Buying a truck, need sound advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a truck, need sound advice.

I'm looking for a Quad (Double) Cab, 4x4 v6 or v8. Preferably not a full sized truck (wife thinks it's too "big" for her to handle).

Suggestions? We've been looking at used and shooting for 05 under $20k, but I've been hearing from some of my relatives who worked at dealers to buy new (won't have replacement parts that are cheap so they can move the vehicle off the lot, better APR with loan). We want the truck to last us a solid 10 years before we decide to replace it. I'd rather not drop more then $30k on a new vehicle (include all the tax/fees/etc). Can't pay it all in cash, but we can probably put down about 1/4 of the cost of the truck. We've been looking and price matching but I just don't have any real outside opinions regarding durability, longevity, etc. I'm not even sure if I want to buy new or used (I'm not completely clear on all the pros vs cons).

What do you guys say on different makes and models?
    USAR

Re: Buying a truck, need sound advice.

Well, this thread can turn ugly quick due to people screaming Fords are the best or Dodges are the best. I've been in a lot of trucks, and honestly one of the best ones I've seen is the Nismo edition Nissan Frontier. They're rugged, pretty capable, and not too big at all. I was also seriously impressed with the Chevrolet Colorado. They look small, but they are surprisingly roomy inside. They have a 5 cylinder motor which has good enough power and good fuel economy. Cheap too. Actually, I think pretty much every truck maker might have something for you. Dodge has the Dakota, Toyota has the Tacoma, Mitsubishi has one again, etc., etc.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

What will you be using the truck for? That would be the first thing I would get answered. Towing, off roading, moving lots of gear? From what you are saying I would look into the Honda Ridgeline.

Looks like that would qualify for everything you have asked for. The Ridgeline has some really slick features and should last you for a long time. JMHO
      sigpic

Comment

I have a Toyota Tundra and love it. I would totally recommend going with a Tacoma or a Tundra.

Last I looked the Ridgeline was very expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid View Post
          What will you be using the truck for? That would be the first thing I would get answered. Towing, off roading, moving lots of gear? From what you are saying I would look into the Honda Ridgeline.

Looks like that would qualify for everything you have asked for. The Ridgeline has some really slick features and should last you for a long time. JMHO
          I was looking really hard at the Ridgeline but ended up going against it. I didn't feel confident that the truck could carry any sort of decent capacity without damaging the under-bed compartment nor was I confident with its towing capacity being as light as it was.

I ended up getting a Dodge RAM 1500 SLT quad cab.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Like Jonan, I would go with the Toyota Tacoma or Toyota Tundra. If I was going to go full-size again, I would probably look at the Nissan Titan.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

i have a 2000 model toyota tundra, bought it new back in 01
              still runs great no problems out of it and I plan on keeping it at least another 5 years. I get an average of 18 mpg in it with the 4.7l v-8.
              I also have a 20' Bass Boat that i drag all over the place.

Btw the Tundra is a full sized truck, the tacoma is the small one.

Comment

I've been looking for a used Tacoma, 05 specifically but I couldn't find one until last night. I found a Dodge Dakota 05 (with a v8) with my specs for $18.5k, and I've found a Tacoma with the exact same specs (except its a v6) for $22.9k. From what I've been seeing, both prices seem inflated for the half tons (because I found an 05 Ram 1500 with all my specs for $19.5k with a ton of accessories).

It's really frustrating to find a full sized truck with everything you are looking for and it's less then the half ton equivalent. (I'd love to buy full sized, but my wife is simply against it).

Thank you for all your comments so far!
                USAR

Comment

Squeak you will find, on average, that any Toyota vehicle will be slightly higher in cost compared to a "American-made" car/truck. They depreciate slower and are generally more reliable so people who buy them are willing to pay the extra because if they do trade it in, it will bring better value than others. Toyota's not the only company that depreciates slower than most, but for trucks they are one of the better options. If I needed a truck and could afford one, it would be the new full-size Tundra.

A co-worker test drove a new one and said he would have had to lay down over $40,000 for one that had everything he wanted. But he said that it had the best acceleration of any truck he has ever driven, not just owned. He loved it but said it wasn't practical for him right now.

()

Comment

Also, Ridgelines are over priced.

Comment

Well, I'm not gonna go into my "buy American" rant, but I will suggest that you seriously consider buying a used vehicle. Vehicles lose 60% of their cash value in the first few years. Buy a 2-4 year old vehicle and you'll be saving a LOT of money.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

you just can't buy anymore "American" than toyota right now
                        :P

Comment

That's why I put that in quotes... virtually all main-stream car companies now have plants in American or in someway are contributing to our economy in some way. Toyota is definitely expanding here in the states like crazy.

()

Comment

Skip the truck, buy a tank:

http://matureasskickers.net/wbb2/thr...threadid=15665
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Just a minor comment on the "american" thing. Nowadays, all vehicles from ALL manufacturers features parts which are designed and built in all places of the world. You would need a secret decoder ring to figure out which vehicle was more "american".
                              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X