So I ship to boot in September...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I ship to boot in September...

Like I said, September 17th I ship down to Parris Island. Anyone have advice? I don't care if you're Marine, although that is all the better. Any tidbit of information is welcome.

Right now I'm lined up for ground option, which includes pretty much all of the field jobs you can imagine. I didn't really want to choose it but Infantry is closed at the moment - so heres to hoping I luck out and get that through ground option or a slot opens up before I ship. I scored a 97 on my AFQT/ASVAB and above 130 on all the sub-tests so I'm not worried much about getting completely shafted if I leave myself open a bit.

I can't wait for my ship date; this long wait time is making me really anxious.

Re: So I ship to boot in September...

Start training for PT 6 months ago. Pushups, situps, pullups, running.
    Also, as anyone who has ever been in the marines will be willing to tell you, every marine is a rifleman first, so no matter what your MOS turns out to be, you're still qualified infantry.

Also, start having your friends scream at you and get in your face all the time. Desensitize yourself. Practice the thousand yard stare as well.

Other than that, Semper Fi.
    Oorah!

Comment

Also remember that a HUGE part of their mission is to break you down from being an individual and make you a part of the greater whole, and no, that is not a put-down, one of my favorite parts of being in the military was the feeling of being part of something larger than myself.
      |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
      I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

I work out every day (I run in the morning and hit the gym in the evenings), last weak I had the chance to do some PT with a few Recon Marines. Those guys are intense!

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Ok, I got a few tips that haven't been said. Even though I only went to Air Force basic, I am sure that some of these things may apply.

1. Don't wear anything that stands out. When you first get there, you wont be issued cammies right away, so dont wear anything that sets you apart from the guy next to you.

2. Don't go there with a shaved head. This is just asking for attention!

3. Don't volunteer for NOTHING! I dont care if the DI makes it sound like its really cool...chances are it is really stupid and this will only bring attention on yourself.

4. Don't overpack. Just a small dufflebag full of NEEDED things. i.e toothpaste, toothbrush...NOT pr0n, cellphones, candy, and magazines.

5. Be a fly on the wall. Dont stand out, but at the same time let the platoon know who you are!

6. Don't bring pictures of your girlfriend and/or wife. The DI'd will say things that will make you really mad.

7. Don't cry...self-explanitory.

Much respect for you and I hope that you have fun:)
          "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Great tips everyone. The main thing I remember from basic is not to stick out. And do whatever the DI says to do. A lot of times it can be frustrating, because no matter what you do, you're doing it wrong. They do this on purpose, but it's all for reason. Just do what they say, get through it, and it will all be over soon. Actually, it was sad and happy at the same time to leave basic. You're division mates end up being like brothers, and everyone kind of goes their separate ways. Except for one of them, for whom I am his daughter's godfather. We're best friends to this day. Make the most of it, and keep a positive attitude. No matter how much it sucks from time to time, it will end.

One more thing...even if you are not religious, GO TO CHURCH on Sundays when they offer it. They can't refuse religious services to you, and it's a great spiritual motivator to get you through another week. If you don't go, you'll end up just doing details in the barracks, so you might as well.
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Well, I'll offer some conflicting advice: You might want to stand out. Squad leaders and Guides are often promoted out of boot camp in the Marines. You're not going to be a squad leader or Guide without really standing out and taking charge whenever possible. Promotion from private to PFC, or PFC to Lance Corporal might not seem like much, but it could make a BIG difference years down the line when you're competing with all those guys for promotion.

That said, I personally chose to stay out of the limelight as much as possible during boot camp. I already had a promotion from being in JROTC for 4 years, and I was just looking to make it through boot camp as easily as possible. Unfortunately, I smile too much and those damn drill instructors have eyes everywhere.

Oh, and our Senior Drill Instructor let us buy a newspaper and do our laundry on Sunday mornings with instructions to his junior DIs to leave us alone, regardless of whether or not we go to church. I skipped both the Catholic and the Protestant services and did my laundry during the first service and then read the San Diego Union Tribune during the second service. It was great. I've heard that on Parris Island that you have washers and dryers available to you, so laundry might not be as much of an issue.
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I'll be PFC out of boot already because of college credits so I'm thinking being the invisible man may be the way to go.

Great stuff guys, thanks.

Comment

Just remember when they are inches from your face yelling at you or constantly picking on you for even for what seems to be the smallest infraction that its not personal. If it wasn't you it would be someone else. Everything they do, they do for a reason. As soon as you start taking the yelling and punishments as personal it will chew you up and spit you out.

Comment

Good site with lots of info on about almost everything in the military. Rod is an ex Military Offcer with two daughters in the air force.

http://usmilitary.about.com/
                    {Once again, Fetterman wins "Grumpiest Pirate of the Week" award.} "Axis of Eeevil"

Proud Member of "TG-IRR" Since 14 Sept 2007.

Never give up, never give in. Fight until you die, or until you win. Failure does not come from a lack of knowledge or skill... It comes from a lack of will.

"Bittersweet Symphony"

Comment

Heres some real good advice.If your frustrated and want to talk **** about your DI,don't do it in a stairway.Sound travels,believe me the post smoking isn't fun lol.Good luck man basic is no sweat,just remember basic is not the real army/marines/airforce/navy.Life gets better after you graduate and arrive at your unit.

Comment

I did basic at Ft Sill, OK in 93 in the Army. So it has been some time for me.
                        Just remember, take charge, learn as much as you can, but don't stick out to much.Remember the good/fun stuff and forget the bad stuff.

My most recent deployments before I ETS was KFOR 2-b and OIF So I, and it looks like a lot more people here have BTDT.
                        If I can do it, anyone can.
                        Word

Comment

Congratulations, I'm jealous.

None of the branches want me.
                          USAR

Comment

Originally posted by squeak View Post
                            Congratulations, I'm jealous.

None of the branches want me.
                            Sorry mate :(

Mind if I ask why?

Comment

I've applied to USMC OCS twice, and USAF OTS once.

I wasn't accepted any of the times. Wouldn't take me into OCS because I could never manage to break an 8 minute mile for the 3 mile pt. Then they passed me over for OTS because they were only filling for desk jobs.

I'm considering enlisting, but my wife and family are really REALLY against it.

Good luck to you sir.
                              USAR

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...