Web Design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Design

I got a job today.... YEA! I mean, crap, no more playing games all nite.

More to the point, the company (a lab) has a terrible website. It's just bad. Any web designer would cringe if they saw it. It looks unprofessional, very old html style from 5 years ago. The color scheme is inconsistent, fonts are inconsistent, graphics are distracting, etc. The site sucks.

I'd like to redesign it completely and then hand it to my new boss (the owner) on CD. I think that'll get my pay scale moving in the right direction.

I know how I'd like it to look, but I really don't know how to do it. Last time I did web design was 6 years ago and I coded by hand with cuteHTML, no WYSIWYGs.

Can anyone give me a hand with this? I just downloaded a trial of dream weave but have no idea how to use it (yet).

Also, yesterday I found a GREAT website that provides thumbs of websites (with links) that they consider to be superior in design. It broke them down by design elements like background colors or frame style. I can't find it again! I just stumbled on it and forgot to book mark. If you know the site I'm talking about, please link it for me. It discussed current trends in web design and I'd like to read more as I make this.

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Re: Web Design

Is this site going to be a one-shot wonder, or will it evolve over time and need to be maintained? If the latter, then it should be coded as such. I've yet to see a WYSIWIG tool that produces maintainable code. But some do generate decent data structures that code can leverage. I'd guess you'd store the design in XML and use some back-end to parse it into HTML.

What I really hate are sites that insist that the main page use Flash or some other fancy animated rendering thing. Movie sites are the worst that way. The new Quake Wars site is like that, as have been most Id game sites in the past. Maybe it's because I'm left-brained, but I much prefer function to form. I'll take the ugly and usable over the pretty yet hard to navigate.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

This guy put together some good examples. He breaks down the design components and goes into detail on why certain elements are appealing and how they should be used. It seems to be very similar to what you described.

http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/current-style.cfm

Comment

If you need any help, you should check out www.sunrdried-studios.com a good friend of mine I've known for years just started it last year. He's very talented at web deisgn/ flash/ photoshop. Etc.

Comment

Erm, in which case if you do hand him his brand new website, he might make you the web manager.

In any case, what is the link to the current site?

And do you have any plans on maintaining the site in the future (updates and such).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I don't quite want to crush your dreams, but if you don't know HTML, then you probably won't become a web designer right off the bat. Doing site design though the Dreamweaver Design view can only take you so far, so I recommend you use the Split view so you can see what code it takes to make the site. As for websites, the http://ww3.w3schools.com site (W3C) is an excellent place to start learning. They have tutorials and detailed reference guides in all of the basic web langauges (HTML, CSS, Javascript) and a whole lot more on advanced ones. When you get a hang of coding HTML and CSS, it will be a whole lot easier to create what you had in mind.

Comment

I have no plans on becoming the web designer. We don't have a 'web designer' as far as I know. It's an analytical lab that must have hired someone years ago to throw together a simple site. I'm a lab tech doing assays -- or I will be starting Friday. It's a small company, as far as I can tell <40 employees. Maybe smaller. PR is a non concern, large enough customer base I guess. At any rate, it doesn't hurt to replace a terrible website with a respectable one. My boss (the owner) will certainly like the initiative. I'll certainly like a good raise come 3 month review. In my head I've already got a much better site layout and design, its a matter of figuring out how its done again. Html has progressed to Xhtml since I last did this stuff.

The site will require no maintenance beyond occasionally updating prices and available services.

This should be a one hit wonder when I'm done, completely replacing what he's currently got up.

Thanks for the replies so far.

PS
              Sundried studios link is a nogo
              |TG|Switch

Better known as:

Comment

It's sundried-studios without the extra R between sun and dried.

Comment

Originally posted by Acid View Post
                  It's sundried-studios without the extra R between sun and dried.
                  Ya, that was my typo. Only tie I'll eventually have with the company is the "street team". I could of been in the same position he is, but I failed to take the time to learn flash and photoshop fully. /kicks self in the head.

www.sundried-studios.com

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                    Html has progressed to Xhtml since I last did this stuff.
                    http://blog.whatwg.org/faq/#whattf

(Culled from my collection of web authoring notes at MA's forums)
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

www.w3schools.com

Get acquainted with the CSS resources.
                      USAR

Comment

Checking up. Any luck with that web design mate?
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I called up my uncle and ask if he'd give me a hand. This is his company www.epam.com

He told me to email him my request and he'd forward it to someone cc me. I think this is taken care of.

If for some reason it isn't, I'll def be looking for more help from you guys.
                          |TG|Switch

Better known as:

Comment

All righty then.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X