Coming soon to a game near you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming soon to a game near you?

Hoooooooolyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyycraaaaaaaaaaap.

http://gameplanets.blogspot.com/2007...mulations.html

Re: Coming soon to a game near you?

Holy Computing Power Batman!

This is awesome!

Found that link in the comments.

Great find!

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Simply amazing...and exciting! Makes me think there's still a fun future for this technology.
      Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

It doesn't look like it'll be implemented in games just yet. Wait a few years for the nVidia GeForce 88000, which will have no trouble.
        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Looks purdy, but Siggraph means it's on Linux which means it's not on a computer game ever because only Microsoft Trusted Gaming will be allowed in the future (which is when MS patents all electronic representations of 0 and 1) and I doubt any of that is real-time rendered this decade. If it is I will clap once in honor of efficient coding.

At this moment the Audience is preparing to key a reply about how of course this can't be done right now but someday... to which I precognitively respond that until games figure out how to handle a middle-managing AI -- something that can make the player avatar behave naturally without input and thus handle things like balancing on uneven terrain, objects, be able to be knocked down by bullets and scramble back to its feet in a natural and smoothly-animated way -- all this physics stuff is eye candy and wankery. Recent investigations into gravity grenades shows that for all of HL2's OMG HAWT physics, it still can't handle simple bursts of momentum on a player's avatar, at least without a scratch-coded implementation mod.

Comment

Not to sound pessimistic...but...

I'm not all too impressed. To be honest, the fire looked like crapppp.
            Skud

Comment

The comparison is between that fire and Half-Life 2 fire. It looks damn awesome.
              The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
              I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
              Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

well, that may be true...but nobody else thinks this all looks...like too much? When, in the future, will the players be looking at little flames like this?
                Skud

Comment

Love fire effects, for games of burning wrecks would be sweet.. and the water for swimming games.. and yeah Looks like the HL2 fire

Comment

These flames in future games won't be the focus of the screen because of the "cool factor". Ideally, they'd essentially just be another prop on the stage, a minor detail to enhance the feel of realism.
                    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I think it could do more than enhance the feel of realism. I think interesting new puzzles could be created if you had water that acted realistically as supposed to the crap they have now...

Comment

The glass of water was amazing. I'd give it a couple of years, but we will probably see this quality of graphics within 10 years. I wonder if these demos utilized one of those physics accelerator cards.
                        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

ya that looks very good but it will prolly take another new video card to take full advantage of the new software.... and if you read apophis's artical on the front page Phyx's has the card just for it :P

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                            well, that may be true...but nobody else thinks this all looks...like too much? When, in the future, will the players be looking at little flames like this?
                            Truly? What about when players are equipped with flamethrowers (as they have been in the past) and set about igniting their fellow gamers on fire? With a pinch of imagination, this one effect alone - and it is just an effect, after all, that can be scaled up or down - could go a long, looong way in gaming circles. Muhahaha!! :icon26:
                            sigpic

Comment

Just imagine how much MORE fun Halo would've been if the flamethrower looked real!
                              Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X