Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Unbelievable, perhaps the most excellent piece of fiction I have ever read. One could, after reading this book, think of the content of the last six books as merely all instruments meant to set the stage for this novel of unbelievable imagery, intensity, and emotion. The finely crafted universe that Rowling so impressively thought up as an unemployed mother of one has truly brought the world something it will never forget: a true literary classic of our age that closed an epic series of seven with as much if not more strength than it started.

The best 10 hours of my life, going by as if they were just a few minutes apiece, hands down.

-Zephyr
    You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
    We are not a single game.
    We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
    We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I give up.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I don't know that I would label it the best piece of fiction I've ever read by a long shot, but it was a damn good book and a damn fitting ending to the series.

Comment

Thats funny
        Hallows is my last name.

Comment

You guys have read it already? Didn't it come out at midnight?

Comment

Just finished it. I was really really impressed. That finale was for the adults, for sure. I would not let me kids read that until late Junior High, personally.

Very well written, didn't pull any punches, good surprises all around. Fantastic.

Comment

Hearing the reviews here, I keep thinking of James Kirk extolling the virtues of Jacqueline Susanne. :p
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I love that the adult world is enthralled by a series of books meant for children :)

Didn't mean that in an offensive way, it just makes me chuckle. I'm sure they're well written as the critics never stop raving. I just might go read them now the set is complete.
                |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                That noob who crashed the chopper.
                That noob who ran over the mine.
                That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

I completely understand your view Switch. I started reading them about 4 years ago, because my nieces and nephews were raving about them, and I wanted to connect with them. The first few were boring, and definitely geared towards children. Then I got to Book 4, and it honestly took ahold of me. I skipped a day of work and read it straight through. Give them a shot, good light reading, very immersive.

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                    I'm sure they're well written
                    They aren't.
                    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

My wife and I both read them. I reviewed a Wikipedia summary earlier today. Won't prevent me from reading the book to get all of the details but that won't happem until my wife gets done with it, and she's a slow reader.

Figured better to learn it on my own action then to overhear stuff before I got a chance to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by jaymind View Post
                        I don't know that I would label it the best piece of fiction I've ever read by a long shot, but it was a damn good book and a damn fitting ending to the series.
                        I suppose what I really meant by "best" is that it drew on all of the characters, places, and motifs so well that as I finished I completely felt that its universe was not merely fictional but a parallel one that was in every sense completely alive and, while always somewhat absurd, believable. I can't think of any higher praise for fiction when it can make you really believe what you're reading is real, or has been real in some different way and you just can't see it.

Oh, and yeah, it is very much so not a children's book at this point. I mean, this book is essentially full scale war in a universe that did start out cute and cuddly but quickly showed its ugly and sharp edges.

-Zephyr
                        You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

We are no clan.

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
                          They aren't.
                          We get it. You don't like a book because you haven't read the book and never intend to read the book. Of course that means your comments on said book have little/no meaning because they're based on assumptions pulled out of empty air and preconcieved misconceptions.

I'm looking forward to reading the book myself as soon as I can get my hands on a copy. Though I did promise a friend I'd get through the 'fake' fan made copy first. Oy...749 pages of fan written material...ugh. Ah well, the fake book 5 was pretty good so I suppose it would be horrible to slog through before reading the real thing.
                          My sanity is not in question...
                          It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
                            We get it. You don't like a book because you haven't read the book and never intend to read the book. Of course that means your comments on said book have little/no meaning because they're based on assumptions pulled out of empty air and preconcieved misconceptions.
                            I read the first book, and sources tell me that while the plot (obviously) differs in the other six, the writing style is the same. The writing style is my problem. I don't stick my arm into dark holes; I know what's in there before I reach. I really appreciate the respect and maturity in your post; your knowledge of me is overwhelming.
                            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

With all due respect Ednos, you are doing nothing but trolling in this thread. Please stop. We just want to discuss a book.

-Zephyr

We are no clan.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X