Unions?!?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unions?!?!?

I was contracted to do a job through my employer. The job was to go to CARRIER which is a big time HVAC company, and install 15 lock down doors. They are ran by unions....I think I got in to trouble with the union today, is there anyone that knows about unions, that can talk to me right now...so i can explain what is going on and see if i have anything to worry about....PLZ HELP
    Allen: Yeah, you're right.
    Monkerz: I think "that" in its self proves my intelligence greater than yours, thus joo have just been pwnt by Monkerz!

Re: Unions?!?!?

ummm...your employer is a good place to start. If you value your job and you have been working there for some time then you'd serve yourself well by dealing with whatever happened in an open and upfront manner. Nothing good can be gained by deception.

If someone in the union called you out on something I wouldn't worry too much about it. Union members tend to talk a good line but in the end they usually have less bite than bark. What did you do...
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

i was contracted by carrier HVAC to install 15 lockdown doors..all together it was a 150,000 dollor contract... the whole Carrier company is ran by unions. I was drilling this door and i got some concrete powder in my mouth when i went to the drinking fountain and spit in it. well a union stewart catches me do this and contacts my supervisor...the next thing i know...my boss is calling me and there is a threat of losing the contract and us being fined for something....im not sure....i didnt know it was illegal to spit in a fountain
      Monkerz: I think "that" in its self proves my intelligence greater than yours, thus joo have just been pwnt by Monkerz!

Comment

Originally posted by MONKERZ View Post
        i was contracted by carrier HVAC to install 15 lockdown doors..all together it was a 150,000 dollor contract... the whole Carrier company is ran by unions. I was drilling this door and i got some concrete powder in my mouth when i went to the drinking fountain and spit in it. well a union stewart catches me do this and contacts my supervisor...the next thing i know...my boss is calling me and there is a threat of losing the contract and us being fined for something....im not sure....i didnt know it was illegal to spit in a fountain
        It's not in the state of TN as far as I know.

edit: I stand corrected. It is against municipal law in Elizabethton.
        Retired 6th DB

Comment

it wasnt illegal for you to do that. If the place is run by a union they are obligated to contact a union run shop to install the doors. Unions are a thron in the american work force. Certain Federal laws might have been broken because Carrier dint hire a union run shop to do the job, i dont see how your company or boss would be in trouble.

Basically unions help other unions so their people are getting the cash. Since your company or you arent union then they dont get money for their stuff and thus they get pissed because you ulitmately do a better job and get paid for it
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Well, I had that wrong. Carrier has Union Labor. I just dont know how we are getting fined, or how I did anything wrong. I guess i will just get bitched out and fired or something tomorrow when I go in to work!

Comment

dude...don't worry...this is typical union bull****e. they are mad at you because you got the job and not some union shop like trooper says. The union has no control over who gets what contract to do labor...that's a management decision and you are caught in the middle.

Tell your story to your Supv...you didn't do anything wrong.

Give em hell...Gawd I hate unions...
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I appreciate all the help guys. Thankx again!

Comment

Let us know how this plays out. I'm curious now.
                  Retired 6th DB

Comment

Unions are awful things until you need one.
                    In game handle: Steel Scion
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                      Unions are awful things until you need one.
                      I would argue that in today's day and age you don't need a Union unless you're too lazy or uneducated to stand up for yourself.

Every time I hear about one of today's unions doing something, it simply reinforces my thoughts that they're useless machines that exist for nothing but greed. This story is no exception.
                      [squadl]
                      "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

I am in a strong union. We have contracted a very good pay raise and other benefits. Being in the Nuclear Security Industry we fall under the Law Enforcement Union here locally. A very strong union can and does fight for it's members. Being a union member has a very large amount of benefits, especially when it comes to the discipline aspect of the job.

The big thing is to be in a union that is run by it's members for the good of it's members.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Bubba you are in a police union. I find those to be completely different then the auto or civilian job unions.
                          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                          -Vulcan

Comment

I was just hired on to a non-profit group with some very close-knit ties to most of the labor unions. Yes, unions are very elitist for the very reasons that Bubba mentioned.

They get upset if non-union labor is contracted to do a job that is in direct competition with a union outfit. It goes against the whole code of what it is to be union if I understand things correctly.

Unions actually carry quite a bit of political clout. Due to their membership base, they have a lot of people who will listen and stand behind an issue "for the good of all" and so are a force to be reckoned with.

Sure, unions receive a bad wrap for that, but on the whole they aren't so bad. Usually the individual union member and the upper echelons of that same union don't really know what the other is thinking and my not even agree with each other on what is "good" for them. I know I've seen it a lot in my experience.

As for this individual incident, you weren't spitting in a water fountain...you were rinsing a harmful substance from your mouth and following the typical procedure for doing so. Just because a unioner "caught" you doing that isn't a bad thing. They were probably already on the lookout for your company to make a mistake in order to wrestle the contract away from you.
                            Explain the situation with a level head and you should have no problems. Nobody in their right mind would cancel a contract because of what you described.
                            |TG-9th| Prophaniti

Blood and Honor, The Journal of a 9th MID Soldier

Comment

OK, well i went in to work, and recieved an A** chewing for about 2 hours. The Subject was, how discussing it is to spit in someone else's refreshment station. My boss told me that if we lose the contract with Carrier he'll be very upset, But he said it in such a manor as to hint," Its the Contract or your job." So my job is pending. Ill let you know what else happens.

P.S. I was at Carrier working today ;). Should have the head-in installed tomorrow(Job Completed).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X