Best WWII game to date

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best WWII game to date

I've been searching this forum and reading reviews on gamespot for a good WWII game to get. They have the latest Medal of Honor pretty high. I read good things here on older posts about Company of Heroes. As of right now...I'd like opinions on the best one and reasons why you think it is.

Thanks!

Re: Best WWII game to date

Which genre of game? FPS? RTS? Strat?
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

For RTS: Company of Heroes

For FPS: Call of duty

imo anyways

Comment

Originally posted by stickyjeans69 View Post
        For RTS: Company of Heroes

For FPS: Call of duty

imo anyways
        I concur with both. Call of Duty 2 was my fav. The scene where you storm Normandy beach was very well done, even by today's standards.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

A little outdated, but still my favorite Battlefield. Battlefield 1942

Comment

RTS: Company of Heroes

I have Call of Duty but I don't care much for it, my hands on still in the air for a good FPS WWII game, but it would be between Call of Duty and Medal of Honor for the FPS genre.

Comment

fps: call of duty or battlefield 1942
              I'm torn between the two
              9mmATX

"The only way to officially kill a sniper is with a knife." - FlyingDeLorean

Comment

Combat Mission: Afrika Korps.
                Do or do not, there is no try....
                -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

That is such a good friggin' game for so many reasons, it's krezzy.

FPS: Hidden And Dangerous 2

An absolutely fantastic tactical game, even with it's age(Not old enough to have beautiful 2D graphics, not recent enough to have great 3D graphics ) I would recommend this to anyone.

Medal of Honor is pathetic, but COD 1&2 have a great cinematic quality about them that really gets me into it.
                  Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Comment

Thanks for all the help! Oh yeah...forgot to mention I'll be playing it on a 60" plasma with surround sound so also want a game that has graphics and sound that will take full advantage of this. I know some games may not have the resoultion capability for a TV.
                    Last edited by rammajamma; 08-11-2007, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas Ender View Post
                      FPS: Hidden And Dangerous 2

An absolutely fantastic tactical game, even with it's age(Not old enough to have beautiful 2D graphics, not recent enough to have great 3D graphics ) I would recommend this to anyone.
                      Sleepdoc recently turned me onto this game....I have to say it's pretty cool although I haven't really invested a lot of time into it. Filefront still has the SP and MP demos of hidden & dangerous 2, so it's free to try.

It's mighty rare to come by retail (saw a few on ebay) and gogamer has the original, but apparently you need the sabre expansion for MP (which gogamer does not have).

I'd also throw my hat into the ring for BF1942, but I'd say the Forgotten Hope mod is an absolute must if that's the route you are going to take :)

Looking to the future...hold onto your hats for Forgotten Hope 2 :)

Comment

It really is probably the best done WWII RTS out there.

FPS: Dunno

I thought about CoD, but aside from the initial 'wow' factor of the experience if you sit through and play it again certain things start to becoming naggingly annoying. Things like randomly generated enemies coming out of empty corners, friends and foes running through walls and buildings on prescripted paths, repetitive animations, and linear game play makes it seem like you're in a shooting gallery coasting along a track. Its a very pretty track and the 'drive and gun' sequences are a LOT of fun, but its still a track.

Another game that struck me was Brothers in Arms. I actually only played the Xpansion and found it fun...until I got a tank. After you get a tank it seems like every other enemy position has a panzerfaust and they can snipe your entire fireteam from across a field with it. The CoH tactical feel to a FPS was rather novel against other run and gun games. Not so much fun when they 'take cover' on the wrong side of the fence, but still an element of control most FPS don't have.
                        My sanity is not in question...
                        It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

anyone wanna round of bf1942 with me?
                          GO MANCHESTER UNITED ALL THE WAY!
                          HAIL CRISTIANO RONALDO
                          in game name= TG Shifty.P
                          2nd in the US with bianchi lmg for most kills
                          7th in the world with Bianchi LMG for most kills
                          K/D of 31/1 with bianchi
                          LYra=stop aimbotting shifty

Comment

Cod/uo
                            Dod2
                            The Old Guy
                            kin3
                            sigpic

Comment

I edited my last reply and my last question may have been missed. Which one of the WWII games that you guys have recommeded have the resolution capability to play on a 60 plasma. I have it hooked up via HDMI-to-Dvi cable. Does it have to do with a video card alone? I'm under the impression some games have a wider spectrum of resolution capabilities.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X