Yay, CHASE. Boo, criminals!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay, CHASE. Boo, criminals!

My wife got a phone call today from the CHASE debit card fraud department regarding 'activity' on my debit card account.

Apparently, today at about 11:30 CST, someone tried to purchase ~$500.00 worth of flowers from www.ftd.com with my debit card number (a little less than $500--I'm sure to eek under the $500 individual withdraw limit set on some debit cards). CHASE automatically denied the charge based on my historical account activity; i.e. I've never used my ATM card to purchase online--ever (and neither should you).

So, someone out there had my card number and tried (and failed) to order a bunch of flowers. And the timing says a lot about the person too. They used a stolen CC# to purchase Mothers Day flowers LATE. What a scumbag. I bet their mom/wife/domestic partner would be disappointed. If they aren't already...

So I have to commend JP Morgan CHASE for being on top of their stuff. I'm glad they called me, and I'm doubly glad that they denied the charge before it was even debited from my account. Now I just have to watch all of my accounts and keep an extra eye out for suspicious flower purchases.
    Last edited by Rincewind; 05-14-2007, 06:09 PM.
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: Yay, CHASE. Boo, criminals!

Wait, I'm confused. Was "Chris" the one who tried to use your card? Or, was he a Chase employee who had called to notify you that someone tried buy stuff with it?

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
      Wait, I'm confused. Was "Chris" the one who tried to use your card? Or, was he a Chase employee who had called to notify you that someone tried buy stuff with it?
      Turns out Chris was part of the fraud department. I got the same guy after I was transfered :) I was just being overly cautious by not cooperating with Chris when I called him back and he asked for my CC#.

But I took out all of the superfluous stuff anyway :)
      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Wow, shocking. Very shocking.

Any clue how the "thief" got ahold of your debit card number? (It me help me out too)
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Another good idea, if you do make online purchases, is to contact your bank about "safe numbers". Basically, these are one-time use credit card numbers that are tied to your bank account/credit card specifically for online purchases. That way, if anyone ever gets said number and tries to use it, it's automatically denied because it's already been used. You never have to use your real card number at all. This is how I make ALL of my online purchases (with the notable exception of my SM here).

Comment

probably was going to resell the flowers for cash at some roadside stand. but pretty dumb really.

Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough! Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Well, that's one good thing about Chase I suppose...

<= Ex-Chase employee who is biased against the company.

Not for the Glory. Not for the Honor. For the Team.

Comment

chase stopped me from buying a video card on line once. like somehow that was not "normal" to buy a 400$ vid card. I ended up rethinking the purchase and went with a less cutting edge model. :)

Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough! Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
                  I've never used my ATM card to purchase online--ever (and neither should you).
                  Why? I'd say that 75% of my non-grocery purchases are done online with my debit card.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
                    I've never used my ATM card to purchase online--ever (and neither should you).
                    Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                    Why? I'd say that 75% of my non-grocery purchases are done online with my debit card.

Debit cards do not have the same protections as Credit Cards, generally. My debit card was lost/stolen and somebody ran up about $125 worth of gasoline charges in a couple of days. There was also a couple of small charges too fast food places I never visit.

First that money is gone from your account. You don't get it back until you can prove, and the bank backing the card agrees, that they where fraudulent charges. This, of course, can be a horrible thing if you have bills due. And the process can take weeks or months.

Second the bank backing the Debit card does not have as much incentive to refund the money. After all it is not their money we are talking about, it is yours. The bank I use also told me that with a credit card there are laws/tax codes/insurance (something) that allows the credit card company to write off the fraudulent amount easier or with less cost to themselves.

In fact they, for some reason, refused to refund the fast food charges on my debit card. I didn't fight it because it was only around 8 bucks. Still sucks. Especially since it their policy to not to ask for ID or even a signature for transactions under 50 dollars or so.
                    Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Wow...sounds like you need a new bank! I use Bank of America for my stuff, and all I have to do is report my card stolen, tell them what time it was stolen/lost at and no charges after that are take out against me. If someone does manage to steal it and make purchases between the time it's stolen and the time I report it, the money is refunded to me within 24 hours, regardless of the transaction or amount, while the bank contacts the police and has the charges investigated. This usually entails a police officer coming to my house to compare me to a still frame from a surveillance camera, but its a minimal hassle for making sure I ALWAYS have my money.

Now, if their investigation yielded that I was trying to defraud the bank by making charges myself and then reporting it stolen, they automatically withdraw the money back from my account, close the remainder of the account and notify the police that theyre pressing fraud charges. But seeing as I'm not stupid or broke enough to do that kinda thing, its not a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                        Debit cards do not have the same protections as Credit Cards, generally.
                        Legally, they have exactly the same protections. You might be right about the level of service that you get at a crappy bank, but I know that my debit card with the VISA logo gets the same guarantees as your credit card with the VISA logo (except I'm earning interest, while you're paying interest!). But I see what you're saying about the nature of YOUR money being stolen, vs. the nature of some bank's money being stolen.

I'm not sure if it's VISA or my bank, but I'll have up to $2,500.00 deposited in my bank account by the next day if my card is used by someone else without my permission, regardless of whether or not I've reported it stolen. Seeing as how I don't ever keep that much money in my checking account (well, for more than a week or so...), that works just fine for me.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

No idea how they got my number, but it wasn't from online transactions. So my guess is some employee of a business local to me. I put groceries, gas, and the occasional eatery purchase on my ATM card. I also use it to get cash back at stores and at ATM's

And El Gringo's reasons are why I don't shop with my debit card online. Mainly because it's attached to my bank account. It's the same reason I don't have a PayPal account associated with my main checking account--it's attached to your money depository! (PP is the subject of a whole different thread though :) )

And banks are notoriously unhelpful for refunding unauthorized purchases made through your AMT/bank issued credit card. So I was surprised and thankful CHASE didn't authorize the flower binge.

Ferris, I get 'safe numbers' for online purchases through my credit card. It's awesome to have them available.

Cing, as for earning interest on checking accounts: the best I've ever had was ~3% in a credit union, with a ~5% savings account at the same CU. And these were accounts tied to my parents who had a lot of money on deposit in CD's, so I wouldn't have qualified for that on my own.

You generally never earn enough interest in a checking account to beat inflation (unless you have a large sum of money on deposit or a large line of credit). In fact, your money loses value over time in a checking/saving account even with the meager interest most banks offer. And if you pay your credit cards off at the end of the month, you never have to pay interest on them (and you can get free stuff). Add the element of not putting a number out there that is directly tied to my bank account the CC will always win.

Who do you bank with, Null? The only reason I have a CHASE account is because of the incentives I get there through my employer.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X