What Camera to buy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Camera to buy?

Time to move up and retire my old faithfull film SLR Minolta X-370s and my collection of glass for it.
    I have a Casio QV-R51 I got a couple years or so back. While it has worked good for a point and shot, it is time I now moved up to a better digital camera :)

I been looking at the Canon reble XTi digital SLR @ 10 MP ($899.00)
    And the Nikon D40x digital SLR @ 10 MP. ($799.99)

Which one would you digital photography folks suggest?

I really like the Nikon D80, but at $1300 USD, it is out of my price range (I could build a new quad core game rig for that amount hehe)

Thanks
    {Once again, Fetterman wins "Grumpiest Pirate of the Week" award.} "Axis of Eeevil"

Proud Member of "TG-IRR" Since 14 Sept 2007.

Never give up, never give in. Fight until you die, or until you win. Failure does not come from a lack of knowledge or skill... It comes from a lack of will.

"Bittersweet Symphony"

Re: What Camera to buy?

I have the had a Nikon D70 for several years now and still love it, I have about 3000+ shots on it. It is a solid feeling camera and the lense that Nikon comes with it is very good quality.

I looked at the first gen Rebel as well but it just felt too plastic, lightweight and cheap.

Both the Canon and the Nikon are great cameras, I think for me it comes down to preference and my perception is that Nikon is just a better made camera.
    Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
    Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

I just purchased the Canon and love it so far. I don't consider myself a professional or even an amateur so take my advice for what it is worth. I have not seen the Nikon but my impression is that it is bulkier and heavier. While this might say that it is better quality, I didn't want to have to lug the thing around. I don't get the impression that the Canon is cheap, but compared to the Nikon I guess it would.

A couple of resources I used. Don't know if it is well known but you can get a report of the cameras used on flickr that is kind of interesting. I wouldn't go strictly off the quality of the photos on that site as they have probably undergone serious post processing.

The site I rely on for camera reviews is Steve's Digicams. He lists both cameras as his favorites. I would suggest reading both reviews (VERY in depth) and take a look at the pros and cons and see how that fits your "style".

Here is a sampling of the Canon pics I took. The stock lens does a decent job at macro photography. All the shots in this gallery are mostly untouched. I think I messed with the contrast on the last two, but the rest are straight off the camera.
      flux
      [tg-c1]

Comment

I have the Canon Digital XT and absolutely love it. I got some phenomenal pictures of the air show up in Quonset Point, Rhode Island this weekend that I'm meaning to get posted if you want to take a look. It will give you a very good idea of that camera's capabilities with VERY fast motion. Some of the pictures slow perfect detail of the pulses that exist within the afterburners on US fighters/jets.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
          I have the Canon Digital XT and absolutely love it. I got some phenomenal pictures of the air show up in Quonset Point, Rhode Island this weekend that I'm meaning to get posted if you want to take a look. It will give you a very good idea of that camera's capabilities with VERY fast motion. Some of the pictures slow perfect detail of the pulses that exist within the afterburners on US fighters/jets.

YES! I'd like to see!
          [BIG Airshow fan]
          sigpic

Comment

I like a good soild feeling body. So I'll have to go out to staples and circuit city and look/handle them both in person. I been web shopping/looking up to this point.
            One thing I do dislike about the XTi is it uses the bulker CF cards.
            Tho the 1 giger SD's's I have for the Casio would have to be replaced with some Sandisk Extreme 3's in the 2 - 4 gig size if I got the Nikon.

Flux: I don't worry to much about weight, my Minolta is heavy and my bag with it and glasse's/filters and my tripod must weigh in at lest 15 LBS or more.

Apophis: Yes please. I would love to see those pictures. I am also a air show feak. tho here in Vermont it's rare to have one here.

Thanks alot fellows :)
            {Once again, Fetterman wins "Grumpiest Pirate of the Week" award.} "Axis of Eeevil"

Never give up, never give in. Fight until you die, or until you win. Failure does not come from a lack of knowledge or skill... It comes from a lack of will.

"Bittersweet Symphony"

Comment

The Nikon is more of a "professional" camera, so its gonna have all the fancy features and be harder to customize on the fly. Where as the Rebel is more of a point and shoot type SLR camera. My mom just bought a rebel and its a nice camera. Really fast capture and really easy to adjust and play with on the fly.

