this: Abraham Lincoln, President of the Galactic Confederate Union of --AMERICA-- totally pwnd all of those newbs at the movie theater AND gave women the right to vote! HE TOTALLY ROCKED!!
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I got a 5 on it. Second easiest AP test I took... the first being the AP Psychology test. I loved the DBQ, I mean for the most part, there's a formula on how and what to write, so if you do it well enough, that's an easy 9/9. I'll agree with what Ferris Bueller said about the time period references... the multiple choice can be all over there as can be the other essays. I was lucky to get a question about feminism (I had specifically focused on that during the year to call out my very conservative teacher), so I was pretty happy with the test.

If, and only if, you have the work ethic to get through the course will you have an easy experience with it. It is an AP class, so be expected to do some work. If you aren't up for it, don't do it. The ten points you get on the final grade isn't worth it if you're only making a D without it.
        --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

I got a 5 on it two years ago. Then again, I also got an 800 on the SATII. I think what really matters is the quality of your teacher and your personal interest in the material.

Study reverse-chronologically. Also, as there are very few post-1960's questions so I'd advise leaving that for once you've gone all the way back to the 1760's or so. Don't worry too much about the DBQ, which was on the American Revolution for me, because as long as you are able to interpret the materials you'll be fine on that. The real crux will be the two essays, each with two choices. There will almost always be one on something from the 19th century, I wrote on the Mexican-American war, so make sure you get that century down above all the others.

Hmm well...here's a bit more advice.

Pre-1776 = Well...not too much really...just the lead up to the revolution, who came when/first, their values...French-Indian War is the most important pre-revolution thing I could think of...
          1776s-1800 = know about revolution + law + relations with other countries (XYZ affair..etc)
          1800-1860 = know about War of 1812, Mexican-American war, manifest destiny, dates of and the presidents that expanded US territory, Various compromises between north + south and abolitionist movements
          1860-1914 = Know why the Civ War happened, why the reconstruction was a miserable disaster, Booker T Washington, Industrialization (Standard Oil, Antitrust laws, Teddy Mc.Insane Roosevelt) Gilded Age Congressional Domination
          1914-1945 =World War I and World War II, causes of Depression, migration of African Americans to cities during WWII, gangland, sensationalism, flapper culture, speakeasy culture
          1945-1980 = Freakishly calm 50's and why the were, Eisenhower's Military-Industrial Complex, Korean War, Cold War Cuban Missle Crisis, Vietnam War, Johnson's Great Society Program, Martin Luther King Jr., Watergate
          1980-Present = Regan Economics, Iran-Contra, Gulf War I, NATO Bosnia Conflict, Green Party/Environmentalism (Gaylord Nelson + co.), Sept 11th, Neoconservatism, Gulf War II, Current Iraq disaster.

Heh...I really enjoyed that test...
          -Zephyr
          You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
          We are not a single game.
          We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
          We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Oh! And you don't really need to know like the specific guns used in each war and stuff like that. The college board is more interested in seeing if you understood the fallouts and the effects of wars rather than battles.
            --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

haha 2nd hardest other than physics? nah. that'd probably be either biology or chemistry. Although from a little talk with the AP history teacher in my school supposedly there's no dbq this year. I remember last year it was about "republican motherhood" or some nonsense that i didn't remember so i just bombed the rest of the test =/.

---

Comment

I had a crappy teacher, never read the book or studied (not even for the exam), and got a 3 without any headache.

The hardest AP exam I've taken was the Computer Science AB exam (I got a 3), as it was about 70% recursion, and a good 50% of that was with 2d arrays, which we hadn't covered much in class. I'm slated to take the 2nd hardest in a couple weeks (Latin Vergil).

Physics was a fairly hard one, but with the same effort as APUSH, I pulled off a 3.

Comment

5/5...was a jog in the park back in 2000. I think we had a single class dedicated to review and that was it but I also ended up a History Major in College so you could say I was interested in history. If you know how to setup a paper correctly you should be fine.

Comment

Heh, yeah, I definitely didnt find this one nearly as hard as the AP Physics C (calc-based physics) test, or any of the other major sciences really. As far as my AP tests went, from hardest to easiest, i'd order them like this:
                    Physics C
                    Calculus BC
                    Economics (Micro and Macro)
                    Chemistry
                    Biology
                    Spanish
                    European History
                    American History
                    English
                    Psychology

My junior and senior years were rough.

Comment

I never took this test. Got a link to a similiar test so I can try to flex my muscle? I know a lot about history, at least more than most people should (hey, it's interesting.)

Comment

here you go whistler, this is the sample DBQ (data based question) that was used on the 2006 exam. I got it from the College Board site (theyre the guys that do all the ap exams and the SAT). In addition to doing 2 of these questions for the exam, theres also a large multiple choice section.
                        (must have acrobat reader to view)
                        http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_dow...us_history.pdf

Basically, for this, you take the "documents" and write a coherent essay based on the question and the information in the documents. This one doesnt look particularly hard to do, but trust me, on test day, its no cake walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post
                          Well, since its AP its obviously going to be difficult
                          Yeah, I wish that were the case. They need to make significant changes to the Calculus tests. If I can get a five after my junior year in high school, there's something wrong with it.
                          The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                          I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

More likely there's something wrong with you. ;)
                            In game handle: Steel Scion
                            sigpic

Comment

ednos, was it calc AB or BC? BC is about 2x as hard.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X