Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top 7 War Movies?

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
    Oh, man, I forgot about those! Both excellent movies. I try to watch The Patriot every Independence Day now.

I thought I was the only one that did this....a very special movie indeed.
    "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

Here's an interesting thought. Do you enjoy movies that show exceptional Commanders or exceptional Soldiers?

We Were Soldiers is a great movie about a great commander.
      To Hell and Back is a mix about a great soldier becoming a great commander.
      Band of Brothers is also another mix about the soldiers and their commander.
      Patton is definately about the commander.
      Tuskeegee Air Men is about the soldiers (specifically the pilots)
      Enemy at the Gates about the soldiers again (a sniper)
      My sanity is not in question...
      It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

No particular order.

1 ) Enemy at the Gates

2 ) The Bridge on the River Kwai

3 ) Das Boot

4 ) The Great Escape

5 ) Stalag 17

6 ) Saving Private Ryan

7 ) Apocalypse Now

As a bonus not really a war movie Kelly's Heroes , great entertainment.
        I want all those who get to know me
        To become admirers or my enemies

Comment

1. Patton
          2. Black Hawk Down
          3. Full Metal Jacket
          4. Dirty Dozen
          5. Band Of Brothers
          6. Apocalypse Now
          7. Saving Private Ryan
          8. Hamburger Hill

couldnt choose just 1 so i added 1 :)

Comment

In no particular order:

Deer Hunter
            Saving Private Ryan
            Schindler's List
            Bridge Too Far
            Glory
            Dirty Dozen
            Full Metal Jacket
            |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
            [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

There are so many

1 A Midnight Clear
              2 We Were Soldiers Once, and Young
              3 Blackhawk Down
              4 Life is Beautiful (Completely shocked me how good it was)
              5 Das Boot
              6 A Bridge To Far
              7 Sophie's Choice

Honerable Mentions

Patton
              Big Red One
              Saving Private Ryan
              The Longest Day
              Bravehart
              Apocolypse Now
              Shindlers List
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Betterdeadthanred View Post
                The patriot and braveheart are practically the same movies, Mel Gibson screaming away like a madman.

We watched the patriot 4 times in my war and diplomacy class. We are a big fan of the movie.
                Skud

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                  4 Life is Beautiful (Completely shocked me how good it was)
                  Yeah, before that movie, I always avoided subtitled films. My wife dragged me to go see it and I walked out of the theater dumbfounded. One of the best movies I've ever seen. EVER.

I'm now much more likely to be willing to watch a subtitled movie, too.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                    1 A Midnight Clear
                    You're the only person I know of that shares my love for this movie.

Comment

1. Waterloo

You will be hard pressed to find another movie that is as accurate and on such scale as Waterloo. While the action might pale in comparision to todays films, the cinematography still holds up after 37 years. The most impressive aspect of this movie is the scale they were able to achieve. By employing the then Soviet Army as extras, they were able to field a comparable number of men to the actual 140,000+ who fought in the battle.

2. Band of Brothers

With the production values, producers and directors they had, this has to be considered a movie. The quality of this show stands up to any movie. While it might not have worked as a single movie it uses the mini-series format to perfection. Great action mixed with great and interesting stories.

3. Black Hawk Down

As much as I hate it when people compare movies to the books they are based off of, I have to mention it here. Definitely read the book. It's not that I am knocking the movie...It wouldn't be on my list if I was. But the battle for Mogadishu was so chaotic with so much going on that it would've been impossible to include every event and all the details without making a 3 hour movie or losing the audience. I highly recommend it if you are interested in modern combat.

4. Henry V

It's amazing that one of histories greatest playwrites was also a great historical writer. While the movie is certainly skewed in the favor of the English, you already assume its going to be considering the author. It is also fun watching a war movie in iambic pentameter. Again, accurate and some good fight scenes, as you would expect from a shakespearen film.

5. Gettysburg

Solid movie that me and my brother pretty much wore out. Pretty accurate and has a great soundtrack. My only gripe was that it wasn't able to capture the epic scale of the actual battle where the forces combined to number 160,000 men.

6. Master and Commander

It's another period piece but is based off of the Patrick O'Brian series. Really the height and most interesting period in Naval History. Great acting, great detail and a great soundtrack.

7. Patton

I was hard pressed finding 7 movies worthy of putting up here. Patton gets a nod because for every away lacrosse game during High School we would watch the opening speech as we approached the opposing team's field.

Comment

1. We Were Soldiers
                        2. The Guns of Navarone
                        3. Flags of our Fathers
                        4. Tora! Tora! Tora!
                        5. Midway
                        6. All Quiet on the Western Front
                        7. The Longest Day

Comment

Surprised so few have rated the Deer Hunter, and no-one gives a mention to When Trumpets Fade. Both are excellent films.

Comment

Everyone should go see Rescue Dawn.

Comment

I liked "Memphis Belle", I don't think anyone else mentioned that one.

"Sniper" with Tom Berenger...another favorite.
                              Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                              Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Letters From Iwo Jima, Downfall [Der Untergang], Das Boot, and Apocolypse Now are all you need.
                                A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X