Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Children of Men-

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Children of Men-

    So I saw Children of Men the other night. Great fín flick that provides you with a future glimpse of how crummy the world could be if people arenít careful about the choices we make today. The main premise to the movie is a world with no children. The movie doesnít go into detail about why or how. The plot mainly revolves around the desperation of humanity in future England with subthemes involving factions/idealists/terrorist.

    The movie was very intense at times, in fact one of my favorite scenes was during the battle at the refugee camp- intense urban warfare setting. It was chaotic- but at some point, for a few minutes time stops and it was awesome how the director and cast used this moment (at the risk of spoilers I wonít go into details). The movie wasnít as dark and dreary as the ď1984Ē movie, but the tone was very similar: helplessness and deep sadness throughout all society. The story was extreme and farfetched; however the director made the film in such a way that it made me think what if something like this does happen? Is it really that farfetched to think that it couldnít happen? In the end, I was drained and felt nervous about the possibilities. Iíve told a few people this already, the best way to describe the movie is that it was good- in a depressing Schidlerís List kind of way.
    .

  • #2
    Re: Children of Men-

    Originally posted by NorCalRoach View Post
    The movie was very intense at times, in fact one of my favorite scenes was during the battle at the refugee camp- intense urban warfare setting. It was chaotic- but at some point, for a few minutes time stops and it was awesome how the director and cast used this moment (at the risk of spoilers I wonít go into details).
    That has to be one of the most memorable moments of any movie I've seen.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Children of Men-

      I second Apophis.

      I bought this movie and have been lending it out to friends to make sure that they see it.
      Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

      Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Children of Men-

        Yeah, it's a fantastic movie. The most frightening thing about that movie is how plausible they made that future appear to be. By the end of the movie you really did wonder if that could happen...and soon.
        | | |

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Children of Men-

          im sorry but i thought it suckd. The acting wasnt bad it was just way to long. And it never really ended, just fogged over. Had some interesting points and ideas but over all was pissed i rented it.
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Children of Men-

            109 mins is way too long? The ending was appropriate...the entire movie was based on what the main character was seeing/experiencing. Thus its appropriate that the movie ended where it did based on the X event that happened involving him. For those who needed some type of story conclusion it was there in a way...listen carefully right as the movie ends....it gives ya the indication on what happens afterwards.


            (yes I loved it)
            |TG-12th|mantis

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Children of Men-

              Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
              109 mins is way too long?
              For someone who has nearly 7000 posts of three words or less. :row__642:
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Children of Men-

                Originally posted by asch View Post
                For someone who has nearly 7000 posts of three words or less. :row__642:

                ouch, that hurt


                Originally posted by Mantis
                109 mins is way too long? The ending was appropriate...the entire movie was based on what the main character was seeing/experiencing. Thus its appropriate that the movie ended where it did based on the X event that happened involving him. For those who needed some type of story conclusion it was there in a way...listen carefully right as the movie ends....it gives ya the indication on what happens afterwards.
                Thats all the longer it was? Holy cow it just seemd longer.
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Children of Men-

                  That one scene yall are referring to is easily the most memorable scene of any movie ive ever seen. That was just incredible.

                  *spoiler warning*

                  I loved the old hippy guy. I think i was the only one in the theater laughing when he died.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Children of Men-

                    Originally posted by Santa View Post
                    ...I loved the old hippy guy....
                    Pull my finger Santa lol. He was one of my favorite characters as well- his whole speech about chance and destiny was deep- in a whacky tabbaccy kind of way. A buddy just told me if I watch the movie again to pay attention to the advertising through out the cities and on tv. According to my buddy, with exception to the suicide kit ads, the majority of the ads you'll find are for pet accessories. Generally speaking couples raise pets when they don't want/can't have kids so it made sense- I just didn't catch it.

                    Oh and Trooper- you're right about it dragging in some parts.
                    .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Children of Men-

                      I liked the movie much MORE than I appreciated the book, which is kinda weird. Usually its the opposite. Needless to say, though there were some pretty intense scenes, I didn't enjoy this movie too much either. The premise of not being able to reproduce offspring was the same, but events from the book were left out of the movie which I thought were important. Michael Cain was annoying, and I too thought the ending was pretty lame. I may have to rewatch this though if many of you thin khighly of it. Maybe I'll find something more appreciative in it the 2nd time around.
                      |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                      [squadl] [sniper][unit]


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Children of Men-

                        Originally posted by B. Clawhammer View Post
                        I liked the movie much MORE than I appreciated the book, which is kinda weird. Usually its the opposite. Needless to say, though there were some pretty intense scenes, I didn't enjoy this movie too much either. The premise of not being able to reproduce offspring was the same, but events from the book were left out of the movie which I thought were important. Michael Cain was annoying, and I too thought the ending was pretty lame. I may have to rewatch this though if many of you thin khighly of it. Maybe I'll find something more appreciative in it the 2nd time around.
                        Here's a suggestion for you Claw- try watching a movie sober, you get more out of it ;)...just kidding bro.
                        .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Children of Men-

                          I enjoyed the fact the film had guts. It didn't feel compelled to protect the lives of any characters just because of their actors. I also enjoyed the excellent one-long-shot street battle scene (who noticed the sneaky way they cleaned the lens the first time through? :D) but overall I felt rather neutral about the film. I didn't not like it, and besides the two attributes above, I didn't like it either. I think that's because it was on a rail. Everything that the heros do is laid out on a straight path...it felt like a bad video game plot. They never chose between altrenate methods to attain their goals. Of course, a film can only take one course, but it feels more real when people choose a plan, rather than complete one stage to receive their next scene's deus-ex-machina-esque goal. Even HL2 gave you the illuision of not needing to ZPEG your way through Ravenholm.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Children of Men-

                            I loved this movie! Yeah that long scene where they never cut away at the end of the movie was brilliant. You never really see that in movies much. I think the ending was as it should have been. They never explained why the world had gone sterile, so it's fitting they never explain what became of the pregnant girl and if she solved the world's procreation crisis.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Children of Men-

                              The long shots (periods of time) really added to the overall feel of the movie. Made the next one I watched feel all chopped up.
                              |TG-6th|Snooggums

                              Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X