Help an innocent man! Cops?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help an innocent man! Cops?

Ok. First off, I admit, I do speed a majority of the time. I drive 110 miles a day, and am an impatient person. Last week, I received my 3rd speeding ticket in a year (illinois). It was deserved, I had no problem with it. I'll try to get court supervision for it, and be extra careful. Also, I'm quitting my job at the end of month, that forces me to drive a gazillion miles.

Well, today, I was driving my usual route to work (all interstate) when I approached the site of the usual speedtrap, the one that got me last week. I made sure I slowed down even more, to 68 (65 speed limit). I see the guy on the overpass with the ladar gun, and go about my business. A mile later, I see a cop car at a turnabout, and he pulls out to follow me. The cars I am all behind pull into the right lane guiltily, but I keep on going my constant speed, knowing I'm not speeding. WELL, cop pulls me over, tells me I was speeding. I respectfully disagree, letting him know about last week, and how I'm well aware there is a trap there. He believes me, and gets on the horn with the ladar guy. Ladar guy says he is 100% sure it was me, even though I was in a mess of cars, and the ticket says he got me at 1474 ft. Long ways to see my blue honda. Policeman apologizes and gives me a citation.

I have always accepted my speeding tickets and their punishments, because they caught me fair and square. I was definitely NOT speeding this time. Ticket says I was going 85mph! Can anyone give me advice on how to fairly and morally fight this? Not just because I'm innocent, but also because this would mean my license gets taken away!

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks ;)

Re: Help an innocent man! Cops?

Get yourself an attorney and fight it...or fight it without one...but definitely fight it. At 1474 ft I think you have a good case, especially due to the volume of traffic. That's really all you can do. Good luck to you though. Most of the time I hear these things are easy to beat because the officers rarely show up. But I've never had to fight one myself.
    | | |

Comment

Next step is the magistrate. If you want to dispute it, go to the magistrate just be honest the same way. If your lucky the magistrate is fair.

- -

Comment

thanks for the advice guys. In most counties I would trust the system, and just talk to the judge on the date, but I am hearing scary things about this county. whew. Guess I might just have to feel dirty and get a lawyer.

*sorry, this should probably be in Sandbox. Admins?

Comment

Iíve heard what Atomic Dog said, that officers donít show up. A few years ago I also heard that if you contest it, it may just get thrown out if the courts are busy. But Iíd definitely spend the money to keep the insurance rates down and keep your license. At the very least I think you have to take your chances with a judge. Good luck.
          |TG| Yanu - Bad handwriting since the 8th grade.

Comment

I'll third what they have heard, its either true or a popular urban myth. I've never had a chance to test it but it does make a logical kind of sense.

Comment

If you've never been to traffic court, go before your date. See how it folds out and you will get a really good idea of what will happen to you.

The cop will show up at court. Your word against the officers is not worth jack. Especially if you have 3 speeding tickets.

Get in touch with an attorney. A consultation is not that expensive and will let you find out what your options are. Common sense is not the prevailing force in traffic courts.

Comment

i don't know about IL but here in texas it averages $75 for a lawyer to take care of it

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
                  Get yourself an attorney and fight it...or fight it without one...but definitely fight it. At 1474 ft I think you have a good case, especially due to the volume of traffic. That's really all you can do. Good luck to you though. Most of the time I hear these things are easy to beat because the officers rarely show up. But I've never had to fight one myself.
                  Yep I had my attorney fight for my ticket because of the distance as well, speak to a attorney and get it beat..

Comment

Sounds somewhat funny to me and I agree with the others. Get yourself a lawyer and see about fighting the ticket on the grounds they give you.

On a somewhat related note I've been told by local PD that braking at a speed trap is an admission of guilt unless you are in danger of collision. If you were going at the speed limit then you wouldn't need to slow down, so slowing down at a speed trap means you were going over before you reached it. Telling the officer that you knew it was a speed trap could be used against you as they could take it to mean you knew you were speeding and slowed down to avoid getting caught.
                    My sanity is not in question...
                    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Tell the ADA you want a trial by jury. You can request a judge mediate the issue, but you're more likely to find that the 12 people who sit on your case are sympathetic.

Basically, what do you stand to lose by going to court?

If anything, you could fight the 3 previous tickets argument by arguing that you never mind paying the fine for a crime you are guilty of, but see no sense in pleading guilty to something you did not commit.

The cop may or may not show, but I wouldn't base my entire case off of that.

Comment

1. I don't feel sorry for you, (because I don't believe you)... but the American way is innocent till proven guilty...

2. So get an attorney, it's your right, to do so and he is your best chance.

3. True most officers won't show up unless:
                        a. they are a traffic cop, which most running traps are.
                        b. you disrespect or piss them off. (I put a circle with a dot on the back to remind me, when i get the sopeana, I pull the ticket...if there is a "*******' symbol, i go...if not thats my day off I'm staying home and gaming, lol.)
                        c. if they have missed too many court dates they will get in trouble and be ordered to be in court or risk punishment.

4. On a overpass with todays Lasers, 1500 foot is well within a good range.

5. good luck... most everyone speeds, consider it a game and you got caught...now that money will go to the jurisdiction for parks and recreation, and other local government operation, (but in Florida, it can't go to Law Enforcement.)
                        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

PS... a jury is a bad thing if you have a record.
                          Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I speed all the time, but I'm usually speeding behind someone who is going faster than me. I usually do 70 in a 60, and 75 in a 65. There is always someone going faster to. Speedtraps are a joke, and I usually see them far ahead and slow down. I've yet to be pulled over for speeding yet. Luckily. I'd deff fight it. (I believe you.)

Comment

i speed WELL above speed limits but that is only since i know every spot along my commute for cops plus i have a very very good radar detector. Im talkin at least 20-25 mph over, and if someone wants to race, well, ive done a buck 40 in a 50 lol. The only thing i have to watch out for is the cop coming towards me and flickin his radar on. Ive gotten pulled over about 5 or 6 times for speeding but never got a speeding ticket. Seatbelt, cell phone, etc. Mostly due to the fact i have a CDL and 20mph over they take my license away so they dont want to do that to truck drivers.

Having said that, i prolly should slow down but i never will. I drive for a living and consider myself an above average driver and know how to handle fast speeds. People just drive way too slow around here :D As for your problem, i would def at least talk to a laywer. Most have a no consultation fee.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X