Claw's Hike up Half Dome: Yosemite National Park

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claw's Hike up Half Dome: Yosemite National Park

This last saturday myself and a few friends decided to take a hike up Half Dome, on of Yosemite National Parks wonders. These are some pics of my trip. Hope you guys like it and if you ever get a chance to do it, I highly recommend it!!

Mist Trail:

Not too much because we didn't get a whole lot of rain this past spring.

Our Destination:

This was our mission. To reach the top of the half dome and conquer!!

Vernal Falls:

Our first leg of the trip. This waterfall is about 2-300ft high. There are some rough carved steps that you walk up alongside parts of the falls. The steps themselves ranged from a few inches to as high as 18-20in in some spots which made it difficult to climb at times.

Nevada Falls (I think that was the name)

This was our second leg of the trip. There were more steps and some switchbacks that we had to climb up but once we got to the top of these it was kinda flat and a little easeir for the time being.

Yosemite Valley:

Well some part of it anyways. This stretch of the trip was probably the second toughest part. It was long and pretty arduous but there was some awesome scenery too!

Neverending stupid mountain:

This 4th leg of the trip was sheer hell!!! The mountain was steep, with rough stepping stones/stairs and it lasted forever. By this time we had been hiking for 4.5 hrs and we were starting to piss each other off!

The Cables:

Finally we made it up that stupid mountain to the base of our destination: Half Dome. This was probably the hardest leg of the trip. You had to "scale" the side of the dome using the cables and the 2x4s that were laid down. It's about a 400' 40-65deg. angle in some parts of the cable. Tough stuff!!

The Reward:

Some of the most [email protected]$$ scenery I've ever seen. My cheap camera didn't do it justice but it was awesome!!

Back Down:

This is a pic of our descent back down the side of the dome. You can get a better idea of the cables. There's only 1 way up and 1 (safe) way down. You can imagine how dangerous it is with a steady line of people going both directions during peak times of the year.

Time to pack it up & head home:

We did it. We came, we saw, and kicked some Half Dome Arse!! The Claw is on the right w/some of my good buds.

Overall, the hike up was around 6 hrs give or take numerous breaks and another 4 to get back down. We only had enough daylight to hang out on top for about an hour before we had to make our descent before sundown. This was probably the most physically and mentally challenging thing I've done in my life. There were times when I just wanted to quit; I would cramp up on my legs and calves and felt like I couldn't do it especially during climbing the cables. But w/the help of some good friends and alot of determination I was able to get to the top :) The hike itself was about 19 miles give or take.

Just wanted to share this w/my 33rd homies and the rest of TG in case anyone was interested.

Oh I'm afraid of heights too BTW...
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Re: Claw's Hike up Half Dome: Yosemite National Park

Awesome!

Were there two cable ladders? Or did the traffic flow change direction on a single ladder?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Very cool! I was out there in June though I didn't do any of the intense hikes; just stayed in the valley. I'd like to take a trip out there again at some point and do the harder hikes like the half dome.

Congrats!

-Scott

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
        Awesome!

Were there two cable ladders? Or did the traffic flow change direction on a single ladder?
        Negative. There was just the one cable ladder for two way traffic. There were a bunch of people who would go down on the outside of the cable ladder, just clinging onto one cable vs holding onto both. They were the crazy ones. The ladder was only about 3-4 feet in width so if there was people going down w/their huge backpacks it was a pretty tight squeeze.

Thanks Tuoply!!
        |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
        [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Nice pictures! I've been to Yosemite twice but it's been over 10 years since my last trip. It's an amazing place to visit. I'm coming to San Fran for the Tennessee/California game Labor Day weekend but sadly I don't think we'll have time to make a side trip to Yosemite. Next time I'm in California though I am going to try and head back. Beautiful place.

Comment

Super nice day hike man. Did it with my pregnant wife last month. It will really remind you of where your butt muscles are.

Yosmite is way cool in the summer.

sarcoma
            Sarcoma.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcoma View Post
              Super nice day hike man. Did it with my pregnant wife last month. It will really remind you of where your butt muscles are.

Yosmite is way cool in the summer.

sarcoma
              Your pregnant wife did THIS 19 mile hike...bravo to her...I would'nt be giving her any guff !!

Seriously--Claw...great pictures and great accomplishment. I did ALOT of backpacking back in the day before I was married. My wife is not an outdoors person so Its been few and far between for mountain trips...

Man... 19 miles is killer for a single day.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I was up there the next day...
                photos ---> http://flickr.com/photos/speedzoku/
                great job on the hike.
                Word

Comment

Connect