I can't take the heat anymore!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't take the heat anymore!

So, another day and night of boredom! (Warning: long post and some complaining)

Aw, but it's like a oven in here. Here goes the story...

I woke up this morning to a nice 70F temperature with a nice breeze. It was nice and sunny, got up to around 85F. Of course it's almost 11 pm here, and it's 70F outside my house. The living room, kitchen, bathroom, basement, and such is nice and comfy at around 65F. My bedroom, with its stuck-shut-can't-pry-open-window is hovering around 80F. The bedroom that stores the family's perphoria of computer desktops, printers, flourescent bulbs, hub, network and such is hovering at about 85F. This, surprisingly, is with my window mostly open, and a fan sucking in "cooler" air from the outside.

I know for a fact my computer's CPU temp is registering at around 50C/120F and my mobo temp is around 36C/96C with all of the 8 fans running at full speed. So it's acting somewhat like a heater. None of the other systems are running.

To make things worse, my pentium starts throttling back during some intense battles on the conquest server (2142) and the ASUS Probe has registered spikes at around 61C with a mean average of about 60C during gaming.

So, all in all, I'm sitting in a oven-of-a-room blabbing on about how hot it is where I'm sitting right now typing up this post.

"How do I cool down my hot system and room?" has been on my mind the entire past few days. I don't think I can survive once the outside reaches summertime temps of 95F and the inside of this room becomes a sweltering 103F again.

Oh yes, air conditioning you say? Well, parents have not put on the window A/C units the past two summers due to the enormous electricity bills.

Can I cool my room's air down with a nitrogen slabs and a table fan? Or maybe, I should pass out intentionally this summer to force my parents to turn on the A/C? Or maybe I could bribe them? (but with what?) Or maybe I should move to Antarctica?

Oh, it's too hot in here! Now I must go to bed, where it is just about as bad. *sigh*
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: I can't take the heat anymore!

Put a giant heatsync on your door and the side of your house where your room is.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I have a house in (cold, wet) Scotland available for house-swap any time you'd like.
      7Shades

How sweet, thought lifeless, yet with life to lie,
      And, without dying, O how sweet to die!
      - from Thomas Warton's "Ode to Sleep"

Comment

Amazon is your friend:

SF609R Portable Swamp Cooler - SF609R Evaporative Cooler - Price: $94.00

FH-776T Fujitronic Portable Swamp Cooler - Price: $94.99

(Unless you want to move here to Iceland where it is is 41F/5C here today!)
        LoyalGuard

Comment

Originally posted by 7ShadesOSin View Post
          I have a house in (cold, wet) Scotland available for house-swap any time you'd like.
          There's not enough Scots at TG. Whereabouts in Scotland are you?

It was raining earlier today but the sun is starting to push through the clouds now. I wish it was a bit warmer though!

Comment

Oooh! even better (i.e. cheaper):

Make your own air conditioner
            from Lifehacker

DIY cheapest air conditioner in the world
            from Makezine
            LoyalGuard

Comment

He he, the weather in germany is a little bit too hot either. And student dorms don't come with an A/C if they were build in the sixties. ^^

First thing I did was to open my PC case and put a ventilator near to it. Keeps my PC at stable temp even during gaming sessions, not to mention the nice feeling I get from the cold air flowing over my feets&legs.
              There is thought and there is action. Do not confuse the two. When the time comes to act, your thought must already be complete. There will be no room for it when the action begins.
              Quellcrist Falconer.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                Can I cool my room's air down with a nitrogen slabs and a table fan? Or maybe, I should pass out intentionally this summer to force my parents to turn on the A/C?
                I actually worked with a guy who picked up some dry ice because we had to ship some food to Italy. He called the office talking about how bad he was feeling, light headed, sick to his stomach, dizzy. Someone asked him if he had his windows down..... no he did not. He was suffocating himself because he did not realize that the dry ice melting was filling the car with CO2.
                Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

I didn't think about the release of CO2.

Err, the swamp coolers aren't for me. It's Chicago, it's dry heat most of the time. So having a swamp cooler won't help me.

But, I will try that DIY A/C unit. :D I think I'll start with the bottles of frozen water in front of my table fan, first. :row__642:

And thanks for the neat and interesting information, +1! :row__593:
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Err, the swamp coolers aren't for me. It's Chicago, it's dry heat most of the time. So having a swamp cooler won't help me.
                    Actually, swamp coolers only work well in dry heat. Evaporative cooling doesn't work very well humid environments! :icon_cool

Comment

Oh... I thought the whole idea of evaporative cooling was to "suck" the humidity out of humid moist environments?

And ironic enough, the entire day today has been very cool, almost cold. Go figure.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Lets not talk about heat. I work in a greenhouse. Day starts out at 65degrees but by lunch its 85 outside and 110 inside, good luck.
                        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                        -Vulcan

Comment

:row__635:

110F! Holy friggin' cow!

Summer is almost on top of us, btw. So I'm already getting worried about the heat in this room becoming a serious problem to my hardware and to my health. I can't imagine what it is like for poor Trooper in his greenhouse. Eek!
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Oh... I thought the whole idea of evaporative cooling was to "suck" the humidity out of humid moist environments?
                            Nope. Think about how cool you feel when you put a wet bandana around your neck and a breeze blows on it. That's the concept. As the dry breeze evaporates the water, the temperature is lowered. If the air is already humid, then the effect is less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooling
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

:row__635:

110F! Holy friggin' cow!

Summer is almost on top of us, btw. So I'm already getting worried about the heat in this room becoming a serious problem to my hardware and to my health. I can't imagine what it is like for poor Trooper in his greenhouse. Eek!
                              Well if you want to know what it is like in a greenhouse come to AZ. It's already 100f which at this time of year is pretty mild. Next week it will be 105f and it will soon be 115f on a regular basis. Then you will know what it is like to be in a greenhouse.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X