Moving to San Diego...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to San Diego...

So I just flew back last night from San Diego for an interview and received a job offer from the company :row__523: . Any of yall live in the SD area?

What are some good areas to live by near the edges of downtown SD?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by tau_neutrino; 05-10-2007, 12:12 PM.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Re: Moving to San Diego...

Grats!
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Comment

I have friends who live in Pacific Beach. I think its about 10-15 minutes north of the city. I was out there for a week in October and absolutely loved it. The immediate area has a small town feel but is actually pretty busy. The main strip has a ton of bars and the beach is a pretty easy walk from where they lived in the middle of the Pacific Beach.

Comment

Anywhere in San Diego is nice - great city. Man, from SA TX's to San Diego, I bet your not going miss those TX's summers!
        |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
        "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
        - Check me out on The Onion
        - I'm on the local news!

Comment

I've lived in SD forever. If you'll be working near Downtown, your best bets will be, in my highly opinionated opinion, the following:

-Downtown: If you want a highly urban, polished, yuppified downtown. I'm not a fan myself. The Gaslamp district is nice if you're into what they've got going.

-Greater Hillcrest/North Park: Where I'd live if I worked downtown and wanted a small commute. This is basically "outter" downtown SD. All sorts of cool clubs and bars of every stripe. A real mixture of younger people; where "cool" people live near downtown. More edgy and less yuppi-ish.

-The Southern Beaches: Includes Ocean Beach, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, and Bird Rock. Cool if you're a dork! Haha seriously, it's mostly college kids and people who never went to college, are too old for college, and wish that they were college kids. The bar scene is a mixture of quasi-surfer and frat boy - but there is a decent amount of variety and some "cool" places.

I've left out the more questionable areas around SD as well as Imperial Beach, which I've never been to. Point Loma might be nice for you - if a bit expensive - and Little Italy may be a better alternative to the Gaslamp if you want the downtown experience minus the high rent and tourists. From a social standpoint, you really can't go wrong; all of the places are great for transplants. PB is probably your top choice for meeting new people and hitting the bars. Plus, in PB you'll never have to drive anywhere. The beach and bars are all right there.

If you end up moving out, and feel like checking out the bars in the cool part of SD (that's North County, where I live - Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Cardiff, Leucadia), shoot me over a PM.
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
            I've lived in SD forever. If you'll be working near Downtown, your best bets will be, in my highly opinionated opinion, the following:

-Downtown: If you want a highly urban, polished, yuppified downtown. I'm not a fan myself. The Gaslamp district is nice if you're into what they've got going.

-Greater Hillcrest/North Park: Where I'd live if I worked downtown and wanted a small commute. This is basically "outter" downtown SD. All sorts of cool clubs and bars of every stripe. A real mixture of younger people; where "cool" people live near downtown. More edgy and less yuppi-ish.

-The Southern Beaches: Includes Ocean Beach, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, and Bird Rock. Cool if you're a dork! Haha seriously, it's mostly college kids and people who never went to college, are too old for college, and wish that they were college kids. The bar scene is a mixture of quasi-surfer and frat boy - but there is a decent amount of variety and some "cool" places.

I've left out the more questionable areas around SD as well as Imperial Beach, which I've never been to. Point Loma might be nice for you - if a bit expensive - and Little Italy may be a better alternative to the Gaslamp if you want the downtown experience minus the high rent and tourists. From a social standpoint, you really can't go wrong; all of the places are great for transplants. PB is probably your top choice for meeting new people and hitting the bars. Plus, in PB you'll never have to drive anywhere. The beach and bars are all right there.

If you end up moving out, and feel like checking out the bars in the cool part of SD (that's North County, where I live - Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Cardiff, Leucadia), shoot me over a PM.
            Thanks :) My workplace is next to the Gaslamp district, so I'm considering housing somewhere around there. What do you think about the Marina and East Village neighborhoods?

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Both are good - provided that you don't go too far east into the East Village. If you're going to live in Downtown, live either within walking distance to the Gaslamp or in Little Italy. Basically the Marina District in it's entirety falls into this category, but only the western part of the East Village does: from a couple blocks past Petco Part back to the Gaslamp.

Rents downtown should still be reasonable.

Edit: I broke out the engineering software (AKA MS Paint):

sdneighborhoodmap6.gif
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Go live out in La Jolla. :D

Comment

Congratulations Tau! Guess we might not see you for the next TG BBQ. :( But maybe we can come out to you instead. I LOVE San Diego!!!
                  I heart TG.
                  xoxo

~Sugar~

"Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline." ~I saw this in Zephy'rs sig and I love it.

Comment

Congrats on the new job tau !!

Ive heard SD has the best climate ever... and its year round... Im sure youll be very content out there :D
                    Dizlor

Comment

California just rocks!

Sarcoma
                      Sarcoma.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcoma View Post
                        California just rocks!

Sarcoma
                        Yeah with earthquakes, mudslides, forest fires constant traffic jams. It rocks alright
                        sigpic

Comment

Killjoy.
                          I heart TG.
                          xoxo

~Sugar~

"Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline." ~I saw this in Zephy'rs sig and I love it.

Comment

Congrats, tau. You missing future BBQs will suck, but it sounds like a great move!

San Diego > San Antonio.

:D
                            Beatnik

Comment

Hell, Anything beats working in Memphis. I've been shot at, threaten, hit by cars, and even spit on. Stay away from here.

Naw, I was born in National City, and also live in Spring Vally, Imperial Beach, Chula Vista, and La Jolla. You really need to stay way from south East Village. While I was attending Southwest Highschool(About 5 Miles east of Imperial Beach) 8 years ago, I was stabbed three times over a Graphic Calculator. How retarded is that? I didn't like Spring Valley(Too Hot). I think the only real good places to live in SD would be La Jolla, Big Bear, Imperial Beach, and Coronado Shores. These are just my Favs and was not considering were your job was located. ;)
                              Allen: Yeah, you're right.
                              Monkerz: I think "that" in its self proves my intelligence greater than yours, thus joo have just been pwnt by Monkerz!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X