Rebel is also easier to transfere pics, as the Nikon prefers its native format RAW. Both are great cameras its just gonna come down to what stores in your area have more add ons or support.
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

I'll get the pics up tonight. I got some great shots of the YF22 banking over my head with full afterburners. Incredible shots.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I don't remember if I posted about it anywhere in another camera thread. B&H just released their Digital Photography SourceBook. It's chock-full of info about digital cameras - pretty much written to inform the buyer all about digital cameras to help make that decision.
                  sigpic

Comment

P8riot: I was just told about B&H during lunch, I just went to their web site and grabbed the sale dept. number. I am givng them a call shortly. I have not gotten to staples/circuitcity yet today. I just got done replacing our washing machines motor and pump. pumped leaked like heck and the motor has been on it's last leg for some time now.

"Bittersweet Symphony"

Comment

Yeah, they are pretty big. I think I am a life-time member of their mailing list, I've been getting all of their sourcebooks for years now.
                      sigpic

Comment

You could go Sony Alpha and it will accept your Minolta glass.

Sarcoma
                        Sarcoma.

Comment

I always found the website http://www.dpreview.com to be VERY helpful when looking at a camera to buy. They also have a great community!

I have an original Digital Rebel, but I've also used the digital Nikons pretty heavily. The canons take great pictures no doubt about it (thanks to the canon lenses), but I really like the metering and color a whole lot better on the Nikons.

If you're going to buy based on glass, I'd go for the canons. If you aren't interested in investing in canon vs. nikkor glass or if you're going to go with third party lenses to save money (like sigma) then I would go with the Nikon.
                          ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                          No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

IMHO, you should buy a nice HD Camcorder that can take still shots. The time has come technologically for this to be the norm, especially if you have some spare coin to throw around. The difference in image quality is STAGGERING. There are some halfway decent portable versions that are going as low as $250 right now. Ideally, you'd simply get an SLR-type HD camcorder with exchangeable lenses if that's your forte (i'm not sure if they exist yet though). If you're just lookin for a nice little family cam, then you've got more options obviously.

But, be aware - you NEED to do your research before you buy one.

Also, if your computer vid. card is HDCP then you're in even better luck because you can save your HD-videos to your computer and then run a cable from there to your HDTV (if it has the right inputs). Otherwise, running from the camera is the only option until HD-burners and players become commonplace.

Sony has some really nice handicams with 30GB HDDs built in. You can pick up some of these for under $1000.

If you're dead-set on a single-shot SLR, you cant go wrong with ol' faithful Canon EOS 10D. Find one on ebay cheap and you're golden. Make sure the lenses are ED/zeiss, etc. Anything above 5MP is a waste of money for snapshots - the human eye cant distinguish. If you're wanting to do HUGE enlargements, that's a different story. Even at 8x10 though 5 MP is fine. Who enlarges more then that?

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
                              If you're dead-set on a single-shot SLR, you cant go wrong with ol' faithful Canon EOS 10D. Find one on ebay cheap and you're golden. Make sure the lenses are ED/zeiss, etc. Anything above 5MP is a waste of money for snapshots - the human eye cant distinguish. If you're wanting to do HUGE enlargements, that's a different story. Even at 8x10 though 5 MP is fine. Who enlarges more then that?
                              Meh.. there is a use for higher MP cameras.. actually more-so in 'snap-shot' imaging - mainly because a photographer is less likely to take the moment 'frame' the image full-frame to the sensor. Likely there will be be some cropping later on and it's great to find the 'image inside the image' that you thought you were taking - the higher pixel density will help making prints from portions of the sensor instead of always the full sensor.

Since I've been consistently doling out useless tech information on the camera threads.. I'll throw out a few more factoids.. some seem obvious. Like this, Did you know you are only using less than the whole sensor to capture the color of each image - sometimes only 20% of it! CMOS and CCD's are natively black and white, it's made color by the filters that cover each individual pixel to capture RGB (and variations thereof). Most sensors will have more 'red' pixels in proportion to the other colors - to achieve better exposure detail in shadow areas. Fuji introduced using variants in pixel filtering to do things like capture better skin tones

Standard ED lenses are good, mainly because they were also a higher quality aspherical design to help the spectrum of color all hit the sensor at the same time - but only at specific aperture settings. 'Digital' lenses also do the same thing by design (but a little 'tighter') because it was a known issue with digital capture.

Canon cameras are deceiving. They are lightweight, but don't take that to mean they are 'cheap' or not durable.. the Canons I've had experience with from the Rebel up have all proven themselves very durable in my hands - and I used them in harsh environments and I wasn't easy on them. The others were also durable but I mention the Canon because of it's deceptive weight.

OK.. enough.. sorry guys..
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...