Rifle advice - plinking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle advice - plinking

I am thinking about purchasing a .22 or maybe two, one for me and one for my 7 year old son. We would just use them for plinking/target shooting in my parents backyard.

I am considering a Ruger 10/22 carbine ($189), Remington Model 5 22/22LR ($158), and a Rossi Triple Threat 22/22LR/410 ($139). I am really leaning toward the Ruger - later down the road this year, maybe even a Mini-14 Ranch down the road.

Any thoughts? Are there any other alternate calibers we might like?
    sigpic

Re: Rifle advice - plinking

I myself started out with a pellet/bb gun. I didn't fire my first 22 until I was 12. By 14, I had my own 20-gauge shotgun and had taken the hunter-safety courses to not only know how my weapon operated, but respected the damage it could cause as well.

That experience has made me a very responsible gun-owner.
    |TG-9th| Prophaniti

Blood and Honor, The Journal of a 9th MID Soldier

Comment

.22 is a great caliber to start off. Not only is it just fun and CHEAP to shoot, you can start teaching gun saftey to your kids. Nothing wrong with the rugers, great guns and plenty of after market parts to have fun with.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Prophaniti View Post
        I myself started out with a pellet/bb gun. I didn't fire my first 22 until I was 12. By 14, I had my own 20-gauge shotgun and had taken the hunter-safety courses to not only know how my weapon operated, but respected the damage it could cause as well.

That experience has made me a very responsible gun-owner.
        We've got a BB/Pellet gun - Classic Daisy Powerline like I had 20 years ago. I myself have NEVER actually owned a gun - but used other peoples a lot.
        sigpic

Comment

Interesting - the Rossi has a 'Taurus Security System'. It can be loaded but unfireable if you don't have the 'key'. The 'key' locks the hammer in a closed position - but you can still do everything else with it.. clean it, change barrels, load it, un-safety it... but it is pretty much 'locked'.
          sigpic

Comment

OK - I am so impulsive sometimes.. I bought a Rossi Match set 22/410. But I am going to guy another next week so.. keep it coming..
            sigpic

Comment

I've had a 10/22 for years. It is a really great plinking gun.

The time for calm and rational discussion has passed. Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Comment

Originally posted by E0_ View Post
                I've had a 10/22 for years. It is a really great plinking gun.
                I'll probably spring for that next weekend.. guy at the shop saw me looking at the 10/22 and the Rossi... he said the same thing about the Ruger.

I thought it was a 'little' to big for 'Grenado' to enjoy.. and the Rossi's were on sale, ending tomorrow... they were changing the tags while I was there.
                sigpic

Comment

Here's a list of youth rifles that I was considering getting for my seven year old son, but I think the 10/22 might be the way to go...

Henry MiniBolt

Savage Cub

Marlin 915

CZ 452 Scout

Chipmunk

Crickett

I'm just afraid that getting a youth rifle will mean it gets used for only a couple of years before he outgrows it, while a 10/22 would last him a lifetime...
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Have you taken a look into the .17 caliber rimfires?

Comment

Take a look at the Henry lever action 22s also.

The time for calm and rational discussion has passed. Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Comment

i own one of those. great gun with a nice western feel to it.
                        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                        -Vulcan

Comment

i have a Ruger 10/22 with a thirty round banana clip :D, it's one of the most fun gun's i have ever shot. but if your just looking into Plinking, get a handgun. Currently i have a Ruger P89 9mm, a Para Ordinance .45 ACP (used in law enforcement by many higher level agency's) and a little Phoenix .22 pea shooter. the .45 ACP is a BIG gun, but it's more of my protection gun then my fun gun, if i had one to recomend it would be the Ruger P89

i own the KP89 model: http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdResu...es&type=Pistol

it may be alot for a seven year old but you would find alot of enjoyment in it i think. something he would be more interested in......

http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdResu...&type=Revolver

all of those are Single action .22 Revolvers. i've been looking into getting one for a while it shoots two different rounds the 22 Magnum, and the 22LR (standard 22 shell)

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                            Have you taken a look into the .17 caliber rimfires?
                            No - haven't thought much about those. I think the SG store I was at only had 1 type in .17

I think I saw one of those, I'll take a look at it.

@Sticky Jeans - nahh - handguns are out for this purpose. Maybe a ways down the road.

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                            I'm just afraid that getting a youth rifle will mean it gets used for only a couple of years before he outgrows it, while a 10/22 would last him a lifetime...
                            I'm not too worried about that if he is comfortable with it. It is one reason I keep getting back to the Rossi - it is sized in between a regular and a youth rifle.

I think if the Rossi is still too big for him, I'll look into the Crickett - they have them at Wal-Mart for $89.. if he out grows it, he's got a cousin growing up right behind him that he'd pass it along to.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hi, P8riot. Every marksman should have a .22 LR rifle, in my opinion. My advice for a good plinker is the following:

If you want to get the Jeep of semi-auto .22s, get a Ruger 10/22. It and its ammo are inexpensive, you can enjoy the basic rifle for a lifetime, and if you want to trick it out later you have plenty of options. I shoot my 10/22 more than any other gun I own.

If you want to spend a little more, get a Thompson/Center R-55 Classic. Real blued steel; real walnut stock; my dad has one of these and it is a real pleasure to shoot.

It sounds like you may get a .223 rifle later on down the road. Would this be for plinking only, or would you want to get more accuracy out of it at some point?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X