Legendary iD Software titles on Steam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legendary iD Software titles on Steam

I caught this on my Steam RSS feed tonight! Pretty sweet... you can basically get every DOOM, Quake, Heretic/Hexen, and Wolfenstein game for $62 bucks. Quite a deal.

And if you're feeling nostalgic, the games are priced at bargain basement prices individually. Brings back some memories for sure. DOOM II was the first game I ever played online multiplayer.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Re: Legendary iD Software titles on Steam

Kind of bites it doesn't let me use my Doom3 cdkey to download the steam version :-/.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

don't forget Commander Keen!

Comment

Doom was a cow; Heretic was funky; but Hexen was pure insanity.

Comment

Wow, this is awesome!
          ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
          No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Anyone download anything? I'm debating on whether or not I want the Quake pack. I've played the Doom series so many times through I don't think I want to download it. It would be fun to d/l the Wolfenstein series but it's just so old...

Comment

There are MANY homebrew projects which have re-released DOOM I & II and Wolf-3d in various improved forms. I wouldn't buy those from Steam, but I might be tempted by CMDR KEEN! :)
              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I couldn't resist picking up Commander Keen. I played many hours of the shareware version of Goodbye Galaxy, nice to finally have the whole game. (I hadn't played any of the earlier games, so they're a bit awkward to me, but neat to play all the same)

They also use DOSBox for the emulation, so it runs very smooth in XP and Vista.

$63 is an awesome deal for every game, but my wallet's already going to be hurting from Ep2/TF2/Portal, Quake Wars and BioShock, but I'll probably pick out a couple other games later on.

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
                Kind of bites it doesn't let me use my Doom3 cdkey to download the steam version :-/.
                Makes sense that Valve doesn't want to pay for bandwidth for a game they didn't sell you though. (Wish there was an option to pay maybe $5 or so to add it to Steam or something)

Comment

Keep in mind that none of these older games which didn't have a built-in multiplayer game browser will have one now. (like original quake and quake2 for example) Also, the older games (again like quake and quake2) which had their music tracks on the game's install CD will NOT have music if you get the steam version.

Comment

Originally posted by Satertek View Post
                    Makes sense that Valve doesn't want to pay for bandwidth for a game they didn't sell you though. (Wish there was an option to pay maybe $5 or so to add it to Steam or something)
                    Yeah, I've wondered why they did it with Prey. I certainly wish they would do it with every title that they pick up.
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                      Yeah, I've wondered why they did it with Prey. I certainly wish they would do it with every title that they pick up.
                      Well with Prey, it was originally distributed on a service called Triton which died. They must've worked out a deal with Valve so people who bought it on Triton weren't left without a way to get the game they bought.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfyn View Post
                        Doom was a cow; Heretic was funky; but Hexen was pure insanity.
                        I loved Heretic and Hexen and use to play LAN games with my buddies for hours.

We had a great Heretic map that was a fortress with lots of tiny tunnels through it, so if you got turned into a chicken you could quickly escape to a distant part of the fortress.

Hexen had vials of poison gas you could drop behind you. I suck at face-to-face deathmatch so I'd run away through a doorway and drop the vials on the far side where my chasers would find themselves dying in the green ghastly clouds. I earned the name "Mister Stinky" from doing that. :D
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Relmar View Post
                          Keep in mind that none of these older games which didn't have a built-in multiplayer game browser will have one now. (like original quake and quake2 for example) Also, the older games (again like quake and quake2) which had their music tracks on the game's install CD will NOT have music if you get the steam version.
                          That's not cool. The Quake soundtrack was done by one of the dudes from Nine Inch Nails and was definitely one of the best parts of the game.
                          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X