Trying to quit!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to quit!

Ok guys, I think I need your help on this one.

I know some of you quit using tobacco, and here is my problem. I both smoke and chew. I have chewed since I was a Freshman in High School(peer pressure from Baseball), and started smoking when I was 16. I want to quit both but believe I can only do one at a time. I was told by some of my friends to try several things. Quit both right away, one at a time, or gradually wean myself off. I have tried to quit several times but failed. It is more impulsive than anything. When I'm gaming, drinking beer, after a meal, after...well...you know;), and several other "triggers". I maybe go through 1 can of dip every day and a half, and a pack of cig's every 2 days.

I dont want to use gum or patches, but willing to try other things. Any tips for all you QUITTERS out there?
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Re: Trying to quit!

Well, I'm not a quiter, but the chewing tobbaco is the worst, if you don't want fake teeth when your fifty stop that first. But its extremly hard I would imagine to quit with/o gum or patches, but all patches/gum is a slower intake of tobbaco to your system making the physical addiction less so I guess you can do it with cigerettes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
      Ok guys, I think I need your help on this one.

I know some of you quit using tobacco, and here is my problem. I both smoke and chew. I have chewed since I was a Freshman in High School(peer pressure from Baseball), and started smoking when I was 16. I want to quit both but believe I can only do one at a time. I was told by some of my friends to try several things. Quit both right away, one at a time, or gradually wean myself off. I have tried to quit several times but failed. It is more impulsive than anything. When I'm gaming, drinking beer, after a meal, after...well...you know;), and several other "triggers". I maybe go through 1 can of dip every day and a half, and a pack of cig's every 2 days.

I dont want to use gum or patches, but willing to try other things. Any tips for all you QUITTERS out there?
      It's definitely tough. I tried the gum, patches and the losinges. In the end the losenges worked the best because they were discrete and easy. I tried quitting several times with no success.

I think the biggest issue I faced wasn't so much the physical withdrawal but the psychological addiction and learned behavior or smoking while driving or after meals.

I wasn't a heavy smoker either. A pack would last me a couple days. Definitely a brutal addiction that I wouldn't wish on anyone.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

mmmmm, cigarettes and Copenhagen

Comment

I had to match my quitting with my new wife and house purchase. We both quit the day we moved in the house and were able to use that as our starting day. We sure were cranky for a while but having that marker as the stopping point was very helpful. I was more a smoker by habit (as in I felt the urge because of something happening like after meals or with friends), less by chemical addiction itself.

I'd suggest doing something major and then quitting at the same time cold turkey.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

i used this stuff
            http://www.chantixhome.com/about_chantix.html

my doctor recommended it and gave me a prescription you take it for a week then quit and keep taking it about 3 more weeks. also find something to substitute like gum, for me it was Sunflower seeds.

i was smoking 2 packs a day when i quit last febuary

still wanna cigarette but i can keep away from them. i've been told it takes 15 months to totaly get rid of the cravings

Comment

Though never a regular user of either form of tobacco, I can say that sunflower seeds are a pretty solid diversion. Whenever I drive or stand duty I keep a bag of seeds with me.

I had a friend who quit dip by taking a piece of Big Red, cinnamon gum and rolling it up into a pinch like shape and sticking it under his lip. So I guess he used the intensity of the cinnamon to make up for the buzz but still had that feeling of "dip" sitting along his bottom gums.

Comment

Haha I've always heard about the sunflower seeds idea to quit smoking, a correlation I sorta really never understood. As for the Big Red idea, that's pure genius :)

Comment

I picked up smoking in Photography School and was hooked for 10 years but just a pack every couple of days. I tried the gum, the patches.. they helped but never got me through the long term.

So I quit on quitting until I just got sick of feeling run-down all the time and hacking up junk every morning.. so I dropped it cold-turkey. That lasted 6 years or so.. the key for me was just to remind myself about how I didn't want to feel anymore.

Sad to say, but for me, the craving never went completely away. Fully manageable, but the occasional craving would pop up every week or so, but I knew that giving in even once would just nullify all the effort toward quitting.
                  sigpic

Comment

Dirt here's how you do it.

When i was smoking and wanted to quit, I did a lot of exercising. Everyday I went to the gym. When i had a desire I grabbed something else to pass it off. Anything works just not to much of the same thing. The psychological factor is the first part to get over. After you figure what it is that will take your mind off it then you run into the chemical addiction that starts to set in. You will be one cranky Mofo trust me. When I first quit it took 2 weeks without a cigarette before i finally got over the chemical addiction. Much willpower had to be used and every time i felt like i couldn't take it, I grabbed my b-ball and went and played hard, to the point of exhaustion.

Everyone's metabolism is different though and it might take longer for some. The chew i can't really help you with though as i've never gotten into it.

- -

Comment

The thing is that I excercise quite a bit. I do PT Mon, Wed, and Fri. Physically speaking, I am fit. I run 3 and half miles every other day, but right after I will light up.
                      "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

^^^ Yep that helps a LOT too.

(What Vulcan said)
                        sigpic

Comment

Cold Turkey is the only way to quit. As for the cravings, you might just have to man-up against them. I hear in the Marines, the shower water is never cold enough...that's probably the sort of mentality you'll need to adopt.

gl;ss

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
                            The thing is that I excercise quite a bit. I do PT Mon, Wed, and Fri. Physically speaking, I am fit. I run 3 and half miles every other day, but right after I will light up.
                            That's where willpower comes in, either you want to quit or you don't. If you don't really have a desire to quit then noone can help you. If you do then don't light up. Don't carry cigarettes, don't buy them and stay away from people who smoke.

- -

Comment

And if you WANT to keep being able to run over three miles every other day - thats a good incentive to quit right there.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X