World of Warcraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World of Warcraft

Hello, my name is Warmonger, and I'm a WoWaholic.

I finally bit the bullet a couple weeks back and decided to start playing WoW after years of resisting it. I've always wanted to try it out, but purposely avoided it due to school and work. Now I'm finished with college and only have work and no wife to keep me from the computer. This is a bad combination. I'm brand new to the game, but am pretty addicted. I still eat and go out with friends and all, but when my friends want to keep drinking late into the night, I feel my time would be better spent leveling up my warrior or something. So I'll split to spend time in Azeroth. Is this bad? Are any of you addicts, or is this Warcraft noobish obsession just a passing phase?
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: World of Warcraft

If you want addiction and a real game try eve-online. WoW is a cult, just ask them. Im sorry to hear you have gotten wrapped up in it and i hope you can find a way out.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I'm waiting for Age of Conan (perhaps as well as Rome Rising) to start my MMO obsession. I've also been looking at LOTR. Too many MMO's!

WOW doesn't really appeal to me, as it's a bit too cartoonish for my tastes but you can't argue with success as they have millions of players hooked.
      |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
      "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
      - Check me out on The Onion
      - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
        If you want addiction and a real game try eve-online. WoW is a cult, just ask them. Im sorry to hear you have gotten wrapped up in it and i hope you can find a way out.
        isnt eve online about making a buisness? i herd it was massivly boring
        lTG-6thlMavrok

Comment

Originally posted by Mavrok View Post
          isnt eve online about making a buisness? i herd it was massivly boring

well consider this. Eve online has 32k players all on one massive server universe. Its really the only actual true MMO. Politics, economy and SPace all effect each other. Join the 14 day trail and see what you think. You can do anything you want within the rules of the game. Piracy, diplomacy and Scamming are all everyday game play.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Eve is a grown-up's MMORPG. (I play WoW because family and friends do, but the siren song of my smart friends selling the wonders of Eve is calling.)
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
              Eve is a grown-up's MMORPG. (I play WoW because family and friends do, but the siren song of my smart friends selling the wonders of Eve is calling.)

o yeah totally, i think they did a survey awhile back and teh average EVE online players is like 29ish.
              -Vulcan

Comment

I heard that Eve used to be super cool, but they keep making patches that make it harder and harder to reach some of your goals. Maybe that keeps some people going, but that would just frustrate me. I bet it's a good game either way, so I better not start that too. I'm bad enough with WoW. I actually hope it'll be several years before a Starcraft MMO comes out, because if it comes out too soon, I'm gonna go into nerd overload and probably lose my job and everything I hold dear. Hasn't some guy died from playing WoW to much, because he didn't eat for days?

Comment

It was a South Korean and I think it was more from exaustion than malnutrition. You CAN go 7 days without food after all.

Eve Online is like Second Life...in space. Basically its a truely Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game where you take something like Elder Scrolls Oblivion and throw it into space with complete freedom of choice and activity. Graphics are better than Second Life, but you won't get paid for playing it. ;)

On the flip side World of Warcraft is the spirtual successor of Evercrack. It takes your standard RPG game (leveling, item progression, boss fights) and blows it up into the Massively Multiplayer world.

If you're looking for RPGish gameplay similar to single player RPG games on consoles then WoW will be right up your alley. If you utterly hate RPG games then you might get drawn in for the social and achievement aspects, but you won't become a true addict. If you want a game where you can pretty much do work for fun, then give Eve a shot. It is more 'realistic' when compared to other MMORPGs and could take a bit more gray matter to get into. Of course the greater the hardship the greater the reward so I hear being successful in Eve provides more of a rush and feeling of accomplishment than being successful in WoW.

Hop over to the TG-WoW boards and say hi. We're a pretty friendly bunch...even if a few of them never leave the safety of those boards for fear of Bommando's rockets, Jmj's neighbor, or some such thing.
                  My sanity is not in question...
                  It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Speaking of getting paid to play:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/visa/

Do I get frequent flyer miles when I ride a gryphon?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
                      Hop over to the TG-WoW boards and say hi. We're a pretty friendly bunch...even if a few of them never leave the safety of those boards for fear of Bommando's rockets, Jmj's neighbor, or some such thing.
                      I'm suspecting JMJ's neighbor is a WoW player. :icon16:

(Have you seen how high those weeds are in Elwynn Forest?!)

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                        I'm suspecting JMJ's neighbor is a WoW player. :icon16:

(Have you seen how high those weeds are in Elwynn Forest?!)
                        Lol. Good reference!

Comment

I'd feel remiss if I didn't recommend Lord of the Rings Online to you. We have a decent cadre of Tactical Gamers playing the game. To me, the in-game experience is much nicer than WoW.
                          ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                          No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
                            I'd feel remiss if I didn't recommend Lord of the Rings Online to you. We have a decent cadre of Tactical Gamers playing the game. To me, the in-game experience is much nicer than WoW.
                            It does look pretty sweet. But only one thing at a time for me. I can't handle any more right now, or my brain is going to explode with nerdy goodness.

Comment

All three games are good in their own right (aww, I'm being diplomatic..), but provide different experiences.

Wow, is pretty much instant gratification up to the level cap. The end game raids take immense teamwork, which is undoubtedly engaging but are very time consuming. PvP reminds me of battlefield.

LOTRO is a fun, more casual experience (doesn't feel as much of a grind as WoW). The storyline drives the game, and is good. Combat is a little more tactically diverse than WoW (imho), but there is less of the game there at the moment. PvP only exists against a second character you create which is an evil monster. It's fun, but you'll never really get to test your character against other characters.

Eve is much harder in some ways. The game only gives you minimal content. The rest is up to you. Some people don't get it. If you get past the learning curve and develop a plan (hopefully ambitious) for your life in the world, it becomes a completely different experience. The PVP in eve is the best out there, imo. I get an adrenaline rush almost everytime I get into combat. PVP is also not restricted to combat, with economic/logistic conflict playing a huge part.

There are TG organizations in all three games, which I'm sure will provide the usual elevated play experience and some help to the newer players.
                              Do or do not, there is no try....
                              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...