iPod - anyone here use this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod - anyone here use this?

I am going to lose access to most of my music collection soon, and was considering getting an iPod so that I could take most of it with me. I had a few questions about it that I was hoping a user could answer for me:

1. They say you can import music directly from CDs. What about MP3 files you have on your computer? Can you import those pretty easily?

2. How is the organization? If you've got a sizeable collection is it pretty easy to get to a specific song or CD or artist?

3. I thought I remembered some problem with replacing the batteries, something about needing to pay a high fee to get them replaced. Is this still the case? If so, what is the lifespan of the batteries and how much is the replacement fee?

Thanks! If anyone has any alternate suggestions for compact music storage and play I'd be interested in them.
    [volun]

Re: iPod - anyone here use this?

http://www.ipodbatteryfaq.com/

I read a bit through that FAQ and it dispels a lot of the rumours that have been going on about the iPod's battery. It's a lithium ion battery, which means it should last a good while if you use it right. Just don't fully discharge the battery.

I've always thought the iPod is one excellent MP3 player. It has one of the best user interfaces and a huge memory capacity. The only thing is it's from Apple so it costs an arm and a leg.

For an alternative, you might want to look at the Archos. It's pretty much the same thing but bigger (about the size of a PDA but thicker). You might be able to find it cheaper and it comes with 8 NiMH batteries (1500mAh), using 4. The supposed battery life is 10 hours compared to the iPod's 8. Plus, a review said you could get better NiMH batteries (2100mAh) and extend the battery life of the Archos. The second review bashed the Archos but never mentions battery life. I don't know how old that review is but Archos does have the ability to receive firmware updates that could fix/enhance things. As far as I can tell, the second review is from 2003 and his unit might have needed a firmware update.

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/2002/0426.htm
    http://gadgeteer.7gen.com/products/m...s-20gb-fm.html

I quickly looked at some prices and both players hover around $250-300. The Archos is $250 at the cheapest for 20Gb and the iPod at about $250 for 15Gb. For $300 you could get a 20Gb iPod. I personally would go for the iPod because those things are tiny and give you pretty good battery life. Although the Archos is tempting because of the external batteries.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Many thanks Sarc! Checking out those links now.
      [volun]

Comment

After I wrote that post I browsed around this Canadian deals forum I frequent. They just mentioned that the 4th generation iPods have a much longer battery life (12 hours). There were some price comparisons and complaints about the Canadian prices being higher. It looks like 4th generation 20GB iPod goes for ~$300. That's a pretty good deal since I keep seeing all these bad reviews for the Archos.

I forgot to mention a couple other MP3 players. There's the Dell Digital Jukebox and Creatives Nomad Zen. Creative also has the regular Nomad but those things are huge (like a CD player but a little thicker). Still, I think the iPod is the smallest out of them and there's even the iPod Mini.

Comment

I just heard that you can also use this for other file storage. Is this true? And how easy is it to work with? I am also thinking about getting one of those little Flash Key drives to transfer files, but if the iPod works well for this then I might not bother.
          [volun]

Comment

Yeah, You can hack your Ipod (using software) to use it just like another hard drive. Search google for "ipod hacks".

Comment

Who needs all that space?
              My MP3 Player

|
              |
              |________________________

^-About the exact size on my 128mb MP3 player. Runs almost ALL day on 1 triple a battery (even the CHEAP ones!!)

Greatest thing I have ever had, and really small, so it
              1. Doesnt break when you drop it =)
              2. Fits in tight spots
              3. Comfortable in pocket
              4. Just being friggin awesome :)

128MB is plenty of room for me, even with the big selection of music I have. Good Layout, and awesome screen that tells you anything :)

Uses USB, so it is like flash memory and fits in almost any PC today :)

Comment

Okay, I can't take it any longer Sniper......which one do you have?
                New to TG?

Comment

Normally, I'd agree with you about the size Sniper. The 40GB one holds 10,000 songs!!! But if I'm going to use this I need to be able to get all or most of my music collection onto the player, so 128 MB just won't cut it. I won't just load up the songs I want to hear at the moment, I'll load up the songs I want to hear for a whole year.

Anyway, thanks for all the information guys. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the 15GB iPod ($250).
                  [volun]

Comment

also, check out the muvo 2, the napster mp3 player, etc.

HOWEVER: my solution for my 60 gig mp3 collection:

a DVD burner and a portable DVD player. I got a 130 dollar apex portable DVD player at wal-mart and the thing played everything I threw at it just like its bigger brother, the 40.00 Apex 1100w. the only thing it would not play was a DVD+R. but my mp3's on a DVD-RW, golden for the low low price of 130.00, plus, the thing will play a DVD, and comes with remote, a 5.4" LCD, and a carrying case.

after about 30 days, I got tired of the thing not playing the DVD+R's so I went in for an upgrade, and got a widescreen 7" Initial model that, while it wont play an svcd, will play and DVD I throw at it and will play a CDR with mp3's on it.

Linkage if interested: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...162710%3A62056

just look at the apex and initial. bothe are really good quality for the low price. heck, there's even an initial 5" for 134.00. all of them can double as a home DVD player with digital coaxial output for true Dolby 5.1 or DTS surround sound. now if only Phillips would put one out that will play DIVX like its 60.00 big brother does. linkage: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...62055%3A124624
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

If most of you don't know, H-Hour is going on an extended trip overseas so something like the iPod would be best. It keeps things private in case you're rooming with a few others. It's also tiny so there's less to bring.

Flash memory would never provide enough storage capacity, even with the new 4GB microdrives. It'll cost as much as an iPod or more. The portable DVD player is an interesting idea. It might be worth it if the battery life is good or if you can keep it powered with the AC adapter. You could bring your entire CD collection or convert them to MP3 for less to bring.

Comment

A muvo :)

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper
                          A muvo :)

[img]Image of Muvo[/img]
                          I guess you still don't realize that H-Hour will be on an extended trip and 128MB won't be enough. Imagine listening to the same album every day for a year. It's a nice looking player but doesn't quite suit what was asked. :icon20:

Comment

DdogG, I would love to have a writeable DVD drive and a DVD player, but right now it's just a little out of my price range. How many songs can you get on a DVD?
                            [volun]

Comment

iPod is the devil!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed